beach houses

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astro-Nut, here in CT. on the sound the actual beach is not owned by the land owner. Even though they are called "private beaches" you can access them from the side. In other words you can't cut across private property to get to the beach. You have to start at a public area and walk down the beach. Rich.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
In Southwest florida, the public has the right to access the beach up to the high water mark.

But some landowners do own the beach in front of their homes down to the high water mark.

So you can walk past these homes on the beach as long as you stay below the high tide mark.

You do not have the right to cross private property to reach the beach, and you may not find public parking within miles of some beaches.

Additionally, in some local communities, local law enforcement will respond if a home owner calls to complain about trespassers on their beach property.

And finally, there are some areas that are leased to salvors, and you may not legally use a metal detector below the low tide mark in the water.

The good news is the best finds won't be in front of private homes with limited access, but will be on the public beaches where there is plenty of parking, easy beach access, and large crowds congregate.

Bill

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill is correct. I know a woman who has a private beach too far to access from a public spot. I am the only one thats been able to detect it whenever I want. I'm lucky if I even find a pulltab :dontknow:

GkBasnight

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2009
greenville,nc
Detector(s) used
whites beachhunter
here in north carolina, public has the right to the first plant growth. they may own and have rights above plant growth. if you access it from a public area and walk 5 miles below the plant growth above the water, they cant touch you.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is an attorney that specializes in this area. Plus we own a house with a private beach in Deleware. In that state we own up to the mean water line. (appx halfway between high and low tide)

Also a private beach allows people to enter your beach and continue thru, they may also stop and observe the view for a moment or two. but they cannot set up for an extended time, unless they have a pass to be on the beach.

The neighboring beach is also private ... I have MDed there many times (much more crowded an touristy)and have not had an issue of not having a pass. I haven't found anything but 50 calibur bullet on their beach since they've replenished it but I'll try it again this spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread