Beach hunter poll: do you dig iron signals?

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Seems like us beach hunters might benefit if we all removed a little bit of iron from the beaches, otherwise 'iron-masking' is gradually going to become more of a problem for everybody. I realize that some beaches are just too iron-rich to make this feasible [you would be digging almost ALL iron], but I've started to dig a little bit of iron lately, especially if good signals are sparse. I've also hunted beaches where iron signals were rare, and I've passed them over. So, my approach depends on my mood. If I find a good cut or erosion area where both iron and high conductors are plentiful, I'll "strip mine" the area to help unmask the good signals. No moral stand here....just curious about the habits of my fellow beach hunters. - Jim

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I did all signals in the water, especially Clearwater beach, if there is a signal better dig it. So Clearwater Beach is extremely clean, not just from my detecting but everyone else that hunts that area on a regular basis.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ziphius, it sounds logical: "dig all iron! afterall ...'you never know if it's a tinsel thin chain'...., afterall 'it might be masking something', etc.. etc...." Logical sincere conclusions. But REALITY is a different thing.

Here is my take after 30 yrs. of beach hunting central CA beaches: It would only work if you were on 1) touristy clean beaches where iron isn't a big problem to begin with, and 2) if you were on beaches where everyone else had the same logic, and everyone else dug iron too, etc....

Because otherwise, if you are on a) beaches that have industrial history (next to wharves, allow campfires, etc...) and b) beaches where you are the only one, or the first one, to think you're going to dig iron, then you will be a pitied soul indeed.

I have seen this happen again and again: someone in my area reads the beach pulse advertisements that they are specifically suited to the beach, go much deeper than discriminators, punch through black sand, get the teensiest of fine tinsel chains, etc... Sounds logical! But when they show up on a nail-riddled beach after a storm, and are digging 50 nails to each conductive target, they look over at the guys with discriminators effortlessly digging non-stop conductive targets. They run home, ditch the pulse machine, and buy a discriminator (like the Excaliber or whatever).

The only beaches around me that a person can use a pulse on, *might* be 1 or 2 of the very touristy upscale beaches, that haven't had much recent industrial history, and don't allow beach bonfires (which tend to introduce nails, d/t burned pallets). Other than that, pulse machines (or persons thinking they'll use the all-metal mode of a their regular machine, in order to get a bit more depth) are quickly left in the dust.

I've heard that in southern CA, where tons of people have been using pulse machines for many years, patiently cleaning out the nails, that it's not quite so bad as this. Same for Hawaii, where perhaps nasty black sand, and the absence of industrial iron junk might make "digging iron" (with a pulse or in-all-metal mode) appropriate. But for a lot of other beaches, you will find that you would go pscyho trying to dig all the iron.

I tend to go out after storms, when erosion has made depth a non-factor. The name of the game in some thick conditions is speed: the more you can get before the next high tide chases you out, the better. Therefore the more iron I can pass, the better.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my PI it's dig it all on the beaches when I hunt there . Since I live about one hour from my closest beach I want to at least come home with something in my pouch ! Also much easier scooping sand than digging plugs from the hard turf . However now that it's cooler temps and summer is over , I'll be changing back to park hunting again with my Explorer II . " Just for sniffin park silver ! "

HH ,
Mike

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Tom,

Funny, everytime I use my Excalibur and dig a good target that is audible in all-metal mode, but is too deep for DISC, I'm tempted to make the leap to a PI. Then I come across 5 iron targets in a row, bypass them by switching to DISC mode, and think, nahhhh...

I suppose most swimming beaches are plagued by just-enough-bonfire-nails to make iron masking negligible and your time would better be spent discriminating. Only so many holes you can dig in your lifetime. :D

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread