beach sifting

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that depth you can still use your metal detector while walking with your head above the water.

I would bet that you would be spending way too much time for way too little, but that is just my guess.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I think it depends on your definition of "work". Are you talking about randomly picking a spot and not using a detector? If so... you're definitely in for a lot of work. You can get the same results as picking a random spot on the beach and start sifting... you'll stay drier and the work is a little easier. Of course, you can increase your chances of good finds by picking good spots: end of piers, underneath floating docks, small swimming holes.

Your best bet is to get a water machine. It is a lot less work, a lot more productive, and more fun too
steve

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back in the days before underwater metal detectors existed. I wrapped my Garrett ADS machine in plastic and floated it on a sifting box and with a long 9 foot coil cord and 8 inch head, I was able to hunt in water 5 - 6 feet deep. There used to be a booklet out that Kellyco carried on how to build a pull sifter. I had one built and pulling it is a chore as I altered the design from 12 inches wide to 18 inches. It costs $100 to have it built in 1979. Its real handy for sifting a trashy swimming hole full of pull tabs and other metal junk before switching over to my Excalibur. Its real handy around fishing piers that are nortoriously trashy with hooks, sinkers and lures. Always find clad change and jewelry mixed in with the garbage.
I plan to use it again at Daytona Beach when the water warms up again. I've never been able to battle the incoming waves while detecting. Alway get knocked off my feet by a big roller. So I'm going to try my old sifter once more and see what I can sift up.
I'll post a photo one day when I'm at Daytona with the sifter. I'm thinking of having one made out of stainless steel so it doesn't rust and drop it back to 12 inches wide. ;D

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
that sounds like a lot of work, I would get an water proof detector I think you would find more in less time

Eddy

THEDUKE

Feb 20, 2007
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
used to do this as a kid under the seaside board walk in like 1970s only found change quarters dimes nickels under the stands, rides in the sand not the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread