Beautiful Sterling Medal, a Few Wheaties, Old Buttons & Other Stuff....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to get out for a while today. I started at my pounded field with the plan of going deeper into the woods. Not long into the hunt and after digging some of the usual trash I got one of those beautiful, high hits that you just know isn't a can and is gonna' be something nice. It's such a beautiful sound. I was just certain it was a silver coin. Well, it wasn't but it was just as good imo...

Beautiful Medal Wheats & Other Stuff March 27 2016 001.JPG Beautiful Medal Wheats & Other Stuff March 27 2016 002.JPG

I believe it's a Sterling sacred heart medal. I have no clue how old it is but judging from the location I have to say it's been in the ground at least 40 years; maybe longer. I'm getting a nice little collection of these.

I was really hoping for a silver coin since I have yet to find one this year but I was really happy with this one. The patina is just perfect and so is the condition. It's nice and heavy. This is the second medal this year but the first one was silver plated. I like this one way better.

Then after a little while I got a strange, bouncy sorta' hit and dug up this heart stopper.....

Beautiful Medal Wheats & Other Stuff March 27 2016 003.JPG

For a brief moment or two I thought I had hit the jackpot but after putting my glasses on I immediately realized it was plated. It just didn't look right and it didn't ring up right either. It was bouncing between 68-73; too high for real gold. It has the weight but not much of anything else. It's marked "14K R.G.P." (rolled gold plate). Oh well. It's still ring # 61 and puts me one step closer to the next real one.

So then I headed deeper into the woods into an area that used to have some activity. I dug quite a few beaver tails and other junk. So I took a good look around and noticed that most of the trees were fairly "young"; say 15-25 years or so I'm guessing. I started looking for really big, older trees where people may have sat in the shade back in the day.

Sure enough, the first one I found produced three Wheaties; two 1920's and a 1936 as well as two pretty cool old buttons...

Beautiful Medal Wheats & Other Stuff March 27 2016 004.JPG

I'm gonna remember to always be on the lookout for older trees from now on.

I hiked around for about two hours and really didn't find too much more; just a little bit of clad, a key and a little buckle....

Beautiful Medal Wheats & Other Stuff March 27 2016 005.JPG

That's pretty much it. It started raining, was getting dark and I was filthy and tired. I walked at least 2-3 miles today. It felt really good to be out there. I still can't figure why I'm digging old wheaties and no silver but I intend to keep at it.

Thanks for looking and HH.....

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cool digs. :occasion14: Tree trunks are a great place to find pocket spills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread