Beach hunt yields a silver ring and 7+ lbs of lead weights 25 June 2013

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to hit the beach near my house today since I haven't had any luck in the other locations I've been hunting (seems to be the case for most around here, beaches have been sanded in for a while now plus the extensive beach replenishment in some locations). Went straight out into the water and stayed in the waist to neck deep section and found what you see here:
20130625_190355.jpg 20130625_190401.jpg 20130625_190429.jpg 20130625_190450.jpg 20130625_190457.jpg 20130625_193920.jpg 20130625_193945.jpg 20130625_194003.jpg

The ring is stamped 925 and looks to possibly be an old mood ring. Wasn't sure so I looked online and apparently mood rings don't do to well in the water and once they get water inside the stone it kills it and turns it black. Total weight is 6.8 grams. The lead weights were interesting......I was just about to leave the water when I got a good signal and thought "ok, one more and home". Took a few scoops to get to what it was and when I looked, I had two of these large round weights in the scoop. I checked the hole again and another signal and started on that one too. By this time the tide was coming back in and the hole was getting deeper and wider (I was through the sand layer after 2 scoops and into the THICK, HEAVY grey clay that was underneath) and now I'm on my tiptoes and dancing back and forth across and around the hole trying to get leverage to dig (I'm sure some of you have been there before!) and see how many more of these things there were and what they may have belonged to. I'm glad there wasn't that many people left on the beach at this time as I'm sure they would all be getting a nice chuckle over what "that moron was doing out there with the tide coming in and bobbing up and down and all around the same place" , or at least that is what I imagine they would think....lol Anyway, ended up pulling 7 of them out of the same hole. Each one is 1 lb and has a slot cut all the way through.

I'm guessing they are either off of a fishing net that rotted away or somone's anchor for a small boat or crab pot. Any thoughts from the gang here on the weights or the ring? Pretty sure the ring is a dead mood ring but not 100% on that. All in all it was a good hunt finally that produced something cool. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 3

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Silver!

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, I like the ring! Congrats and HH!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Like the simplicity of your silver ring! :icon_thumright: Love your wonderful description of the watery hunt! Have no idea about the weights but they wouldn't have been used for an anchor even for a small boat, imo. Your theory of net or crab pot weights sounds more likely. While your ring may be a mood ring, also there are many black stones used in jewelry, so maybe jet, obsidian, onyx, etc. -- most any good jeweler would tell you without charge what that stone is. Andi

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver ring there Doc , always feels :thumbsup: good getting lead out of the environment too. Think I may go hit a fishing spot today maybe find something good there :treasurechest:

CARM

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to hit the beach near my house today since I haven't had any luck in the other locations I've been hunting (seems to be the case for most around here, beaches have been sanded in for a while now plus the extensive beach replenishment in some locations). Went straight out into the water and stayed in the waist to neck deep section and found what you see here:
View attachment 819624 View attachment 819625 View attachment 819626 View attachment 819627 View attachment 819628 View attachment 819629 View attachment 819630 View attachment 819631

The ring is stamped 925 and looks to possibly be an old mood ring. Wasn't sure so I looked online and apparently mood rings don't do to well in the water and once they get water inside the stone it kills it and turns it black. Total weight is 6.8 grams. The lead weights were interesting......I was just about to leave the water when I got a good signal and thought "ok, one more and home". Took a few scoops to get to what it was and when I looked, I had two of these large round weights in the scoop. I checked the hole again and another signal and started on that one too. By this time the tide was coming back in and the hole was getting deeper and wider (I was through the sand layer after 2 scoops and into the THICK, HEAVY grey clay that was underneath) and now I'm on my tiptoes and dancing back and forth across and around the hole trying to get leverage to dig (I'm sure some of you have been there before!) and see how many more of these things there were and what they may have belonged to. I'm glad there wasn't that many people left on the beach at this time as I'm sure they would all be getting a nice chuckle over what "that moron was doing out there with the tide coming in and bobbing up and down and all around the same place" , or at least that is what I imagine they would think....lol Anyway, ended up pulling 7 of them out of the same hole. Each one is 1 lb and has a slot cut all the way through.

I'm guessing they are either off of a fishing net that rotted away or somone's anchor for a small boat or crab pot. Any thoughts from the gang here on the weights or the ring? Pretty sure the ring is a dead mood ring but not 100% on that. All in all it was a good hunt finally that produced something cool. Thanks for looking!

Nice finds. I think they are weights for a dive belt. Divers wear weight belts to keep them on the bottom.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I think they are weights for a dive belt. Divers wear weight belts to keep them on the bottom.

Thought of that but the belt would have to be really narrow.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a mood ring, Aren't most mood rings open in the back so your body heat can activate them?

You know, I'm not really sure on that one. I guess the best call is to take it to a jeweler and see what they say.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the ring to a local jeweler today. The cleaned it, buffed it out some and according to them, it is not a mood ring but the stone may be hematite. Pretty cool and it cleaned up nice!

20130627_105727.jpg 20130627_141909.jpg 20130627_141943.jpg 20130627_141959.jpg

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I only had someone who knows about jewelry. No idea how old (if it is old) it is. Anyone here know jewelry? Isn't Breezie pretty good at this stuff?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions