beads beads beads !

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beadman2, I've been collecting beads for many years, although I've never been fortunate enough to find any myself. My favorites are the Nueva Cadiz (all mine I brought back from Peru) and the so called Russian Blues... specifically the ones that seem to be confined to the west coast of Vancouver island. Much larger and darker than the ones commonly collected further south in the Columbia river basin and N. California.
Always happy to see posts of peoples finds, especially Spanish 1500's stuff from LA & Florida.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
More beads

Here are two more selections of beads.
The first is a group of "man in the moon" beads I recently had the chance to look at. They were found in PA in the 1960s (sadly, not by me).
The second is a small group of PA beads I just purchased. There are bone beads, shell beads, and several glass trade beads.

Attachments

• S4010006.JPG
    S4010006.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 182
  • my beads cut.JPG
    my beads cut.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 160

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markdz.......are any of the man in the moon beads for sale or trade?....let me know ....would love to get my hands on 1 if possible

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
markdz.......are any of the man in the moon beads for sale or trade?....let me know ....would love to get my hands on 1 if possible

Sorry, no, I asked and nothing was for sale.
I might be able to hunt the field they came from this spring, though, so fingers crossed there might be another one there.

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Beadman, any opinions on my Jan 13, 2015 post (#19)? I was told they were found in NEPA, but that they were African trade beads, which made no sense to me. I'm suspicious of them.

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markdz.....you have good reason to be suspicious....im afraid to tell you the top selection of beads are not the beads you typically find in the northeast in ny and pa....they are more than likely african and very late and contemporary....they ARE NOT the real indian glass trade beads advanced collectors look to purchase...we wont even touch those beads ...we know they r worthless....it takes years of actual surface hunting before you can tell the real from the fake...i would be very careful buying if you dont know for sure......

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 2nd selection of beads including the man in the moon beads and the ones you purchased are the real deal ....the ones you bought are older 1600_1650 and susquehannock.....the man in the moons are about 1750 and probably lenapi

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will buy or trade for the first frame of beads with the man in the moons....if ever forsale....good money too!....

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks, Beadman. I bought those first ones before I knew what I was doing... so at least I smartened up by the next time and got good ones... ha ha.
I've never seen a Man-in-the-Moon for sale before, but hear they could go well into the thousands.

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man in the moons

markdz ....im very curious about the man in the moon beads you had in the picture....r they a friend of yours? or another collector?....they r the real deal and theres 2 possibly a 3rd variant type pictured...i know a couple major collectors in pa.....you should check into it ...they more than likely came off wapwallopen or other river sites on upper susquehanna branch...ca1750....the only other major collection of that type of bead ive seen is housed here in a museum in ny

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Yep, they're from Wapwallopen... You know your beads... ha ha. I hear they found seven or eight total there.

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks ....yea i love trade beads...been into em a while now.....i love those beads off wapwallopen...i have 1 beautiful necklace from that site....no man in the moons though ....im always looking for beads from wapwallopen to add to my collection....if you ever come across anyone whos selling....i especially like the faceted ones

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fortunate enough to find a few bits, but never a decent bead.

This native shell bead is as close as I've come.

D.E.A.P.

Jul 8, 2015
BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2,000 yr. old stone beads. Coast Salish Nation. Found on the Fraser river in B.C. Canada.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440216851.918206.jpg

OP
OP
B

beadman2

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice stone beads....yup time to go scratchin and find more beads!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread