TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know what is the best, cheapest or lowest cost beach machine you know of made
by a major manufacturer, that is not necessarily designed for the beach but works real good
is small, compact and a basic "Yes/No" machine. (no bells and whistles)
Please don't tell me to go buy a $1500 Minelab Excal, or a $1000 Whites Surfmaster or something.

This is really asking about everyone who has ever walked a SALT WATER beach, in the wet sand
and what machines worked good for them in these areas.

Machines that were cheap, but sensitive, and did not make lots of noise in the wet sand.

I am interested in finding something that is Basic, and inexpensive
that I can travel with International,
that if some local police decides they like it better than me, I won't get my feelings hurt.

But can find gold in the low tide area without having to descrim out all the small items to get rid of
the salt feedback.

Machines with permanent headphones are out.... I don't want those heavy things on my head
all day....

Any Machines are possible under $300, any basic unit that you have used in Salt water sand
that performed well and did not give a lot of feedback and can be gotten cheaply.

All replies welcome
Richard

Upvote 0

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:thumbsup:
rake and shovel

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Machines that were cheap, but sensitive, and did not make lots of noise in the wet sand."

I don't think such a detector exsists but I will come close. Most of the entry level detectors will work great in the dry sand but not well in the wet saltwater sand. You can turn down the sensitivity till they don't crackle and pop but then your only getting a couple inches of depth. Also the salt water spray will quickly kill a less costly land unit even with a couple baggies enclosing it. Most of the cheap land units don't come with headphones either, but using one that beeps all day on the beach will attract every kid in miles and also thugs wanting your gold. What ever detector you choose you will have to dig a lot of pull tabs as disc these out will also disc out 90% of the gold rings.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task?

Good Luck,
Sandman

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
This is actually pretty easy. In that price range you can probably find a used older model Minelab Sovereign. The Sovereigns are the best wet sand hunters you can find. Same performance as the Excalibur. Pretty much turn on and go. Just set the sensitivity and hunt. Find the older blue hip mount bag or maybe a camera bag and then chest mount or hip mount it.

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
"Machines that were cheap, but sensitive, and did not make lots of noise in the wet sand."

I don't think such a detector exists but I will come close. Most of the entry level detectors will work great in the dry sand but not well in the wet saltwater sand. You can turn down the sensitivity till they don't crackle and pop but then your only getting a couple inches of depth. Also the salt water spray will quickly kill a less costly land unit even with a couple baggies enclosing it. Most of the cheap land units don't come with headphones either, but using one that beeps all day on the beach will attract every kid in miles and also thugs wanting your gold. What ever detector you choose you will have to dig a lot of pull tabs as disc these out will also disc out 90% of the gold rings.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task?

Good Luck,
Sandman

Somehow I think there was a miscomunication here....
I did not say that I would not use headphone, only that I wanted a machine that did not have
"Per manant" headphones.

Also I always dig everything on a beach, I want to be able to dig everything that is not an issue.

Also this

"The salt water spray will quickly kill a less costly land unit even with a couple baggies enclosing it"

Maybe your referring to a Chinese model or Radio shack, but I have never seen a quality manufactured
machine "Die" simply because you took it the beach where there might be some sea spray.

I use a DFX on the beach all the time and have never had it die, but it's a land designed machine.

Mostly the question is, has anyone used a "Basic" model machine from a major manufacturer that did
well in the wet sand at the beach...

I have in the past attempted to post variations of this question (Whats the best beach machine)
and always seem to get the guys who say I should invest the $$ thousands of dollars for a top
of the line beach machine.
These machines are nice, but I am a little worried about investing this kind of cash and then traveling
to other parts of the world and wondering if I will be returning with my investment or my life...

Tesoro's do well, but some do better than others.... on the wet salt beaches...
White's do well, but some do better than others ..... on wet salt beaches
Garrette's .....
Minelab's ....
Fishers....

The list goes on and on....
I'm trying to determine from everyone else's experience what worked good for you....
so that I can find something that will work good for me...

Now do you understand better ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of experience on the beaches using many detectors. With the baggie comment, cheap land detectors won't last long in the salt spray. Why do you think everyone suggests for you to use more expensive detectors. It isn't because we want you to waste money. As for headphones that are hardwired, only the pure water detectors have these with a couple exceptions, and all the land detectors I know have a plug for using headphones if you want.

"Mostly the question is, has anyone used a "Basic" model machine from a major manufacturer that did
well in the wet sand at the beach...

If you have learned anything here it is the inexpensive models have a major issue with the wet saltwater sand and black sand that is present at the wet shoreline. Maybe you are needing to look at a used Pulse detector. New ones run over $500 with headphones hardwired. Why not keep using your DFX in the wet sand as it can be adjusted well enough to run fairly stable. :laughing7: I know you will have to send it in for repairs soon. Why do you think we don't use them at the shore in the wet sand?

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Get you a good used CZ5 or CZ6a, preferrably the 6a since it is splash proof. They both operate with 2 frequencies ( 5 and 15 ) and are excellent machines in saltwater, they're just as deep or deeper than the CZ20/21. The CZ20/21 operates in just a beach mode, the 5 and 6a operate on either beach or regular mode and on most beaches the regular mode works really good and goes deeper than the beach mode. I used the 6a for years and can kick myself for ever selling it. I now use the Excal and yes, it is expensive. HH

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no such machine with the parameters you have defined that I can think of that is worth your time or money.

A cheap VLF machine will not function in wet sand well, and if it does, the depth will be pathetic.

You could buy a used machine for $200-$300, probably an older PI, but those typically have built in headphones, which you say are out. PI's also require a lot of practice to use effectively.

Sorry to be such a dark cloud. I hope you can find something.

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:
This is actually pretty easy. In that price range you can probably find a used older model Minelab Sovereign. The Sovereigns are the best wet sand hunters you can find. Same performance as the Excalibur. Pretty much turn on and go. Just set the sensitivity and hunt. Find the older blue hip mount bag or maybe a camera bag and then chest mount or hip mount it.

I second getting a used sovereign. If you only want a new metal detector for a cheap price, then I think your expectations probably aren't too realistic.

Also, you said you have posted variations of this question in the past and keep getting the same answers. Just curious why you keep asking then? If the answers are always the same, there is probably a logical reason for that.

As for saltwater destroying metal detectors. It's not likely that a little mist hits the machine and it just dies. It may take several months or more for problems to occur depending on the amount of salt that gets into the machine. The more salt, the faster it corrodes. The point is, even if it takes a little while for problems to arise, your machine most likely will not last as long as a machine kept away from the salt. There is a reason why people pay for a setup that will protect the circuits from salt. That's just how it is.

I am not trying to be rude, just realistic. HH

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hmmm, sounds like you know what you need already and aren't liking the answers you getting here anyway.

I have also used my DFX on the beach and it worked great, I've actually used it in VERY shallow water being extremely careful not to get the control box or screen housing wet. I think everyone here that's telling you to go with a water machine are just looking out for your best interest from their experiences.

If I were you, I'd just use your DFX that way your not out any extra money, unless of course it gets wet.

HH

socom

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ptr-91,SocomII,MIAI,Ruger#1,Excal,CZ-21,Sandshark,X-5,X-2,Sov,MXT,6000Di,ToltecII,etc
If your not going to be getting into any blacksand beaches,you can pickup up a used Cibola and have some fun.I live in S.Fla.and for 2yrs I've personally witnessed my brother useing that thing on the dry sand,wet sand,and into the water without getting the box wet.He has had that machine since it was first introduced,there is some corrosion on it,he sanded it down and painted it with Black Rustoleum Barbeque grill paint and no problems whatsoever.
I have used everything since 1994,and presently my beach machines are a Excal.,CZ-21, and Sandshark.But watching him zip along the beach from wet sand to dry,there are days I feel like throwing all that extra weight into the sea and getting one(lol)
Seriously, though there are days he cant run sens.up all the way,but He does very well.(that can be contributed to higher salt concentrations in certain areas,Tom Dandowskis forum goes into more detail on that issue)but for what you want to do with it,and the PRICE,and compactness,you really cant go wrong.
Anyway I'm new to this site and saw your issue and figured I'd throw you a bone
H.H

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasRT said:
Hmmm, sounds like you know what you need already and aren't liking the answers you getting here anyway.

I have also used my DFX on the beach and it worked great, I've actually used it in VERY shallow water being extremely careful not to get the control box or screen housing wet. I think everyone here that's telling you to go with a water machine are just looking out for your best interest from their experiences.

If I were you, I'd just use your DFX that way your not out any extra money, unless of course it gets wet.

HH

Everyones answers are good, not a problem with them.
I love my DFX on the beach and have found many nice things with it.
But it is big and bulky, and hard to pack in a bag as it does not break down so easy.
As for me asking this again, well maybe I did not Fraze the question right (I think) ... I don't know.

Cheap, lightweight, basic, and good in wet salt sand...
I have been hunting for more than 25 years, and I have had many differant machines....
The Stingray I and II are good beach machines, but heavy (weighted for diving) and have perm headphones that get hot in summer...
I've had the CZ6 which has a salt water switch, but in this mode you will walk right over small gold
as if it was not even there....
I tried a Tesoro Lobo years ago, and it made so much noise, it was useless for me....
I've had a Minelab Saverain but it seemed heavy and bulky to carry around on the beach for long hours.
I've since sold the Minelab and CZ.
But I'm only trying to see if anyone has used some of the basic models that these companies make.
They all make low end machines, Whites does, Tesoro does, Fisher does, Garrett does... so forth...
Just trying to determine if anyone on this forum has experience with any of them on Salt beaches and how they performed. Maybe hoping some people here have had
experience without me having to buy and sell dozens of different machines to get a picture how some of the basic ones work on the beach, that's all I am trying to do...
Sorry if some of y'all are offended.....

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
socom said:
If your not going to be getting into any blacksand beaches,you can pickup up a used Cibola and have some fun.I live in S.Fla.and for 2yrs I've personally witnessed my brother using that thing on the dry sand,wet sand,and into the water without getting the box wet.He has had that machine since it was first introduced,there is some corrosion on it,he sanded it down and painted it with Black Rustoleum Barbeque grill paint and no problems whatsoever.
I have used everything since 1994,and presently my beach machines are a Excal.,CZ-21, and Sandshark.But watching him zip along the beach from wet sand to dry,there are days I feel like throwing all that extra weight into the sea and getting one(lol)
Seriously, though there are days he cant run sens.up all the way,but He does very well.(that can be contributed to higher salt concentrations in certain areas,Tom Dandowskis forum goes into more detail on that issue)but for what you want to do with it,and the PRICE,and compactness,you really cant go wrong.
Anyway I'm new to this site and saw your issue and figured I'd throw you a bone
H.H

Thank you, this is the type of advise I am looking for, I will definitely look into the Cibola

socom

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ptr-91,SocomII,MIAI,Ruger#1,Excal,CZ-21,Sandshark,X-5,X-2,Sov,MXT,6000Di,ToltecII,etc
Let meknow if you have any issues
Brian

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I think Sandman and others are trying to suggest to you:
Water units are sealed, this meaning that even air isn't allowed into the unit. Components such as shafts and internal & external hardwares are also made of materials that are at least resistent to the corrosion caused by heavy salt concentrations. With just about anything else, the heavy concentrations of salt in the air will eventually invade the electronics of unsealed machines, just as it will eventually invade those components that are not made out of corrosion resistent materials. Depending on how often you use it and how well you are able to flush it after each use, you might get 2 years use out of a lesser unit, but most likely, based on the "experience" that your are seeking, it is more likely that you will have problems (and even more likely that they will serious problems) with a unit that is not designed specifically for salt environments. And this includes a lot of quality units that simply are not designed to withstand salt environments. Shoot, even sealed units that are designed for these salty environments still have problems. These guys are only trying to save you money and a lot of hassles on down the road, based on their years of "experience" detecting in salt water environments with all kinds of units. So they are not answering your question so much in regards to circuitry and clean performance, they are answering your question in regards to the harshness of the environment you will be facing. If it's not stainless steel, plastic, or fiberglass........"salt water and/or salt air is eventually going to eat it", and your hard earned money right along with it.

socom

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
"experience",stainless(stain-less),plastic,etc......................try Talonite,Titanium,Stellite,and Cobalt,have been battleing salt for 37yrs(lol)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:

Crazyman nailed it. :icon_thumright: Get a used Sov, put a WOT or SEF Butterfly coil on it and you have a beach vaccuum.....Can't take it underwater, but you want find a better detector for use between the seawall and knee deep water..............

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've gotten a lot of in put from some very experienced Modes. I'm a novice when it comes to water/beach detecting but when I knew I was relocating to a beach environment the only detector I found that would meet my needs was the Whites' BHID. I paid full price for it through their web site and it's been paid for easily with a great profit in just 7 months. Maybe you can find a used one to try it out. But as some of the more experienced guys have said, be warned of used water machines. You don't really know how well the previous owner maintained it.

It works great in the dry sand as well as in the water, ankle to armpit deep is where I search. Easy to use and operate.

I'm even thinking about taking it back to the States and leave my M6 home, next time I go just to see how it. works in the parks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tnt-k9 said:
You've gotten a lot of in put from some very experienced Modes. I'm a novice when it comes to water/beach detecting but when I knew I was relocating to a beach environment the only detector I found that would meet my needs was the Whites' BHID. I paid full price for it through their web site and it's been paid for easily with a great profit in just 7 months. Maybe you can find a used one to try it out. But as some of the more experienced guys have said, be warned of used water machines. You don't really know how well the previous owner maintained it.

It works great in the dry sand as well as in the water, ankle to armpit deep is where I search. Easy to use and operate.

I'm even thinking about taking it back to the States and leave my M6 home, next time I go just to see how it. works in the parks.

If you buy from a respected member of one of the web sites, odds are very high you will get a good detector.....I have bought 7 used detectors off the boards and everyone arrived in good working order.....Saved a bunch of $$$$. My last Excal cost me $475 used, bought a used WOT coil to splice on the excal, and home made straight shaft...Total investment $600, it is now my primary Excal detector.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:

I don't think such a detector exsists but I will come close. Most of the entry level detectors will work great in the dry sand but not well in the wet saltwater sand. You can turn down the sensitivity till they don't crackle and pop but then your only getting a couple inches of depth. Also the salt water spray will quickly kill a less costly land unit even with a couple baggies enclosing it. Most of the cheap land units don't come with headphones either, but using one that beeps all day on the beach will attract every kid in miles and also thugs wanting your gold. What ever detector you choose you will have to dig a lot of pull tabs as disc these out will also disc out 90% of the gold rings.

Good Luck,
Sandman

:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions