Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never hunted the beach before. Any tips? Also a couple of questions:

do I need to cover my ace 350's electronics to protect from sand/spray in the dry sand since that part is not waterproof?

I don't plan on getting in the water, I don't feel like ruining my brand new detector :laughing7: but should I risk trying in the wet sand and just be careful to keep my machine dry? (not to mention the interference with the saltwater)

I also plan on making a scoop out of either sheet metal (I think it is tin or aluminum, not steel) or a small metal wastebasket if I can find one. Any tips on that?

And by the way I will be in Rockport or somewhere close to Rockport.

Thanks guys and HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am making my first trip to the beach with my AT Pro. Can't wait! If you are hunting dry sand, you might consider getting a plastic pitcher or grain scoop and drill holes in it. That way it won't set off your machine. Good luck! I am up in the DFW area but grew up not too far from Rockport. I am headed to Galveston in a few,

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice! I might consider a plastic scoop. Do you think it would hold up to stepping on it in the sand if I were to attach a long handle to it so I won't have to bend down?
good luck in Galveston!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never hunted the beach before. Any tips? Also a couple of questions:

do I need to cover my ace 350's electronics to protect from sand/spray in the dry sand since that part is not waterproof?

I don't plan on getting in the water, I don't feel like ruining my brand new detector :laughing7: but should I risk trying in the wet sand and just be careful to keep my machine dry? (not to mention the interference with the saltwater)

I also plan on making a scoop out of either sheet metal (I think it is tin or aluminum, not steel) or a small metal wastebasket if I can find one. Any tips on that?

And by the way I will be in Rockport or somewhere close to Rockport.

Thanks guys and HH

Commit yourself to the dry sand and grid, grid, grid. Get there early, or late, when everybody has gone home. Hit that "Towel" or Umbrella line hard (The high water mark inland for 50-feet). Make or get a GOOD sandscoop. You don't need a cover. Wetsand will just frustrate your machine, so turn the sensitivity WAY down, maybe 1 bar..

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it. I was thinking more of the leaning over and scooping it up! Hard on the back, but cheap. My understanding is that our machines have trouble with salt water, so be aware of that. I bit the bullet and spent about $100 on a long handle lightweight one that I can push on with my foot. Even at 3 lbs it takes some getting used to. I guess you need to decide if this is something you are going to do often or just once. I love hunting along the lakes in shallow water. We'll see how it does when salt is involved. Good luck!

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry, I will make sure to do the gridding in that area, but my family and I are probably going to be there most of the day, so I'll probably just find somewhere no one is at during crowded times. I may try the wet sand with the sensitivity down, if I feel I can handle my new machine in it :laughing7:.

Baylorhall, I probably will end up trying to make a metal scoop to save money, because I probably won't get to beach hunt very often, like you said. I guess we will just have to see what the saltwater does. Hopefully it's not too bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread