Beautiful brass fitting- Beachcombing in N. Cal. Possible steamship part?

KripsMeasler

Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found while hiking on the Lost Coast in Humbolt county, N. California. Located on the shoreline. We have had runs of giant surf this year that are bringing all kinds of things to the surface. This was found in an area where the redwood that build gold rush California was rigged onto vessels all along this extremely perilous coastline.
It's sand blasted but you can see the remains of threads and the remnants of the faces where a wrench could attach or remove the entire thing, much like an oil filter. It's obviously quite old. Anyone have any ideas?

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg

Upvote 2

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
copper not brass.does the other end have a hole in it ? maybe a steam fitting ? why not cut it open with a hacksaw and see what might be in it. welcome on your maiden voyage on TN

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Does it rattle when you shake it?

OP
OP
K

KripsMeasler

Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about not having a picture of the other end...for some reason it wouldn't upload.
It is hollow and quite thin having been ground down by sand, and open on the bottom. Sort of like a cup. You can see the remnants of threads as the lines on the bottom indicate, where it screwed into something, using the bolt-like head. It looks coppery in the picture but in real life it is a warm shade of gold, definitely not copper color like a pipe or wire. There is a patina in the inside. It looks like sanded gold. Gave my brother quite a shock when he saw it among the rocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KripsMeasler

Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mods, if you know of a place that this might be better placed fishing for info, please move it. Newbie here. Thanks

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't aware the top was open. Looks like an oil cup to me.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Sorry about not having a picture of the other end...for some reason it wouldn't upload.
It is hollow and quite thin having been ground down by sand, and open on the bottom. Sort of like a cup. You can see the remnants of threads as the lines on the bottom indicate, where it screwed into something, using the bolt-like head. It looks coppery in the picture but in real life it is a warm shade of gold, definitely not copper color like a pipe or wire. There is a patina in the inside. It looks like sanded gold. Gave my brother quite a shock when he saw it among the rocks.:dontknow: you say its a warm shade of gold but it looks copper tone to me what are you taking pictures with ? is anybody else here seeing copper or is it just my old eyes ? maybe you need an upgrade what are you gonna do when you post pictures of real gold you find on here huh ? what are we to think ? as far as your find throw it in a 5 gallon bucket to start your brass collection because if you dont already have a metal detector you'll be finding lots of these unusual type of things

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread