Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
merry Christmas to you lanny. your pictures of the northwest are spectacular. my youngest son has the fever and is heading north when his daughter gets out of high school. he wants me to go but I don't to be the new food group in the valley. I like bears but I don't want bears to like me. they say you just have to be faster than the slowest guy but i'm the slowest guy. thank you for the pictures and have a happy new year dave

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
merry Christmas to you lanny. your pictures of the northwest are spectacular. my youngest son has the fever and is heading north when his daughter gets out of high school. he wants me to go but I don't to be the new food group in the valley. I like bears but I don't want bears to like me. they say you just have to be faster than the slowest guy but i'm the slowest guy. thank you for the pictures and have a happy new year dave

Thanks so much for your kind words. And, thanks for dropping in to take the time to express your opinion--it means a lot. I like your take on the speed of bears and the slowest person--it made me smile.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
(​Warning--Prospecting Poetry.)

I got a request for this on another thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well:

The Tale of Sourdough Sue

It’s time for the tale of Sourdough Sue,
A right salty gal was Sue, through and through.
She’d followed the strikes all over the west,
And chasin’ the gold was what Sue she liked best.

As summer was fadin’ there came word to her
A rush was a hapnin’, for certain, for sure
Yes, gold had been found, big nuggets, coarse flakes
“I’m goin’”, said Sue, “Whatever it takes.”

It seems in Montanny they had them a strike
And word of a rush, all gold diggers like.
So Sue grabbed her gear and loaded her mules
With beans, bacon, flour and stout minin’ tools

At last she was ready to head way up north
Sue knew t’would be tough, but still she set forth.
For week after week it was lonely and cold
But Sue couldn’t shake the lure of that gold.

The weather degraded the farther she went
The storms she encountered were not heaven sent
The goin’ was slow, the wind howled through the trees
The snow was so deep Sue wished she’d brung skis.

Them passes were chokin’ with oodles of snow
The air in those mountains was forty below
Now Sue weren’t no Pilgrim, but this here was tough
The sun had skedaddled, things just seemed too rough.

Sue needed a spot to ride out that storm
A shelter and fire to get herself warm
Well, off in the spindrift she spied her a light
To Sue there was never a more welcome sight.

A cabin it was, for certain, for sure
The warmth that it offered was likely a cure
For her toes and fingers, those needle-like pains
(Escape from that storm didn’t take many brains.)

The cabin was home to one Hook-Nosed Bob Brown
His spirits were up for they never were down
As looks weren’t his strong suit, he’d loaded his mind
With right clever sayin’s from book quotes he’d find.

When Sue came a stumblin’ from out of that storm
Dear Hook-Nosed old Bobby just turned on the charm
He sat Suzie down, right close to the heat
Then went to his stable—those mules got a treat,

Bob stripped off their harness, their cold heavy packs
He rubbed them both down with dry gunnysacks
He broke out some oats, chucked them sweet meadow hay
Bob forked down fresh bedding where both mules could lay.

Then back to the cabin he flew off to check
How Sue was a doin’, but she’d hit the deck
A buffalo hide, she’d found near the bed
And close to the fire, she lay like the dead

Well Bob had read somewheres to let such things lie
(T’was somethin’ on dogs, if you woke them you’d die?)
So Bob settled in for the rest of that night
While the storm shook the cabin with all of its might.

The mornin’ it came with a hushed quiet chill
The wind had died out, but the cold was there still.
Bob built up the fire, then snuck off outside
To check on those mules who thanked him bright-eyed.

Then back to his cabin he sped to his guest
For Sue was a stirrin’, so Bob did his best
He threw on some bacon, them beans got a stir
Whatever Bob did, he did it for her.

For up on the wall, on a peg near the fire,
A stocking was hung, and for what you enquire?
T’was Christmas of course, and Bob had desired
Something special from Santa, just like he’d enquired.

So, here was Bob’s woman, fresh in from the storm
And on Christmas eve, he’d made his place warm.
He’d trusted in Santa to grant him his wish
That Sourdough Sue was a right purty dish.

Well Sue and Bob bonded. His nose wasn’t right,
But Bob was so witty, it fled from Sue’s sight;
She saw there instead of what others had seen
The solid-gold-Bob that had always there been.

So, this is the tale of Sourdough Sue
Who went in a rush to find gold, it’s true.
But Sue didn’t know of Saint Nick’s crafty plan
To shoot her off northward to find there a man.

And just so you’re certain, so there is no doubt
(I’m sure in your mind you’ve figured it out)
In Bob’s Christmas stocking, hung there on his wall
Was a note from old Santa explaining it all.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

If you're new to this thread, most of the stories are on the first 55 pages or so. There are some others on higher page numbers, but most of the story-telling is on the pages previously mentioned.

Other writers have contributed stories from time to time, and the pages from 55 up usually contain shorter comments and more photographs than the earlier pages.

I hope you find something that interests you, as you cruise through the thread.

All the best,

Lanny

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny
Thanks for Sourdough Sue. Gave me a chuckle. What a great story I'll relay to the kids.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny, this thread and a few others have given me volumes of knowledge.

Thanks for your generous compliment--I appreciate it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny
Thanks for Sourdough Sue. Gave me a chuckle. What a great story I'll relay to the kids.

No problem Garret--I hope the kids enjoy it too.

All the best,

Lanny

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito Brother,

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your Sourdough Sue Christmas poem/story. Very well done, with an excellent
ending.

And, I'm wishing you will have a prosperous 2014!! (Many "sassy nuggets").

Love and Respect,

Eagle

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Halito Brother,

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your Sourdough Sue Christmas poem/story. Very well done, with an excellent
ending.

And, I'm wishing you will have a prosperous 2014!! (Many "sassy nuggets").

Love and Respect,

Eagle

Thanks so much, and a very prosperous New Year to you too Eagle my brother.

All the best,

Lanny

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow very interesting stuff. Not a great friend if he didn't share it with you. You lead him to a find and doesn't share it, not a great friend if I'd say so. Well I hope you find a bigger one for yourself happy hunting and thanks for sharing all the great info!!!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow very interesting stuff. Not a great friend if he didn't share it with you. You lead him to a find and doesn't share it, not a great friend if I'd say so. Well I hope you find a bigger one for yourself happy hunting and thanks for sharing all the great info!!!

Your'e welcome, and thanks for dropping in.

I'm not quite sure what situation you're referring to though, "You lead him to a find and doesn't share it, not a great friend if I'd say so."? You'll have to give me more information please.

All the best,

Lanny

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Happy new year Lanny!!

Hope all is well and you are on some gold!!

Been prospecting all winter in this dry CA environment.

Couple little pcs here and there but nothing to big, 4 grams on the largest pc so far.

Posted a pic of the best one, my friend and I found doing a dig and detect.

All the best to you and yours and big nuggets for 2014!!:hello:

Attachments

• SAM_1163.JPG
    SAM_1163.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy new year Lanny!!

Couple little pcs here and there but nothing to big, 4 grams on the largest pc so far.

There you go buddy--you're getting some gold that's got some sassy size to it!

I love the way you've got the gold posed up--that's a great shot.

All the best,

Lanny

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Gotta give credit to my detecting partner for taking such a nice pic.

Thanks for the encouragement and for such a nice thread to follow!!

I have learned many things from this thread, thanks to all who have posted and contributed.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy new year Lanny!!

That is one really cool looking peice of gold. Looks like a harp to me. I would be putting that one on a necklace!!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just found this picture I took a few years back at the State Fair in Nevada.

They had a bunch of old engines as well--engines that were recovered from mines, canyons below mines, etc. and then they rebuilt them to run.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread