BEACH PARKING FEES!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out something new yesterday and just thought I'd pass it along. A friend wanted to go MD'ing. He is a disabled vet and is pretty limited in the things he can do but has always enjoyed pouring over my finds along with his wife.

Anyway, I broke out my spare detector and off we went to Clearwater Beach. He brought his disabled parking pass along so we could get as close to the sand as possible. When we got there, I started to pay the machine but he stopped me and told me that the pass negated the fees. I didn't think so but he assured me that he was correct. Not wanting to chance it I started to pay and a meter maid came by. I flagged her down and asked. She at first said yes, we had to pay but added that personally she didn't write tickets for the disabled (pretty cool of her actually).

Anyway, my friend insisted so she called in. Came back that he is correct. At least in Clearwater, the DA pass is a free ticket. He claims it is true throughout Florida and he never has to pay in public parking.

It might be worth calling and checking in your area if you have one of these passes. Parking fees, like everything else are going through the roof and every little bit helps.

A side note to the trip is that he found a little silver ring and is now hooked. He and his wife are going over to Orlando Friday and visit Kellyco. We also found that although he has to stop and rest often when up on the sand, once he is in about waist deep water he has no problem and just keeps moving right along. He now has a hobby that will give him the exercise he needs too.

Another victim of the Treasure Bug....lol.

Deepsix

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excal/pirate said:
bran glad to see things looken up for you now go find some gold :thumbsup:

lol, I am! I've spent the past two days trying to find a diamond ear ring in a 14k setting that a friend of my gf's uncle lost at his beach house last week. He said it was a $2,800 diamond, and I could keep it if I found it. I insisted on getting it back to him, but he said that he already replaced it (1 of 4 in that ear) and told me to have it set in a ring and put it on her finger instead. I still haven't found it, but Angelo said I'm family now and welcomed me to come out there anytime I'd like. Guess he also wants to introduce me to his other family here in the area...

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsix47 said:
It just goes to show you that they really don't know their own laws because that's the same beach we were at. Ya have to wonder....

Deepsix

Yeah, I was right there in the lot next to Pier 60 for the festivities that night... guess they have no clue.

Bran <><

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
There was an article in the Sun-Sentinel yesterday, Sunday 7/26 on this issue. This is what the law states. "If you have a disabled parking permit, you can park free at an on-street meter for up to four hours". It goes on "So what about public garages, parking lots at airports, ports, convention centers, sports centers, downtown areas?" Florida law allows all of the above to charge people with a disabled parking permit. Just because the law says municipalities can charge vehicles woth a disabled parking permit doen't mean they do. But in South Florida, the only examples they can find that do not charge for parking are in Miami-Dade county. Miami International airport does not charge vehicles with a disabled parking permit, The law on parking fees for Florida people with disabilaties is Florida statute 316.1964.
I don't think this clears anything up, do you?

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was standing there in the Pier 60 parking lot when the cool meter maid called it in. She told us on the spot that my friend was correct and we didn't have to pay. I know a judge up in Clearwater. I think I'll give him a call and see what he says.

Deepsix

goldinmyear

May 25, 2009
So. OREGON.
Detector(s) used
GP-EXTREME, LST, XLT.
I am also a disabeled vet, but here in Oregon we don't have that problem ,in most places you're allowed to drive on the beach.
,and as a disabeled vet certain privilages apply...such as, Free licence plates, Free hunting ,and fishing licence, Golden age passport,no intrest on business,and home loans.
and many other tax breaks.OH'' I forgot somthing...Metal detecting for veterans..is free ,almost anywhere!! HH. Tor

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldinmyear said:
I am also a disabeled vet, but here in Oregon we don't have that problem ,in most places you're allowed to drive on the beach.
,and as a disabeled vet certain privilages apply...such as, Free licence plates, Free hunting ,and fishing licence, Golden age passport,no intrest on business,and home loans.
and many other tax breaks.OH'' I forgot somthing...Metal detecting for veterans..is free ,almost anywhere!! HH. Tor

Well, that's just one more reason I love Oregon. It's a "civilized" state....lol.

Deepsix

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Florida Statue: 320.084 states in part:

(5) A county or municipality, or any agency thereof, may not impose upon any person who is issued a license plate with the international accessibility symbol, under this section, any fee or penalty for parking in any metered or timed parking space except:

(a) As provided in s. 316.1964; or

Now then, 316.1964 states:

316.1964 Exemption of vehicles transporting certain persons who have disabilities from payment of parking fees and penalties.--

(1) A state agency, county, municipality, or any agency thereof, may not exact any fee for parking on the public streets or highways or in any metered parking space from the driver of a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit or a license plate issued under s. 316.1958 or s. 320.0848 or a license plate issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, or s. 320.0845 if the vehicle is transporting the person who has a disability and to whom the disabled parking permit or license plate was issued.

(2) The driver of a vehicle that is parked as provided in subsection (1) may not be penalized for parking, except in clearly defined bus loading zones, fire zones, or access aisles adjacent to the parking spaces for persons who have disabilities, or in areas posted as "No Parking" zones or as emergency vehicle zones, or for parking in excess of the posted time limits.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when a state, county, or municipal parking facility or lot is being used in connection with an event at a convention center, cruise-port terminal, sports stadium, sports arena, coliseum, or auditorium, the parking facility may charge a person whose vehicle displays such a parking permit a parking fee in the same manner and amount as it charges other persons.

(4) A parking facility that restricts the number of consecutive days that a vehicle may be parked may impose that same restriction on a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit issued to a person who has a disability.

(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when an on-street parking meter restricts the duration of time that a vehicle may be parked, a vehicle properly displaying a disabled parking permit is allowed a maximum of 4 hours at no charge; however, local governments may extend such time by local ordinance.

(6) A parking facility that leases a parking space for a duration that exceeds 1 week is not required to reduce the fee for a lessee who is disabled.

(7) An airport that owns, operates, or leases parking facilities, or any other parking facilities that are used for the purpose of air travel, may charge for parking vehicles that display a disabled parking permit or license tag issued under s. 316.1958, s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, s. 320.0845, or s. 320.0848. However, the governing body of each publicly owned or publicly operated airport must grant free parking to any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, or for utilization by a person who has a disability or whose vehicle is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

(8) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a county, municipality, or any agency thereof may charge for parking in a facility or lot that provides timed parking spaces any vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit, except that any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from any parking fees.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now then, for my own opinion:

Look at number 1.

1) A state agency, county, municipality, or any agency thereof, may not exact any fee for parking and so on....

Then look at number 8.

(8) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a county, municipality, or any agency thereof may charge for parking in a facility or lot that provides timed parking and so on...

Number 5 addresses the 4 hour subject stating that if I'm limited to 1 hr and paid (I'm non DV), the DV is automatically upped to 4 hours. Which may or may not qualify for the free parking based on who you are talking to at the time.

The statute is in direct conflict with itself.

Yeah buddy, gotta love them lawyers. Keeping themselves employed.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
OK I am not trying to get by without paying like everyone else at meters. I generally pay like everyone else has to do. Yes, I do metal detect and if I am in the water I can go on for several hours and do just fine but walking on pavement, in the sand or just general ground..... I can not walk for very far. About 15 minutes or so and then I need to stop and sit down. I generally will sit on one of the lifeguard towers if I can. Once I sit down (and sometimes I need to sit down) I have a very hard time getting back up and starting to walk again. I agree that those spaces need to be for people that need them but there are times when I need it myself and I will use it if I do.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Fee ! in New York you need a metal detector ( Permit ) for ONLY - ! $40.00 + you have to PAY ! to Park ! that New York Just a way to TAKE Your $$$$ a way form YOU !!!!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've considered getting a H/C pass but after reading the requirements, I figured I'd be turned down.
I have Muscular Dystrophy in my lower legs, 50% sensation in my feet, they are numb 24/7, nerves in right ankle are gone so have to wear brace to prevent foot drop. Though I'm only 59, I walk like a 99 year old man, very slowly which is great for metal detecting. You learn how to fall like a stunt man, just curl up and bounce. Though partially crippled, I figured I'd be turned down. :thumbsup:

Finditfast

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2009
??? Does anyone know anything about the Law in N.J. for Disabled Parking?
Thank you in advance.
Robert a.k.a. Finditfast ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread