Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Hey man after a lot of askin n searchin n readin I listened to Sandman and others and went with the Stealth 720i. Have not received it yet but I can't wait to try it. I, like you, will be hunting the same type lakes and streams with rocky/gravely bottoms and hard beaches.....get one and enjoy, I know I will

I also like the looks of the 720i, especially the handle set 20 degree off perpendicular. Maybe for later this year :)

Ian

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Point (Vish) harpda; and certainly not obvious.
Hopefully, I can now justify the purchase of an additional scoop from sunspot as the 720 is more than a little heavy when completely full of wet sand.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the best scoop for your bottom conditions is what matters. To small of holes means larger rocks and shells get in the way, to large and items fall through. As for weight lifting, once it point is planted I pull back on handle and lift in short hops with one hand till it is near the surface.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using the best scoop for your bottom conditions is what matters. To small of holes means larger rocks and shells get in the way, to large and items fall through. As for weight lifting, once it point is planted I pull back on handle and lift in short hops with one hand till it is near the surface.

Do you use the lift assist handle? I ordered one and I really think I'm gonna need it. I'm 66 and in relatively good shape but a little worried about the massive amounts of real estate this bugger can scoop :)

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast Ed: I mounted my lift assist handle high (36" above the top of the basket ) on my 54" shaft for the Sunspot Stealth 720i. It is much easier to carry the scoop on your shoulder this way. Instead of lifting , I rotate the shaft back till the full scoop of heavy wet sand breaks lose, then walk back pulling the scoop out of the hole. I also use the lift assist like a lever to torque the scoop on its tip to dump the wet sand.
If you mount the list assist low, it can be broken if it hits the ground when using the basket like a hoe to pull sand out of a caving in hole.

I use the scoop like you normally would, without the lift assist, when retrieving in shallow water as the load is much lighter as the scoop rapidly drains. The lift assist makes it much easier to tell where the tip of the basket is pointed at night.

Last edited:

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast Ed: I mounted my lift assist handle high (36" above the top of the basket ) on my 54" shaft for the Sunspot Stealth 720i. It is much easier to carry the scoop on your shoulder this way. Instead of lifting , I rotate the shaft back till the full scoop of heavy wet sand breaks lose, then walk back pulling the scoop out of the hole. I also use the lift assist like a lever to torque the scoop on its tip to dump the wet sand.
If you mount the list assist low, it can be broken if it hits the ground when using the basket like a hoe to pull sand out of a caving in hole.

I use the scoop like you normally would, without the lift assist, when retrieving in shallow water as the load is much lighter as the scoop rapidly drains. The lift assist makes it much easier to tell where the tip of the basket is pointed at night.

Thanks so much for the tips Sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread