Beach Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a multi-frequency VLF metal detector for Wet & Dry saltwater sand, and they start at $1,100.00 and are not waterproof. You can get a Sand Shark (pulse induction) for the wet sand and water, and a single- frequency VLF detector for the dry sand for about $800-$900.00 - Good Luck!

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry's partially right about multifrequency VLF detectors, as my old Fisher CZ-20 transmitted at 5Khz and 15Khz simultaneously. But my really old Fisher 1280 Aquanaut was waterproof to 250', very stable on dry or wet sand or in the water itself, but it transmitted at 7.5Khz.

CZ-20 replaced by CZ-21 in 2008 - cost about $1,200.00 with a 10 1/2" coil.
1280X runs about $600.00, and get the large coil, not the standard 8" coil (too small). Coils on waterproof machines are not interchangeable.

OP
OP
D

dionne

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks guys. I'm just a small fish, so maybe I'll just stay in the dry sand.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Tiger Shark will work well in the dry sand and at some areas it works well in the wet sand in salt mode, but not everywhere. The 1280 is a good water detector but doesn't handle the wet sand as well but is protected from salt spray. If using a land detector in dry sand just cover the thing with a baggie but leave the bottom open so it can breath.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are beach hunting more than casually i recommend you buy the best machine u can afford..... because it WILL pay for itself. PIs are more reasonably priced than a VLF water machine. BUT.... you have to dig everything, so they are kind of site specific since they dont have disc like most VLFs. I wouldnt recommend one for the dry sand.... there is a LOT i mean a LOT of targets on the beach that get desolved away quickly in the salt water. I opted for a disc VLF over a PI as my first water machine because i would cover more beach with disc and dig less iron, it was a machine that could be used in the water, wet and dry sand with good depth. If you dont know your beaches ..... go VLF, you can always buy a PI next.

Dew

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
multi freq!! buy used!!! watch the detecting forum classifieds.
chuck.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey small fish!!! Don't settle for the dry sand. I made that mistake as well. You will rapidly become addicted and upgrade to something that can do the water as well. I recommend the sand shark; but really, if you don't get something that goes in the water then you will end up buying two machines. Ps...if you really want just the dry sand then I will sell you my White's CoinPro for $250, it retails at $300. I suggest you not take me up on it.

OP
OP
D

dionne

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Crispin said:
Hey small fish!!! Don't settle for the dry sand. I made that mistake as well. You will rapidly become addicted and upgrade to something that can do the water as well. I recommend the sand shark; but really, if you don't get something that goes in the water then you will end up buying two machines. Ps...if you really want just the dry sand then I will sell you my White's CoinPro for $250, it retails at $300. I suggest you not take me up on it.

Ha! Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread