Beach Hunting 1715 - Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.

th2011

Jan 1, 2011
Murphy, NC
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
I was wondering if there is anyone living north, i.e. GA, TN, or NC, interested in teaming-up and going south to detect the beaches tomorrow, through Monday, and returning Tuesday? I would be traveling through Atlanta, GA, down I-75.

If the beaches cut, it will be tomorrow through Monday. It's a 50/50 chance cause winds are from the East, and later going to SW, but a possible surge will expose the dunes.

Any comments, or opinions encouraged.

Bridges not closing as of now. But, if they do this evening at 8PM, I still have way to get us onto island.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

UPDATE, no takers and I have been watching closely the Web CAMs, storm wind and surge predictions, plus speaking to people on the beach. No cutting as of yet, and possibly none to come. Wind and surge not lining-up. Maybe tonight at 1200.

Ed

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. I want to live through this storm.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if there is anyone living north, i.e. GA, TN, or NC, interested in teaming-up and going south to detect the beaches tomorrow, through Monday, and returning Tuesday? I would be traveling through Atlanta, GA, down I-75.

If the beaches cut, it will be tomorrow through Monday. It's a 50/50 chance cause winds are from the East, and later going to SW, but a possible surge will expose the dunes.

Any comments, or opinions encouraged.

Bridges not closing as of now. But, if they do this evening at 8PM, I still have way to get us onto island.

Anyone interested, please PM me. I will delete this post tomorrow if no interest by late tonight.

Ed

AUdreamers just said he's up in the NC mountains with his wife's family. Ask him if he wants to come back down and find another dragon whistle.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the itch right now.

Watching the Jupiter Beach cam, the only one working that I can find. Looks like long 10 foot waves have taken out 3-4 feet of sand already.

Jupiter 9-50.jpg

Tornado warning in Jupiter right now though.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St. Lucie County has lifted its mandatory evacuation order of the barrier island, mobile homes and low-lying areas, but officials ask residents to consider voluntary evacuation.
The north and south bridges to Hutchinson Island are open, but a sheriff's spokesman said officials are posted at the bridges and county lines on A1A, asking those trying to enter to show proof they are residents, business owners or employees — either a barrier island re-entry placard or two forms of documentation.

earl1120

Greenie
Jul 19, 2006
Anderson Twp.
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350 this week
I live in Cincinnati and had planned on going to the Maryland assateque area this week and cancelled. If I was single I'd have gone down there anyway. I know through my four years of mding those beaches are going to produce a lot of treasures that were buried last week.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did anyone see what happened in the Bahamas? The Ocean is gone as far as you can see...search before it comes back!

I live in Cincinnati and had planned on going to the Maryland assateque area this week and cancelled. If I was single I'd have gone down there anyway. I know through my four years of mding those beaches are going to produce a lot of treasures that were buried last week.

No storms or wave action in that area last week...what are you talking about?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What he's talking about is the fact that the entire West side of the upper part of Long Island shoreline is now a desert. The storms East/West wind has literally pushed all the water offshore and miles of shoreline is now without water cover..Thats ok..it'll be back very soon. Hunt while you can ...I know where I'd be right now if I could...

ag

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
What he's talking about is the fact that the entire West side of the upper part of Long Island shoreline is now a desert. The storms East/West wind has literally pushed all the water offshore and miles of shoreline is now without water cover..Thats ok..it'll be back very soon. Hunt while you can ...I know where I'd be right now if I could...

ag

You don't want to be anywhere out there when the water comes back unless you take a good life raft with you! When the effects of the pressure and winds from Irma subside enough to release the water and high tide rolls in, the water will come back with a vengeance.

Frank

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice Frank,
When the waters receded at KanyaKumari India. The local ran into the seabed to collect shells Most likely for resale because that is a major tourist area. The waters returned and drowned many many shell seekers. I was there about 2 weeks after the event and all of the locals were still afraid to go near the water for fear of it happening again.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he's talking about is the fact that the entire West side of the upper part of Long Island shoreline is now a desert.

No, he said
Maryland assateque area
Bahamas yes, Maryland, NO, there is nothing going on there.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice Frank,
When the waters receded at KanyaKumari India. The local ran into the seabed to collect shells Most likely for resale because that is a major tourist area. The waters returned and drowned many many shell seekers. I was there about 2 weeks after the event and all of the locals were still afraid to go near the water for fear of it happening again.
It is happening on the west Florida coast.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the hit to the east coast of Florida will be as bad as anticipated. I was out antiquing and digging today. Nothing earth shattering found.

OP
OP
th2011

th2011

Jan 1, 2011
Murphy, NC
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
So, last night at 11:30-0200 hrs there was a short window of high tide with ESE 60 MPH wind, should have cut the dunes. Does anyone have any reports of finds?

Please post reports and photos of coastline, erosion this morning between Sebastian and Ft. Pierce inlets.

Current photo of beach Web Cams, no erosion from last night's tide.

I don't think the hit to the east coast of Florida will be as bad as anticipated. I was out antiquing and digging today. Nothing earth shattering found.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-11 07.41.20.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-11 07.41.20.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot 2017-09-11 07.40.52.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-11 07.40.52.png
    274 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot 2017-09-11 09.08.28.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-11 09.08.28.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kind of doubt anybody went out last night, but you never know. Some places have flash flooding per the news this morning.

OP
OP
th2011

th2011

Jan 1, 2011
Murphy, NC
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
There were at least six people I know on site last night. I am just awaiting reports. They are either sleeping right now, or out searching still. I think there was no serious erosion from all video evidence of online web cam photos, plus there would have been some reports of finds immediately on FB, etc.

I kind of doubt anybody went out last night, but you never know. Some places have flash flooding per the news this morning.

OP
OP
th2011

th2011

Jan 1, 2011
Murphy, NC
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
Some Recoveries

Update: Some silver and musket balls recovered during this storm.

So, last night at 11:30-0200 hrs there was a short window of high tide with ESE 60 MPH wind, should have cut the dunes. Does anyone have any reports of finds?

Please post reports and photos of coastline, erosion this morning between Sebastian and Ft. Pierce inlets.

Current photo of beach Web Cams, no erosion from last night's tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread