Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a gold hunting misadventure from my desert prospecting days:

I've worked the dry dirt in the desert in Arizona--I much prefer using water! But, man is that desert gold beautiful, beautiful stuff. So, the location really is all relative, as it relates to perspective.

As a matter of fact, working in the desert of Arizona reminded me of a little story of one of my digging events. I was working a dry wash on the side of a hill. Furthermore, there were old dry-washer piles everywhere.

I picked a spot with bedrock outcroppings that looked more promising than the rest (I have to tell you at this point that I have a strong hatred and excessive revulsion for anything that looks remotely like a spider.), and I started to dig.

As I prospected along the wash, I started to see these round holes that were sited perpendicularly back into the bank. Well, I'd seen some of them while I was detecting in flatter areas (of course, they went straight down), and I'd spotted a tarantula crouching in one of them--front appendages wiggling, those insane eyes glaring directly at me--you get the terrifying picture; and, that was enough for me.

I quickly changed locations--much like a sprinter on steroids laced with amphetamines is able to do. Only, sprinters are quite a bit slower, I found out, as I'm certain I broke several Olympic records on my lightning sprint through that unforgiving region of plant life where everything pokes, stings, or bites! (I'm thinking of a full Kevlar body suit the next time I flee a demonic desert arachnid. It might save me from his or her excruciating bite! [The fact that I was pulling spines from my hide for two days afterward has no consequence or bearing in this tale.])

Regardless of my aforementioned discomfort, I was digging, as you'll remember, in that little wash among the grease-wood and creosote, and I was working my way uphill. Well, when I saw those same, round holes I've mentioned earlier, I started to have flashbacks to my previously mentioned debacle. Nonetheless, I talked my brain's early warning system out of it's warnings--I'm quite famous for disarming my body's alarm system actually.

Nonetheless, I determined that I'd traveled well over a thousand miles to get myself some desert gold, and I wasn't going to let some hairy, fanged octo-ped drive me from my diggin's--not on this fine desert day I wasn't.

So, I stared at those holes for a moment longer (there were three of them--ranged across the hill about a foot apart, all roughly the same elevation--with the middle of the three just about dead center with my body), and I decided that I would go about loosening the dirt that was overlying the bedrock in that spot.

I'd finally gotten my pulse back down to a normal level, so that the rushing of the blood in my ears didn't sound like I was standing ocean-side during one of those famous Bering Sea beach storms (I'll have to tell you about some of my Alaskan experiences one of these days--no spiders molested me up there, I can tell you that!). Now, please forgive my wanderings, as I'll haul myself back to my story.

Anyway, I hefted the reassuring weight of my pick in my hand, calmed my brain into a flat comatose state, and swung it into the ground.

Like a blast from a rocket-propelled-grenade, something came flying out of that center hole!! It flew at me so fast that I had no time to react. I was the perfect, immobilized victim.

If you've ever been in a car crash (as I have), you may have experienced this phenomenon: time and action slow to a crawl. Moreover, as your brain is somehow temporarily rewired on some sort of hyper-chemical that enhances your gray-matter's processing speeds to Star Trek warp factors, this allows your melon to record every little detail in high-speed slow motion--recording every minute detail of the entire event so that you can micro-analyze it in perpetuity.

But, I need to return to the event: this thing came shooting out of the hole. It was heading straight for my chest. It had a leathery head and colors. It was undulating from side to side. It had a long tail that was swaying back and forth, much like a propelling rudder--driving the thing relentlessly toward my paralyzed body.

I watched immobilized as it dropped below eye level, then caught it again just to the right of me as it impacted the desert dirt. My brain switched out of panic mode--my brain returned to normal speed.

My brain's defensive properties alerted me that this flying menace was only some kind of stinking, pea-brained lizard; nevertheless, this reptile was sent from the underworld to give me a heart attack. But, the whole desert plot had failed miserably. For, I could live with this event, and my sentient brain knew it.

For, I have no fear of lizards or snakes (Strange huh? I mean, the snakes may kill you, but the hideous tarantulas will only give you a nasty bite that feels as if someone is injecting liquid fire into every cell and nerve ending of your entire body, including every nook and cranny of every bit of white or gray matter in your brain! No wonder snakes don't worry me. . . .), and because I don't fear them, I was able to laugh.

The fact that the laughter on this particular, remarkable day sounded much like a pack of hyenas fighting an entire pride of lions over a fresh kill is irrelevant. It was a catharsis--a truly purging and healing event for me. Who cares if that laughter terrorized every woman and child in every suburb of Phoenix and jammed every available 911 switch and circuit--I knew I was safe.

On a side note, for some strange reason I abandoned that hill-side and headed off to a flat, meandering trail I'd spotted earlier in the day, one that sauntered quite leisurely across a leveled mesa atop a hill about three miles distant. . . .

All the best,

Lanny
VegasNovSummerGold07013-1.jpg

LanceAirShowVegasSummer06211-1-1.jpg

Earlyspringsummer08256-1.jpg

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Lanny you are killing me :sign10:
Remember i lived in Phoenix ( 8 yrs ) before i came up here.
LOLOL Those spiders are huge and they can jump a mile. lolol
And i still have some of those spiny spear things (jumpin choas? little round balls of barbed thorns,spears, needles???) in my foot.
Im cracking up down here Lanny, because i went through that same terror.
Sorry i dont mean to be laughing......... :sign10: i cant help it.
Love the story.

Hefty

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
nuggy said:
Hi Lanny, great advice again. Any piece of gold is nearly double the weight of the same size bit of lead! The importance of scraping and scrubbing up the crevices can't be overstated. Nuggy

I love that analogy Nuggy! How is it that I've missed using that one all of these years. It just goes to show that two brains really are better than one--two sets of eyes see better than one, that sort of thing.

Thanks again--I'll use that one forever--with your permission of course.

All the best,

Lanny
Hi Lanny, use it by all means - I probably took it from someone else many years ago.

Loved the desert story, don't like spiders myself, but I squeal like a girl and head for the hills if I see a snake, we don't have any in New Zealand thank god. Australia has many different types though and I've spent a few years over there. I didn't see many in my travels, but I don't know the bad ones from the harmless types.
Those holes in the rock look - man made, and it looks like you were in side a cave or mine in one photo? Nuggy

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!! Lanny, I can't wipe this grin off of my face. And these sporatic chuckles that keep emanating from deep in my chest are beginning to worry me. :laughing9: :laughing9:

I knew there was something I liked about you, we're Soul Brothers. Some time, I'll tell you about the time I found myself 10 foot inside a wide (8 ft. or so) crack in high, dry bed-rock before I realised the "wires" I was breaking with my body were actually strands of Black-Widow webbing.

I found myself in your story and feeling everything you must have felt. I have to laugh to hold the screams back.

Years ago, a close friend and I were walking down the old river-road when he stopped and picked up a wandering tarantula and turned to walk toward me so that I could take a look at it.

I pulled my .357 magnum from it's holster and said: "Rich, I wouldn't harm you for the world, but you're standing behind a big f*****g spider that I'm going to shoot". :laughing7: :laughing7:

Personally, I'd rather share my sleeping bag with a 6 ft. rattle snake. Can't stand spiders!!

Thanks for a great humorous story!

Eagle

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hefty1 said:
Lanny you are killing me :sign10:
Remember i lived in Phoenix ( 8 yrs ) before i came up here.
LOLOL Those spiders are huge and they can jump a mile. lolol
And i still have some of those spiny spear things (jumpin choas? little round balls of barbed thorns,spears, needles???) in my foot.
Im cracking up down here Lanny, because i went through that same terror.
Sorry i dont mean to be laughing......... :sign10: i cant help it.
Love the story.

Hefty

Hefty--yes, that jumping Cholla cactus is horrible stuff. I got some stuck on my snake gaters--lucky I didn't get it on my leg--sorry about your foot--that's no fun at all. No problem, by the way, with your laughter--it was quite funny to reflect on, now that I can look back on it that way. When it happened, well. . . .

So glad you liked the story--we have a couple of things in common. Glad you got a good chuckle out of the story, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggy--man, I had a great laugh when you described what you do when you see a snake--sounds almost a carbon copy of what I do when I see big, ugly spider. I know it makes no sense, but it's just the way I'm wired.

About the photos with the holes Nuggy--you're right--old hard-rock mines out in the desert. All kinds of them all over the desert in Arizona and Nevada.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle--you're freaking me out with that story about the Black Widow webs and the bedrock crack--not the kind of place I'd ever want to find myself!

I loved your anecdote about your buddy standing behind the big spider--still laughing about that one!

I'm with you--snakes just don't rattle me, but from now on, when I'm in the desert, I think having a 357, or a shotgun, as a comfort measure, might make me feel much more comfortable.

Glad you had a good laugh Eagle. All the best,

Lanny

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome poem ED :icon_thumleft:

Would you add it to my personal page, please.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,720.0.html
Under the topic ~The Prospector poems~

Would be great to have yours posted there as well Lanny :icon_thumleft:
All are welcome to post there.

Gold Fever
by GoodyGuy~

I've a sickness that can't be cured
And a fever that can't be broken

I must find gold or as feared
I'll burst and I'm not joke'n

The only thing that'll fulfill my dream
and keep me from gettin' old

Is bein out there on any ol' stream
and pannin' some precious Gold

I'll hunt and pan and sluice all year
and when the truth be told

The only cure that I'll hold dear,
is when I hit that motherlode.

GG~

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Lanny in AB said:
No problem Joe--thanks for dropping by.

All the best,

Lanny

ur very welcome Lanny i look forward to your bedrock postings for we have been doing some extensive research here in my state of illinois on glacial gold , not too many places have exposed bedrock, as you know its always a good start when you find it.. but we do have a few ,( known locations for minute amounts of gold that has been found in the past) that we will be prospecting when the weather warms, your posts are a learning lesson for me as well as everyone else that posts on this subject, thanx for the info you share.. HH :icon_thumleft: Joe

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Merry Christmas to all.....from our house to yours. :hello:

Attachments

• Christmas 2010.jpg
    Christmas 2010.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 867

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Santa's choice of Gold Bug!

No wonder you're so jolly ;D

Merry Christmas!

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hefty! We need to see that Gold Bug out of the box!....I bet when your wife was at work, you opened that bugger up, assembled and out detecting already! I sure hope you wiped off the coil so your wife doesn't see dirt on it Christmas morning!....I hope everyone here has a great Christmas, and may the New Year bring harmony....hope....and prosperity to all....SushiDog

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Merry Christmas everyone, and a happy New Year!

All the best,

Lanny

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope everyone will have a great and prosperous New year! I was doing some research, and came across this really cool and interesting article (pdf) for Placer Gold Recovery Methods....I figured I would check it out, and I am sure glad I did because I learned about some "gizmo's" that I never knew existed....so I thought I would share:
http://www.consrv.ca.gov/cgs/geologic_resources/gold/Documents/SP87.pdf
I especially like the "Cone" that was developed in Australia....what a neat contraption!....Enjoy (I hope).....SushiDog

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SushiDog said:
I hope everyone will have a great and prosperous New year! I was doing some research, and came across this really cool and interesting article (pdf) for Placer Gold Recovery Methods....I figured I would check it out, and I am sure glad I did because I learned about some "gizmo's" that I never knew existed....so I thought I would share:
http://www.consrv.ca.gov/cgs/geologic_resources/gold/Documents/SP87.pdf
I especially like the "Cone" that was developed in Australia....what a neat contraption!....Enjoy (I hope).....SushiDog

Thanks for sharing!
Saved it,
GG~

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome....and I forgot to mention that some of the "gizmo's" have building plans....glad you enjoyed it.....SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go boy's and girl's! This article was taken from the Sacramento Bee newspaper......SushiDog

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011 - 12:21 pm

There is apparently still gold in those hills.

An anonymous Nevada County resident has turned up a nugget weighing nearly 100 ounces and will have it auctioned off in March.

The man, working on his own property near the historic mining town of Washington, turned up the nugget and some others embedded atop an ancient river bed that was mined during the gold rush.

The nugget was brought to Fred Holabird, a noted Nevada auctioneer and collector of historic artifacts who wrote that he screamed when he saw the monster rock.

Having a long background as a mining geologist, Holabird immediately recognized the area it came from and suspects it is the largest existing gold nugget from California, since most historic large finds have been melted down for bullion.

It's value, in gold alone, is estimated as approaching $140,000. However, Holabird believes it may be worth as much as $400,000 as an artifact.

It will be auctioned to the highest bidder March 15 in Sacramento.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Eagle....my daughter sent me that story a few days ago, and thanks for letting us know when the story first came out....can you imagine how much that nugget is worth? I mean, at $1,400 per troy ounce, I can figure that out, but....what do you think the nugget will fetch for being a nugget that weighs that heavy? It's not a nice show piece, per se, but it sure is great none the less....SushiDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions