Beach hunt yields a couple wheaties.

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
My local small beach was shut down for the season, and beach combed/raked clean.. Not a footprint on the beach when my son and I arrived..
That was a good sign,, so was digging clad after clad every couple feet... but what is shocking is, not the Silver Spoon I found 16" down, but the 2 wheaties I found. This beach sits along a manmade lake formed in the 1920's, while digging down deep on a weak signal, and I'm telling you, 10" for a penny is a probably a stretch for the ATPro, but something was working in my favor that evening, Quarters at 12" dimes at 8-10" I have only used this detector for a month and these were the deepest I was getting yet,,, my garden shovel is 10" and I was checking every dig for depth now. The wheaties were sitting on the edge of a piece of old timber under 6' of sand and nearly 4" of hard black clay.. I need to research some old topo maps and see what was in this area of the beach, its just unusual to find 2 wheaties especially under the clay..
Surprisingly the hunt only involved coins, matchbox cars, the silver spoon,(i find a lot of these) and just fragments of pulltabs that annoyed me,,,a freakin little spec down 5 " and without a pinpointer I was going nuts thinking it was small gold jewelry...

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local small beach was shut down for the season, and beach combed/raked clean.. Not a footprint on the beach when my son and I arrived..
That was a good sign,, so was digging clad after clad every couple feet... but what is shocking is, not the Silver Spoon I found 16" down, but the 2 wheaties I found. This beach sits along a manmade lake formed in the 1920's, while digging down deep on a weak signal, and I'm telling you, 10" for a penny is a probably a stretch for the ATPro, but something was working in my favor that evening, Quarters at 12" dimes at 8-10" I have only used this detector for a month and these were the deepest I was getting yet,,, my garden shovel is 10" and I was checking every dig for depth now. The wheaties were sitting on the edge of a piece of old timber under 6' of sand and nearly 4" of hard black clay.. I need to research some old topo maps and see what was in this area of the beach, its just unusual to find 2 wheaties especially under the clay..
Surprisingly the hunt only involved coins, matchbox cars, the silver spoon,(i find a lot of these) and just fragments of pulltabs that annoyed me,,,a freakin little spec down 5 " and without a pinpointer I was going nuts thinking it was small gold jewelry...

Awesome. What were the years?!?!?

OP
OP
S

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
50D and 52D
Its unusual for me since I the beach is small, hunted im sure many times in the past, but where these were found were under hard clay, so I thinking there is some earlier history before this became a beach. Ive been to this beach early 70's and its always looked the same to me. I going for some more recon Sunday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread