Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Thanks PCJoe for taking me to one of your favorite spots. It's always a pleasure hunting with you.

I had a tough day of detecting with that GIANT 17" coil but it paid off with my one and only good find...a semi key date 1917-D Standing Liberty Quarter in VF-25 (Very Fine) condition. I rarely find SLQ's, and usually it's tough to even see a date when I do, but this one is special and valued at $125 plus, according to my coin book and the coin dealer that graded it for me.

I recovered it in a spot where Joe said there may have been a thousand or more detectors used over the years. She was patiently waiting for me, I suppose.

This was the toughest good find I have ever made. I detected up on this spot from the SW and heard a tiny little high tone chirp. I swung my coil across the spot several times and only heard it again a time or two. I circled around it and never heard it again until I was back facing the NE. Once again, only an occasional faint chirp.

I started focusing on the numbers and depth each time I heard it and noticed the depth was always 10-12 inches. The numbers were bad and jumpy, but always in the penny range so I thought maybe I had a deep Indian Head which would have been really cool with me.

I pinpointed and dug a good sized plug 7" deep. Checked and the target was still in the hole. Got no signal from my handheld pinpointer so I dug another 4" plug out of the bottom and checked again. This time I pinpointed a signal from the left side of the hole about 9" below ground level which was actually 11" below grass level.

I dug out the side of the hole and laid it out on the grass. The dirt broke up and there it was, a shiny silver rim caked with dirt on both sides. Took it over to show Joe and removed just enough dirt to see Liberty's feet and waited until the end of our hunt to rinse it off. Man was I shocked!!!

Apparently it was on edge and not laid flat. That is why it didn't pinpoint in the center of the hole, give good numbers, and had not been found before.

This is what it's all about in my book...finding the tough ones everyone else has missed.

Upvote 19

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not kidding beautiful, outstanding coundition...Congrats to ya.....:occasion14:

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, favorite quarter right there :hello2:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has fantastic detail! Congrats! That was deep, I hope you were switching arms while swinging the 17" coil. That's awesome !

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now She's a Beaut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................HH

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.....it's a beauty!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow dude, that is a beauty!!!! nice find

vp

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful is right ! I guess VF is correct - when I first saw it I was thinking XF - had to check the grading standard . Great find !

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beautiful! I've only found one & it was in rough shape... Congrats!

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
That has fantastic detail! Congrats! That was deep, I hope you were switching arms while swinging the 17" coil. That's awesome !

Thanks, and no I didn't switch arms. I should have though since my right arm is now 2 inches longer than my left. :laughing1:

rlc1940

Sep 21, 2013
Good Grief!! I once carried those things as common pocket change and I've seen one with as fine detail as this one! Exceptional find...go get more! HH

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great find! Seems many nice SLQ's have been popping up lately. It's in great shape- simply a beautiful coin.

Continued success and Happy Hunting!

Jeff

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! Never found one, my oldest is a 1942 quarter.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Nice find! :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest: