Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Headed into the Deep South yesterday for another adventurous hunt to find some beach relics and possibly some other goodies..

The day didn't quite turn out as expected as I spent most of my hunt helping out a Grandmother who recently was given a new White's MXT Detector..I tried to explain that though the machine is a top notch machine, it is really not what should have been purchased for the beach..I suggested cleaning it up and trying to return it for a trade on a BHID 300 or DFPI as that would serve her better..My advice I think fell on deaf ears...
Her other family members showed up and they hunted next to me with the machine and the grandson I gave 4 brass bullet casings and a quarter that I dug while he was watching...That kid was so excited that he will probably not forget that moment..LOL

Anyways not really a fully dedicated hunt , but I still managed a few interesting things including a partial sterling silver souvenir spoon from Totem Pole Pioneers Seattle Washington, old button possibly from the Coast Guard,or Navy and some other older items...

TOTALS For The Day:

$2.78 in Clad...some copper pennies

1- Partial Souvenir Spoon Sterling Silver 3.0 Grams Totem Pole Pioneers Wash.

1- 1941 Wheatie..looks like it was just dropped

1- Old Complete Button ..most likely Coast Guard, Navy or Lifesaving...back needs to be cleaned some more to get back markings

1- Partial button back marked U.S. L.S.S United States Lifesaving Service

1- U.M.C. Nitro Club 12 Gauge Headstamp

Another unknown paper thin metal insignia piece ?????

A Half dozen spent bullet casings...4 given to the small child..

A Few Fishing Sinkers including a 10 ouncer and a couple of Lures..
Some more assorted Metallic Human Waste including some copper and brass pieces..
Good Luck & Happy Hunting !!!

a439d7ad-0746-447c-bb13-e2cc139eef0e.jpg

3-24-131.jpg

Any help identifying the button and gold colored piece would be helpful..

b73e88fc-58b8-415d-b012-94abb8460ef8.jpg

Upvote 0

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Congrats on another interesting hunt!!

The White's is gaining traction in some circles among "Jersey Hunters." Little bit of an Aussie backlash happening. There are some guys using the MXT, DFX, and V3i. The DFX and V are both multi freq and work on Jersey Beaches. One of the hunters pulled a gold ring out of the sand on his first visit to the beach in a long time.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigpoppa:
The long spoonish like sinker below the 10oz sinker - speak of heavy, has got my curiosity, as I have never seen any designed like that. Is this a one of a kind, or is this style common where you hunt?

OP
OP
Bigpoppa

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
SGC, im pretty sure that one is similiar to the Hopkins lure ..I found one similiar last year that was etched to resemble a fish and said Crippled Herring along the bottom.. This one has no details or is worn smooth ..I have a feeling it may be a homemade one cause though it looks old it has new looking clasps on the top and bottom to attatch the line and hooks..

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
SGC, come to Jersey, the spring Striper season is just starting!

To answer your question, metal salt water lures are very common here. Alva's,
Kastmaster, Hopkins, and I guess a few others. Many times the treble hooks these lures usually come with have been replaced with single hooks. And many of those with the barb flattened down. Though the target fish is Striper, Bluefish are always in the mix. Anything that makes those toothy crazy fish easier to get off the hook, is something a lot of Jersey striper guys do.

One of the big benefits to metal detecting in Jersey is that it adds to the tackle box. Then again, I guess that's true everywhere. Though gotta say, i don't find nearly as much tackle in SW FL as I do in Jersey.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread