Greenie
Mar 1, 2012
West Coast, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II & Garrett 250 PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome captd,
I have the Ace 250 I dont suggest you put it in the water because it's not water proof, now I read that the Garrett AT pro is water proof.
I purchase the minelab excalibur 11 wuth the 10' inch coil and its really heavy, I know that minelab excalibur 11 also comes in a 8' coil.

I hope this info works for you,
Rudy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Welcome captd,
I have the Ace 250 I dont suggest you put it in the water because it's not water proof, now I read that the Garrett AT pro is water proof.
I purchase the minelab excalibur 11 wuth the 10' inch coil and its really heavy, I know that minelab excalibur 11 also comes in a 8' coil.

I hope this info works for you,
Rudy

Rudy is right: Not only is the 250 & 350 not good choices for the beach on account of their not being waterproof, but they ...... just generally speaking, don't fare well on wet salt, to begin with (I'm assuming you were speaking of ocean beaches, and not in-land fresh-water lake beaches?).

Mind you, a machine for the beach need not necessarily be waterproof. Because perhaps you only intend to work on the shores anyhow, and go no deeper than sticking just the coil in (which is fine). But even if that were the case, the 250 & 350 are simply not good wet salt machine.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends what you consider waterproof......You can sumerge the coil,wire and shaft but do not get water into the box. The ace has it's issues with wet salt beachs but fresh water and dry salt beach will be okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

captd

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Tom_in_CA said:
Rudy is right: Not only is the 250 & 350 not good choices for the beach on account of their not being waterproof, but they ...... just generally speaking, don't fare well on wet salt, to begin with (I'm assuming you were speaking of ocean beaches, and not in-land fresh-water lake beaches?).

Mind you, a machine for the beach need not necessarily be waterproof. Because perhaps you only intend to work on the shores anyhow, and go no deeper than sticking just the coil in (which is fine). But even if that were the case, the 250 & 350 are simply not good wet salt machine.

What detector would you recommend for ocean beach hunting?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

What detector would you recommend for ocean beach hunting?

Well, I'm a bit biased, since I want a discriminator to pass nails and iron. D/t we have past generations of burned down piers, and/or beaches that allow (or allowed in the past) beach bon-fires (which introduce nails via burned wood). So if your beaches are "Baywatch" Malibu or Hawaii type strictly touristy beaches (with no industrial/commercial type history/usage), then you might go for any of various beach pulse machines. They're deep-seeking, easy to use, and cut through the nastiest of minerals. Problem is, if you're on a beach with a lot of nails (and depth and minerals is a non-isse d/t abundance of targets), you might not be happy. So it all depends on your beaches, as to how clean they are, what your patience is, etc...

Personally, I prefer a standard machine, because to be honest with you, they get normal coins and rings just as deep an most beach pulse machines nowadays anyhow (eg.: to as much as a foot). Granted you'll miss dainty fine chains or earing studs, but for all other targets, the depth is about the same. Thus I prefer to have something that can pass iron, on our particular beaches.

If you plan on hunting during storm erosion (rain, etc...), or to potentially get whapped by waves in the surf-zone hunting, then go with the excaliber. But if you're just going to stay in the inter-tidal zone (and don't mind wrapping in plastic for occasional splashes), then go with the Explorer or Sovereign. All 3 are about equal for depth, and ability in wet-salt minerals. I just like the sound and tones and target separation of the Explorer (verses the excal and sov. which have loud long drawn out beeooonngggs). But the end result is about the same for depth and minerals, on wet salt beaches.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I am very happy with my sandshark. I dig a lot of targets and find a lot of iron but I've become pretty quick at the recovery process. What speeds things along for me is I really only use my scoop as a shovel and then kick the dirt around to locate the target. If I try to shake out through the scoop it takes much longer. The sandshark works well on dry sand but you are going to find a ton of junk. I strongly suggest you get a metal detector that can go in the water. I started off with one that was only good on dry sand and it was a short time before I bought one that can go in the water. The fun at the beach is at the surfline. Gridding dry sand outside hotels may be productive at times but is labor intensive. I get only a little time to detect...I don't want to speed it marching back and forth in a straight line. Just my two cents.

19COINFINDER58

Greenie
Mar 1, 2012
West Coast, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II & Garrett 250 PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Captd,

I suggest to go a near by store where you can see that they have available and also pick them up and and see how they feel. I purchase the minelab excalibur 11 I think is the best for me.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the excal you will did no iron unless it is a large piece of iron as in rebar, you want dig tiny pieces of iron wheich saves you time and gives you more time to hunt. since your not wasting time digging big holes for tiny pieces of iron..... If your hunting a clean beach then iron want be a big problem but if you have a beach with lots of tiny pieces of iron you may want to think about it before buying PI...

Now some people love a PI and spent the time to learn it, but in the process be prepared to dig lots of tiny pieces of iron...

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
You know i was just thinking about beach machines also. I was eyeballing the garrett infinium, I did not know PI machines had discrimination???
Im into gold nugget machines and would be nice to add a pulse machine to my VLF's. What the heck is the deal with the smaller nugget coild not being water proof?

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the the guys have pretty well covered the options. Just my 2cents.
I like to venture in to the surf with no intention of soaking my detector, just submerging the coil.
After a storm some times you get small holes/depressions cut out,,,, say 2- 3 feet deep.
I stumbled into one,,, fell over,,,, detector and I,,, went in the drink... Thankfully it was was proof/resistant (Sandshark).
I got up and carried on as if nothing had happend,,,, with the only casualty being my pride :)
Good luck out there..

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Robbor, on the bright side that means that you can dunk the coil in a river maybe and check for anything in the silt..
HH..

You know i was just thinking about beach machines also. I was eyeballing the garrett infinium, I did not know PI machines had discrimination???
Im into gold nugget machines and would be nice to add a pulse machine to my VLF's. What the heck is the deal with the smaller nugget coild not being water proof?

OP
OP
C

captd

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Crispin said:
I am very happy with my sandshark. I dig a lot of targets and find a lot of iron but I've become pretty quick at the recovery process. What speeds things along for me is I really only use my scoop as a shovel and then kick the dirt around to locate the target. If I try to shake out through the scoop it takes much longer. The sandshark works well on dry sand but you are going to find a ton of junk. I strongly suggest you get a metal detector that can go in the water. I started off with one that was only good on dry sand and it was a short time before I bought one that can go in the water. The fun at the beach is at the surfline. Gridding dry sand outside hotels may be productive at times but is labor intensive. I get only a little time to detect...I don't want to speed it marching back and forth in a straight line. Just my two cents.

Do you use your Sand Shark in salt water?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread