saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Just to refresh everyone, I purchased my 800 back in January. From the beginning, I had issues where it would lock on a tone and would not release until I turned the unit off. The pin pointer would do the same thing.

Finally, after three trips back to Minelab, along with videos showing the problem, they replaced both the coil and the head. This was back in the spring. After that everything worked fine, until my trip to the beach in late August. It worked fine until the last day and the pin pointer started going crazy again. It would either not give me a signal at all or would lock onto one tone and free and squeal, even if it was pointed up to the sky. When I posted about this on this site, the general response was the pin pointer is not very good and do not worry about it. I did not buy into this as when it works, it seems to work well.

1) I just returned from the beach this afternoon. I was there all last week. My 800 is doing the same thing it was doing when I first got it. It will lock on a signal and just squeal. The only way to stop it is to turn the unit off. When I turn on the pin pointer it may or may not work. Lots of time I will just get two dash lines “- -” and no signal or number. Once again, I took videos to send to Minelab.

2) The ground balance will not change from “0”. I can do it manually, but when trying to set it, it just stays on “0”. I tried it on the beach, in the condo and even in the parking lot and it just always stays on “0”. I know the auto balance is not turned on. Why???

3) I know these units are suppose to be water proof, however I had never fully submerged my unit until two days ago. I was walking on the edge of a sand bar and the sand gave way and I sat down. I did not get my head phones wet, but my 800 went completely under water (about 8”) for two or three seconds. When I got it up, I started checking it and there did not seem to any water inside of it. However, it was turned off and I know I did not hit the on/off button. Then it would not turn back on. I tried multiple times. Finally, it came back on. It did not indicate a “FP”, however, all my settings were wiped out. I even had to re-sync my head phones. Why would it do this?

4) It seemed strange to me that every time I have gone to the beach and the areas I go to; I generally find about the same amount of stuff. However, this trip I only found about ¼ of the usually number of items. I know there can be multiple reasons for this, but it just seemed strange to me like my unit is just not working correctly.

5) Strange story – In Florida, they have a weird law that people own the beaches behind their property, down to the high-water line, which is then public beach access. The other night I was behind my condo unit, on the beach which we technically own, but I was down at the water’s edge. Suddenly, I heard someone screaming at me and when I turned around there was man yelling at me saying that I cannot use a metal detector on the beach and I cannot dig holes in the sand. I thought he was trying to be funny, then realized he was serious. He said the places where I had dug holes, the sand was not level anymore and piled up on the holes. I told him to look at all the holes on the beach where people and kids had dug holes all day building sand castles and playing. Then, I just walked away. I was headed in anyway, but then he started following me, yelling at me. Finally, he said he was going to call the police. I turned to him and said,”Go ahead. I am sure they will rush down here to arrest a high priority criminal like me, for digging a hole in the sand on the beach!” Then, he tried to get in my face, but was about 8” shorter than I am, and started yelling incoherent things. It was this point I realized he smelled like he had just been thrown out of a bar somewhere. I just walked off and he followed me for a few minutes then finally left me alone. Weird. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange story - nothing like a drunk at the beach. No, I've never had that problem.

Regarding the rest, time to call Minelab.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sure hope that you get your problem figured out, problems get old fast. alcohol and some people just doesn't make for good decision making. some do things that they would never do otherwise. the cops might have taken him in if they had come.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upload the video

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Just guessing but when you sent it to Minelab they checked it out and it worked fine so they may have just packed it back into the box and sent it back to you. Call them and talk to the service department and explain the situation. And let us know the results.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your frustration, I had to send my first Nox back, I only beach hunt and I could never run the sensitivity above 16 otherwise it would false and chatter like hell. My dealer replaced the coil then the head unit. I guess the faulty machine put me off the Nox and I never settled with the new machine and ended up selling it after a couple of months. After using a PI machine and digging pounds of nails and iron I decided to try another Nox. On my very first hunt a few weeks ago I found a 9kt gold signet ring. I guess what I am saying is when you get one that works as it should they are great machines, but of course you already know that. Hope you get yours sorted buddy.

I spoke too soon!! I have just done the dunk test as advised on this site and guess what, IT FLOODED. I am just about to ring my dealer. You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it got water damaged when you took the spill, get it replaced.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Shorter than you or not, don't ever let anyone acting like that get close to you.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spoke to Minelab. Sending head, coil (videos) and headset back in.

They are very nice to deal with!

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Just to refresh everyone, I purchased my 800 back in January. From the beginning, I had issues where it would lock on a tone and would not release until I turned the unit off. The pin pointer would do the same thing.

Finally, after three trips back to Minelab, along with videos showing the problem, they replaced both the coil and the head. This was back in the spring. After that everything worked fine, until my trip to the beach in late August. It worked fine until the last day and the pin pointer started going crazy again. It would either not give me a signal at all or would lock onto one tone and free and squeal, even if it was pointed up to the sky. When I posted about this on this site, the general response was the pin pointer is not very good and do not worry about it. I did not buy into this as when it works, it seems to work well.

1) I just returned from the beach this afternoon. I was there all last week. My 800 is doing the same thing it was doing when I first got it. It will lock on a signal and just squeal. The only way to stop it is to turn the unit off. When I turn on the pin pointer it may or may not work. Lots of time I will just get two dash lines “- -” and no signal or number. Once again, I took videos to send to Minelab.

2) The ground balance will not change from “0”. I can do it manually, but when trying to set it, it just stays on “0”. I tried it on the beach, in the condo and even in the parking lot and it just always stays on “0”. I know the auto balance is not turned on. Why???

3) I know these units are suppose to be water proof, however I had never fully submerged my unit until two days ago. I was walking on the edge of a sand bar and the sand gave way and I sat down. I did not get my head phones wet, but my 800 went completely under water (about 8”) for two or three seconds. When I got it up, I started checking it and there did not seem to any water inside of it. However, it was turned off and I know I did not hit the on/off button. Then it would not turn back on. I tried multiple times. Finally, it came back on. It did not indicate a “FP”, however, all my settings were wiped out. I even had to re-sync my head phones. Why would it do this?

4) It seemed strange to me that every time I have gone to the beach and the areas I go to; I generally find about the same amount of stuff. However, this trip I only found about ¼ of the usually number of items. I know there can be multiple reasons for this, but it just seemed strange to me like my unit is just not working correctly.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Wow

That would be a real disappointment if someone planned a trip to Hawaii, Florida, or elsewhere.

The lesson learned from this experience, "always bring a backup machine".
"Especially when there has been so many issues reported by other users"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been so many reports because the machine is extremely popular. The percentage of problem units is relatively small vs.the total number of sold units. I cannot independently verify this, but in discussions with people who should know and who I trust, we are talking about an estimated failure rate of less than 1% of the total number of units sold in the US and that is for all causes, not just flooding. Like I said, I have no means to independently verify this info, so take it with a grain of salt. My only point is that it is hard to get a handle on a product’s true failure RATE by just counting up negative posts on a forum.

Regarding, not having your trip ruined, by all means, bring a backup of all things that can be broken, lost or stolen, including the detector and/or coils, headphones, pinpointer, scoop and shovel.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Packing a machine in luggage is a great way to have it stolen. I take mine on board in the cabin. I set it on TOP of the luggage going through the scanner so the TSA folks don't freak out.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Most out there never see water so that mean if those were hitting the water there would a lot more. We are just seeing the ones here and there are a lot of people that doesn’t even know about this board.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's time to get an Excalibur for the water and leave the Equinox for land use. They do well on land for sure. I always heard it's hard to beat the Excalibur.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most out there never see water so that mean if those were hitting the water there would a lot more. We are just seeing the ones here and there are a lot of people that doesn’t even know about this board.

Regardless, even if that is true, ML is honoring the warranty on EVERY SINGLE ONE that fails due to leakage and I have seen almost zero people reporting their replacement unit has failed. But feel free to to fear monger and complain about it even if you haven't encountered the issue first hand or know someone who has encountered it like I do. They got it fixed and are happily using their Equinox to snag underwater treasure again without issue. So tiresome to have to keep pointing this out, repeatedly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said, this was the first time my unit had been submerged and it was strictly by accident.

I am guessing that since most of my issues started AFTER it was submerged, water must have gotten into the head .

Minelab has been very nice about this and I have the RA number and my unit (coil, head and head phones) is boxed ready to be shipped out Monday morning

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with mike b. stay away from crazy people. Met one in the park one day walking my dog. Man about 35-40, seemed to be down on his luck had a little chihuahua on a leash about 20 yards from me and my dog was on a leash. The little dog started barking and my Springer Spaniel started barking back. Where upon the man yelled out to me, "Yeah man, let your dog loose and I will kill that M...F dog and you too you M...F. I just turned and walked in the other direction. Turned out I have seen him at other times in his old rusted pick up truck with two dryer exhaust hoses mounted on the top of the cap looping down into his broken back window as some sort of redneck air conditioner.

Strange people in big towns like Atlanta.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would you need a pinpointer at the beach? A scoop is all

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as the drunk, whenever I detect I have my sandscoop or land trowel in my right hand
I would advise not to pester me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread