Beautiful Day & Finds in Central Texas!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beautiful copper brooch pin that's probably 100 years old, a nice aluminum collapsible cup from Fred Harvey's Harvey House that's about the same age as the brooch, a nice round colored decorative glass piece that's set in copper, an antique set of sheep shears, a small old shovel blade, a small iron decorative "fence" that my morning glory flowers will love to grow on (that I've already placed in the front flower garden), and $1.25 in coins (4 quarters, 1 dime, and 15 pennies). All of these were found with my vintage White's 5000/D metal detector today during a 3.5 hour hunt.
~Texas Jay

http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com

1-24-19-with Max-Bwd-4-White's 5000-D.jpg 1-24-19 - with Max-Bwd-1.jpg 1-24-19 - with Max -Bwd-2-Whites 5000-d.jpg 1-24-19-with Max-Bwd-3-Whites 5000-d.jpg

Upvote 21

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, you can actually still buy shears like those, It shows how good of an idea they were, I learned with some like that in the F.F.A and decided I liked modern electric shears much better.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice, I love that vintage machine

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Love that old detector!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the same detector. I'm thinking of putting mine up for sale. Do you have the 2 rechargeable battery packs or are you using 14 AA batteries? My packs are dead and I haven't wanted to chip for 14 batteries to try it out but I'm pretty sure it still works. I bought mine in late '81. Neat finds with an old "antique". Gary

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything in your photo, including the detector, is awesome! Nice work!

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds, Congrats!!!

My first detector back in the 80's was a Coinmaster V, 1974 vintage.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Cool vintage machine! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I love thst kinda stuff weathers gotta be good there
well done

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me? I'm not seeing the brooch.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vintage? oh the machine! I feel very vintage myself. great finds too

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day of hunting, congrats on the finds. who says you need a 6 or 800 or deus to make finds.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the same detector. I'm thinking of putting mine up for sale. Do you have the 2 rechargeable battery packs or are you using 14 AA batteries? My packs are dead and I haven't wanted to chip for 14 batteries to try it out but I'm pretty sure it still works. I bought mine in late '81. Neat finds with an old "antique". Gary

Hi Gary. The 5000/D ("Whitey") uses 8 AA batteries. I had to replace the plastic battery holder because it was broken when I bought it a few weeks ago. I use alkaline AA batteries in it which you can purchase a 4-pack of them at Dollar Tree for a dollar plus tax. I've put 16 hours on those original 8 batteries already and they are still going strong. That surprised me because my digital Ace 250 and Ace 350 detectors only get about 12-15 hours on a 4-pack before I have to replace them. I always carry new replacement batteries with me whenever I go detecting. Here's a photo I took of it last month after a 2-hour hunt. The bracelet is sterling silver for Texas A&M.
~Texas Jay

md-Dec-2018 005.JPG

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I love thst kinda stuff weathers gotta be good there
well done

This is rural central Texas so we have our good winter days and our bad winter days. :) Yesterday was beautiful, sunny and in the low 60s...perfect for metal detecting. Today was a little chilly for this sissy so I stayed home to research some more detecting sites, with great potential, that I'll be hunting in the next several weeks and into the spring. Since the site that my friend and I hunted yesterday is close to home, I'm not finished with it yet. I'll detect there when I don't have a lot of time to spend.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me? I'm not seeing the brooch.

No, I don't think it's just you, cudamark. My friend snapped these photos with his cell phone camera while I was still digging my finds out of my treasure pouch but I think the brooch is between the Stanley box-cutter and the pennies but, like you, I can't say for sure because the brooch was about the same color as the road that the finds were placed on. I also took some pics with my old digital camera but I haven't had time to upload them onto my laptop. I just took a couple more pics of it (front and back) but it still hasn't been cleaned up, just rinsed off. The front is of some leaves and tiny flowers and the pin on the back is in excellent shape and still works.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day of hunting, congrats on the finds. who says you need a 6 or 800 or deus to make finds.

My friend, who I was detecting with, had both his Equinox 800 and his XP Deus in the truck with him yesterday but he wanted to use a Fisher F75 that he just purchased a few days ago. He found the only silver of the afternoon, a 1963-D quarter, with the F75. I swear that he always finds a silver quarter whenever I take him to any of my sites while I'm in a silver quarter slump that I just can't seem to break out of. :) I think he found more coins than I did but the 5000/D took the prize, by far, for the most collectible relics. Just last month, we detected a freshwater beach where we had not yet found any silver. A few minutes before we were getting ready to quit for the day, I got a hit and dug a 1963-D Roosevelt dime so I thought that I would surely have the only silver of the afternoon. He had already turned his detector off when I hollered at him that I had found silver. What did he do? He turned his detector back on, walked over to a spot about 10 yards away from me and in less than 5 minutes, he hollered that he dug a silver quarter of the same date and mint mark as my dime, a 1963-D! If I didn't know him so well, I'd be very suspicious at the rash of 1963-D quarters he finds. ha.
~Texas Jay

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work!!! 🙌 I have that machine and a 6/DB. They paid for themselves 10x over. 😁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread