Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Maybe you're running your disc. too high? Nickels drop out at the lower end of the disc. scale (as do small to medium sized gold rings too). So if your disc. is too high, you'll loose nickels. To test this, do an air test on a nickel. If you get a beep, then that's not the problem :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right!!! You should check your disc settings in the area you plan to hunt with a scattering of coins on the ground to see how they respond. If you don't hear the signal on a pull tab you probably won't hear a gold ring either.

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was in all metal........I haven't been at this very long but have found one nickel. Been trying to dig everything... thanks, Melvin

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Hello,

You have to watch your nickle count. About one out of five or ten coins should be a nickle. This tells you if you are adjusted to find gold. Mass and conductivity being about the same if you find nickles you will find the gold if it's there. On beach hunts as well if you have an iffy signal dig it or use your foot to scrape sand from over the target and recheck. Targets meter lower often on salt water beaches as well. On a Whites gold will meter as low as -15 on the scale. Hope this helps.

HH,
T

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Here's another view on this.....believe it or not alot of water hunters don't dig the penny ,dime , quarter sounds. Machines that are newer have tone id....my buddy has a cz 20 , if we get into a place with a ton of pennies he just digs the lower foil nickle sounds. I still have a 1280 x, I dig every sound. I've spoken to guys at the big city beaches we hit, they tell me the same thing. They'll be there for a couple of hours, I'm there all day. It doesn't always work for those doing that, they may miss out on some smaller silver or even large gold items. I found 2 platinum bands last year while hunting with my friend, I called him over to listen to what I thought were hits that could be good and he thought they sounded like coins, the heavier platinum bands sounded different than gold to him....he finds a ton of stuff, but never thought these would have been good. The beaches we hit are virtually free of tabs and nickles and full of clad and pennies. On land or in the water dig every sound, it's the best advice...it does pay off eventually! Burl

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-er-Dug said:
WOW! That's a big beach all the way from Mexico to Canada. You must be wasted.
LOL! It was a heck of a drive.........Still wondering how a Canadain penney got lost at Padre Island.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions