Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finally got something to post about. It's been a while.

Out at a southern beach here in SoCal located an isolated pocket of goodies. Hitting clad dimes first about every few feet and then lots of quarters and nickles. The pocket was about 100 feet along the beach and 20 feet wide. It is a lot of fun finding these pockets but I was telling myself that I'd not be digging if I knew all that I found were clad coins. And the very next scoop had something yellow and heavy!

It weighs in at 23.9 grams and it's 14K! Down about 7 to 8 inches deep. Interestingly enough it was with my old Dual Field and not the Garrett ATX. The ATX is deep (a nickle at 15") but it's also heavy and I can't do too many multiple detecting days with it. Plus I like the quicker, sharper response with the Dual Field. So sadly I think the ATX will be taking a rest...perhaps a long rest.

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's nothing like gold! Okay, one exception, heavy gold! Nice chunk of yellow!!!!!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for your your responses! As far as sticking with the ATX...I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I really like it's depth..if anything it's TOO DEEP! I've left many targets which were over 20" deep. I don't think any of them were gold... but...the thought is always there. For me the shallower but more decisive quick signal of the Dual Field is more comfortable...and...I believe more productive on the beach. I've seen the TDI Pro in action and for depth it's at least as good as the ATX but lighter and with a better White's type signal.

Taking notes here. So the ATX is deeper then a dual field? Excuse my lack of education on it but what is ATX technology, P.I. Or VLF?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lovely piece of gold! You are doing everything right when you can get a chain at 8". I bow down to your expertise.

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Lost Items: It's PI. If you Google Garrett ATX you can find more info. It has some additional features from other PI's such as iron check and has a strength meter in the form of led lights. I'm not sure of the specific technology differences but I know it's deep.

My buddy bought a used White's TDI Pro and we did a comparison at the beach. Both machines picked up a nickel at 17" and a 8 gram gold ring at a similar depth. The Dual Field petered out at about 12" to 14". My buddy recently texted me about finding a Merc dime at 20" (at the beach) and knowing his hearing is something unusual I know it's gotta be true.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost Items: It's PI. If you Google Garrett ATX you can find more info. It has some additional features from other PI's such as iron check and has a strength meter in the form of led lights. I'm not sure of the specific technology differences but I know it's deep. My buddy bought a used White's TDI Pro and we did a comparison at the beach. Both machines picked up a nickel at 17" and a 8 gram gold ring at a similar depth. The Dual Field petered out at about 12" to 14". My buddy recently texted me about finding a Merc dime at 20" (at the beach) and knowing his hearing is something unusual I know it's gotta be true.

Cool thanks for responding. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Nice one Joe...wtg buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread