Beatin’ the Heat and Baggin’ the Clad

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Beatin’ the Heat and Baggin’ the Clad

Hi everyone, just a really REALLY short post tonight. I know I know... what gives? Well it’s been a long day and I think I’m in the doghouse a little with my Mrs. She had a weekly appointment this morning with the allergist and after I fixed breakfast for the two of us, she left for her appointment. I, on the other hand, opted to go detecting this morning before the heat of the day and while the kiddies were in school. Unfortunately, I didn’t get home this afternoon until after my wife had already left, again, for a ground breaking ceremony with her volunteer organization. Now I wasn’t expected to attend this event, but she(my wife) had wanted to have lunch with me before she left. Well this afternoon event turned into drinks at the “after event” gathering, and then dinner out with some of the people she attended with. Meanwhile, I was left at home wondering if she was going to be home for dinner (not knowing about the dining out)... and wondering if I should go ahead and do the grocery shopping as well. Well I did, went to the grocery and then fixed dinner for myself when I returned. My wife got home while I was eating, apologizing profusely at not calling me earlier (we had spoken while I was shopping). Anyway, after cleaning up from dinner and then bathing, I headed to the computer to edit my pictures from today’s hunt and write this post. Well guess who’s pouting because I’m not watching a tv progam “with her” instead. *sigh* Can’t win for losing sometimes can we guys?
So... it’s a short post tonight. Not many pictures either. Just as well though, not a lot to write about in today’s finds anyway. I headed out to a smaller town than my own, just south of my town. There are a few parks there I like to detect a few times a year. The first one I have never detected at before at all. Not that there was a lot to be found this morning, but I found over six dollars in clad there under and around the picnic tables and swing sets and other playground equipment (old style), then in and amongst the woodchips in the newer playground. And, around the basketball courts and under the shade trees surrounding them. Oh I found the usual pull tabs and can slaw as well as a few whatzits, but nothing unique.
The primary park that I wanted to hunt was the second one on my list for the morning, unfortunately I had to pass on that park. When I rolled up I saw a couple of big yellow school busses and realized that the kiddies were there for a field trip or something... there were kids everywhere. *sigh* Not feeling up to being the Pied Piper today I made my way to another park more towards downtown. This small park is in an older, if poorer neighborhood but the park is clean and the playground fairly well maintained. Not that I found much in this playground, I spent most of my time under two moderately sized shade trees between the curb and the woodchipped tot lot. Pennies!! Pennies and more pennies! What gives? Well... those two shade trees actually, they gave up fifty seven pennies in a space of about six square feet. All of them were clad Memorial Cents, and some of them were pretty well rotted away, but there were so many of them! I eventually detected the woodchips as well, but it only offered up a couple of nickels , a couple of dimes and a quarter... oh and a few pull tabs.
Well it was getting late in the morning by this point and the temperatures were rising. I headed to one other small park on the other side of that town, near the bypass and my route home. This small (postage stamp sized) park is in a fairly new neighborhood, but the park isn’t as well maintained as you might expect it to be. There were weeds and a LOT of grass growing up in the woodchips, and , well, a LOT of trash. *sigh* I picked up probably a dozen or more empty soda bottles and a couple of beer bottles and several cans of each, along with some plastic wrappers and paper from candy and fast food... and deposited it all in an overflowing garbage can. I also picked a few more dollar in coins as well. I guess Karma is “Instant” sometimes. Again, no amazing finds, but profitable all the same. So I got home just minutes after my wife had been picked up to go to this ground breaking I mentioned earlier. I retired to my “Man Cave” with a large glass (mason jar) of ice water and relaxed with some tv and even got on the computer to check email and what not. I later sorted my finds and tallied up the coins. Along with a nice haul of clad (more than covered my gas used today) I had a small pile of “Stuff” including a door from a toy car, a glass worry bead (eyeball find), a broken lock, a broken junk necklace, bits of disposable lighters, pull tabs and a “whatzit” that I’ve found one like it before. I think the whatzit is a drain plug from a very very old (metal) cooler. The plug had a wooden stopper through which the screw was inserted and a cap with a nut was twisted to make the wood expand to fill the drain hole. <shrug>

Stuff.JPG

I also found one little queen... Queen Elizabeth... Canadian Penny. <smile> Only one wheat penny unearthed today... a 1954 D Still dirty in the picture.

Wheat Comp.jpg

I didn’t and usually don’t include the wheats and the foreign coins in my clad totals , and I didn’t today either. Still a nice little pile of clad though.

Clad.JPG

And so went my metal detecting for the day. I beat the heat, dug up a wheat, and bagged a pile of clad. Now if I can just smooth over the hurt feelings before bedtime I should be alright. I hope you all get out soon and find some treasures too. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov ! Cheer up my friend , you'll be out of the dog house in a day or two ( maybe the
local purveyor of fresh flowers could be of some help here ! ) As for the brevity of your post
this evening - You must be kidding ! ( I think it was Shakespere who said brevity is the soul of wit )
Well you got soul , and you got wit , you just aint got the brevity ! Love ya Brother ! Argentium.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
SkyPirate said:
I thought you said short? :dontknow:

Okay... so it wasn't just a few lines long... but for me that *WAS* short. <blushing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
Hey Frodov ! Cheer up my friend , you'll be out of the dog house in a day or two ( maybe the
local purveyor of fresh flowers could be of some help here ! ) As for the brevity of your post
this evening - You must be kidding ! ( I think it was Shakespere who said brevity is the soul of wit )
Well you got soul , and you got wit , you just aint got the brevity ! Love ya Brother ! Argentium.

Not to worry, spent a little time before bed and everything is alright again. I haven't done flowers in a while, maybe a month or so, but flowers aren't really even considered special anymore. I've worn that out I think. <grin> As for lacking brevity... well, I may never have kissed the Blarney stone, but being of Irish heritage though perhaps slightly deluted over a few generations, I've never had a lacking for the gift of gab. Well, the gift of gab as far as written or "typed" communications perhaps. I can be a bit awkardly shy in person sometimes. <smiling> IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT! It's true though. Once I get comfortable being around someone new however look out. <laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread