Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I did a quick "exploratory" on a new property -- Trulia says the house was built in 1900, but there's a sign on the house that alludes to the original structure being from the late 1700s. Back yard didn't produce much (yet). I quickly moved over to the side yard and one of my first targets was a 1-1/2" x 1" brass buckle. That was my first indicator. Dug some more junk then got a very nice deep signal. I dug a wide deep plug as it sounded like silver and it was still deeper--I was hoping it wasn't a deep flattened soda can. The soil appeared as though it contained ashes. Dug a bit deeper with my spade and out popped what appeared to be a beautifully engraved silver cover to a pocket watch.

At that point I had to go to meet a friend for drinks and to watch the Belmont race. Nice way to end the "exploratory" dig.

I believe the cover is solid silver and hand engraved over the intricate engine turned pattern. The only markings on the back of it are what appears to be a maker's mark "CF" (Charles Frodsham?) and a "3" and further down there's a serial number 69355 in an old fashioned typeface.

Any leads on this one would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• SIlverPocketWatchCover 1 (front).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover 1 (front).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 161
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover 2 (front).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover 2 (front).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 154
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover (back).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover (back).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 149
  • SIlverPocketWatchCover (CF 3).jpg
    SIlverPocketWatchCover (CF 3).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Rick! Unfortunately no logo on mine just a stamped CF with serifs. There is a number 3 under that--the size case?? The diameter of the case is 1-3/4" appox.

"main board" usually called "the works" or "movement"
Mine was very easy to ID A.W.C. Co "American Waltham (watch) Company". They are also easy to find dates for
My ser. # 1253273 dates 1877. size 18 (quite small)
from here. Serial Number

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large silver piece! Way better than stuff I find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread