Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing allot of shallow water hunting in the Colorado river here by me , I use a Tesoro Eldorado or an Ace 250, I do not have an under water unit so waist deep is best I can do right now ,I don't have any lakes nere for swimming , so I do all my water hunting in the river .I have done decent in the river as far as jewelry an finds.

Now here is my question , San Diego is only 177 miles from me an we have tossed around the idea of going there to beach hunt , I have noticed it seems the majority of beach hunting an finds come out deeper water ,I would only be able to detect shallow water an the beaches , would my chances for finds be any good or do you think I should just wait until I can afford a deep water machine .

How are dry beaches for the finds ?

thanks for your thoughts an HH
Tank :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• SDC10264.JPG
    SDC10264.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 669
  • SDC10264.JPG
    SDC10264.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tank,

If no waves as long as your machine is running stable why not? Problem is very seldom do large water bodies have no waves. I hunt in Lake Michigan and the last time I was there the forecast was for waves of 2 ft. in actuallity I was less than crotch deep with waves breaking over my head occassionally, thats more than 2 ft.!
A land machine would of been drowned for sure. Just my 2 cents worth.
Aren't there some large reseviors on the Colorado, with associated sands bars, boats etc. (depositors)
Best of luck!

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank, if you turn the sense way down you can hunt there, check out some of Crackbadger's finds at the beach with an Ace 250. The problem is as kaptainkosmic said, the waves have a way of sneaking up on you, even in knee deep water. I have been flipped head over heals more times then I can count while hunting only knee deep water when I was hit by a rogue wave when I wasn't paying close attention. I hunt East, West and South Florida from time to time, rogue waves on ever side at times.

You might keep and eye out for a good used water detector in your area. I just missed a nice Excal, with the WOT coil factory mounted for $500 in California. I had stumbled on the ad only an hour earlier I would be the proud owner of another Excal, and my third current water machine. I don't like hunting water with the 10 inch coil, I much prefer the 15 inch WOT.

Your not that far from where I want to retire in a few years, hang in there and I will loan you one of mine...... :wink: I fully intend to retire in that area, hunt the Colorado river, the gold fields, and maybe look for some metorities, as well as hit Southern California.........

Good Luck...............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case Tank, move on to new waters, Pockets is like a locust, when he leaves there is nothing left :hello:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how are the beaches for hunting do the dry sands on a beach hold as much as the water an wet sand ?

thanks for everyones thoughts an advice :icon_thumright:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank,

I took an Ace 250 to the beach a couple of times last year and was surprised at how well it worked there. I only did the dry sand and part of the wet sand. I entered the water a little bit with it, turned down the sensitivity and it seemed to work great. I found a lot of clad, some junk jewelry, and one silver ring.

To be honest with you about the good finds, they could be anywhere. A lot of the hunters get lucky out deep sometimes because the other 5000 hunters that hit the same beach couldn't get out there to those rings. I have found good targets from dry sand to wet sand, from ankle deep to neck deep. I have seen people find gold rings in places that one would never expect a ring to be for example near a garbage can.

Save up the finds and when you have enough try to find a good used water machine. I've been throwing all of my clad into a can and now have over $200 in there. I know I spend money to go out on a hunt, IE gas and parking meters, but one would spend it anyway doing other activities. I figure it's free money. That $200 was saved up just over the past 2 summers and I haven't been going that much. If I were to hit the beach daily I imagine over the 2 summers I would have over a $1000 in clad and only God knows how much in jewelry. I just sold my gold from last summer and used the money to buy my wife a replacement wedding ring, a "toy" for me, and several other items.

Have fun on your hunts and good luck.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have found 2 gold rings in the dry sand but by far my best finds came from wet sand or in the water. I haven't had much luck with the ace for salt water. You can do the wet sand with the sensitivity turned way down. good luck. I love beach hunting.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks for the replies everyone that answered a bunch , I'll let ya know how it all turns out .

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Yeah tank, I live here near Huntington Beach Ca., and I started hunting the beach just this month. I go at low tide around 5pm. I find clad, far and few. Fire pits and volleyball courts have been my best turn out. Some silver jewelery. I was in Laughlin one time and the river was low I mean REAL low and saw some detectors swinging. That I think that is your best shot. I know I lost 3 pair of glasses in that river riding wave runners. Good luck.

Pokerdad

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace is pretty good on dry sand . For surf a pi machine or The Excaliburs seem like the way to go.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks for everyones input

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just be careful with that Ace in the water, one slip up and your have useless scrap metal there. I want to hunt in the water too, but I am afraid because the waves here in NJ run 2-5 feet. I just missed a White's on auction last week, so I will try and get one for next year.

D

digum smacks

a wise man told me never leave feeding fish to find more feeding fish.if the hunting is good stay there.but if you go to sd.go prepared get a water machine and bring your others for dry sand or back up

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hay Bro .After seeing this picture of you, I can understand how you bent that metal scoop ya had. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: lol

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Hay Bro .After seeing this picture of you, I can understand how you bent that metal scoop ya had. :coffee2:

I think that's where the name TANK comes from. :thumbsup:

I bent the heck out of mine, one of the beach brute series. I think I snagged it on a 1000 lbs. bomb or something.

Sep 4, 2009
I find great things on my beach all the time Email when you are in my area and you can test one of my machines Julie of newport
[email protected] ps get an underwater machine! My friends and family drive to the river to copper canyon and dive they get so much valuable items it makes me sick so much so Im getting my diving card or license re activated!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread