Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy am I truly saddened to hear Eagle has passed on. I regret never getting to meet him. I was actually hoping to vacation this month and possibly visit him, especially since we didn't get to meet here in AZ.
He truly was a gentle man. Made you feel like a longtime friend. I loved picking his brain for knowledge and will miss his stories.
I know someday all of us will meet on the golden bottom stream in the sky.
Been away from TNet for a bit and I get to hear this on my first site.
Thanks Lanny for letting us know.
Take care up there. Some of my clients are from Canada and are always saying to come up. Problem is my slow season is your cold freezing time. Lol

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry to hear that your friend Eagle has passed away. I have only read about half of his posts so far and was planning to savor the rest of them over the winter. I do love a good treasure or prospecting story. He talks about areas in the USA that I have never been though, but he made them very real and extremely interesting. He wrote is such a manner that I already feel that I got to know him a little bit. His sense of humor was wonderful (always ending with an LOL). A loss for our world and an enrichment to the next.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That really hurts. I was just telling my wife two nights ago when we were talking about planning our next vacation that we could go to wine country. And, I could go hang out with Eagle. Seems the world has lost another good guy.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RIP ol' sod as the tribe thins of the true oldie but goodies.....bummer-John

So true.

And, he wasn't afraid of sharing what he'd learnt out there, which definitely isn't true of the many.

Thanks for droppin' in John and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy am I truly saddened to hear Eagle has passed on. I regret never getting to meet him. I was actually hoping to vacation this month and possibly visit him, especially since we didn't get to meet here in AZ.
He truly was a gentle man. Made you feel like a longtime friend. I loved picking his brain for knowledge and will miss his stories.
I know someday all of us will meet on the golden bottom stream in the sky.
Been away from TNet for a bit and I get to hear this on my first site.
Thanks Lanny for letting us know.
Take care up there. Some of my clients are from Canada and are always saying to come up. Problem is my slow season is your cold freezing time. Lol

You've penned some very nice words about Eagle. He'd have loved to hear them.

Nice tribute.

As for these stomping grounds (when Mother Nature has wrapped has given over the ground to be wrapped in Old Man Winter's frost-laden arms), you're right! In the winter season, when it hits, the only mining going on is the search deep underground.

I've had the opportunity of seeing many old drift mines, including some more that I visited this past mining season.

I even brought back some artifacts with me that are quite unique, ones that reflect the harsh conditions of the times and the scarcity of some of the essential materials they had to have for underground work. Moreover, I snagged some of the gold those old boys were chasing by cleaning up some nuggets they'd left behind in the bedrock. Modern technology allowed me to get a few nuggets their pick and shovel technology just couldn't recover.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sorry to hear that your friend Eagle has passed away. I have only read about half of his posts so far and was planning to savor the rest of them over the winter. I do love a good treasure or prospecting story. He talks about areas in the USA that I have never been though, but he made them very real and extremely interesting. He wrote is such a manner that I already feel that I got to know him a little bit. His sense of humor was wonderful (always ending with an LOL). A loss for our world and an enrichment to the next.

Nice, true statements about Eagle.

He really was great, and the stories he has left do reflect that in a wonderful way.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That really hurts. I was just telling my wife two nights ago when we were talking about planning our next vacation that we could go to wine country. And, I could go hang out with Eagle. Seems the world has lost another good guy.

Yes, lost, but because of his gold hunting tales, not one that will soon be forgotten.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the Rookies:

While I was out detecting last weekend finding some gold nuggets, I realized yet again an essential piece of detecting advice that is far too often ignored. In fact, it's ignored so often, I'm going to try one more time to instill how essential it really is.

That advice, the insightful tip I was given many years ago by people that were pioneering pros using detectors to hunt nuggets was this: "When you hear a slight or tiny disturbance in the threshold, immediately re-sweep the spot to see if you can get the 'slight disturbance' to repeat."

Now, that may mean sweeping the spot from various angles because all we're talking about is something that just barely breaks or disturbs the constant mosquito-like buzz in the headphones. Furthermore, almost all beginning nugget shooters, and far too many "seasoned" nugget hunters don't want to stop swinging the detector unless they get what they consider to be a good signal, a definite interruption in the threshold. And, well yes, sometimes I've found nuggets in that manner, but too many times I've found nuggets by focusing intently on repeating and varying my sweeps when there's only the tiniest inconsistency in the threshold, especially in areas that have been hit hard or in areas that I'm reworking with new equipment.

This pause to repeat causes me to remove a bit of soil; sometimes it's easily done just by using the side of my detecting boot, but at other times when working in hardpan or bedrock, I have to get the pick involved (never any fun when it's hot). And yes, it's hard work to chip away that difficult ground to get a small increase the depth. And yes, sometimes it's for nothing, but it's successful too often to bet against it, as the process produces nuggets, just like it did last weekend in two separate spots where I found nuggets, in spots that have both been worked very hard by other nugget shooters many times.

So, that's it.

This advice may seem like nothing to many, but it may just be the best tip you'll ever get, truly.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the Rookies:

While I was out detecting last weekend finding some gold nuggets, I realized yet again an essential piece of detecting advice that is far too often ignored. In fact, it's ignored so often, I'm going to try one more time to instill how essential it really is.

That advice, the insightful tip I was given many years ago by people that were pioneering pros using detectors to hunt nuggets was this: "When you hear a slight or tiny disturbance in the threshold, immediately re-sweep the spot to see if you can get the 'slight disturbance' to repeat."

Now, that may mean sweeping the spot from various angles because all we're talking about is something that just barely breaks or disturbs the constant mosquito-like buzz in the headphones. Furthermore, almost all beginning nugget shooters, and far too many "seasoned" nugget hunters don't want to stop swinging the detector unless they get what they consider to be a good signal, a definite interruption in the threshold. And, well yes, sometimes I've found nuggets in that manner, but too many times I've found nuggets by focusing intently on repeating and varying my sweeps when there's only the tiniest inconsistency in the threshold, especially in areas that have been hit hard or in areas that I'm reworking with new equipment.

This pause to repeat causes me to remove a bit of soil; sometimes it's easily done just by using the side of my detecting boot, but at other times when working in hardpan or bedrock, I have to get the pick involved (never any fun when it's hot). And yes, it's hard work to chip away that difficult ground to get a small increase the depth. And yes, sometimes it's for nothing, but too often to bet against it, the process produces nuggets, just like it did last weekend in two separate spots where I found nuggets, spots that have both been worked very hard by other nugget shooters many times.

So, that's it.

This advice may seem like nothing to many, but it may just be the best tip you'll ever get, truly.

All the best,

Lanny

Possibly the SINGLE best advice post ever made Lanny. Someting ALL of us should commit to permanent memory. :notworthy: :occasion14:

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possibly the SINGLE best advice post ever made Lanny. Someting ALL of us should commit to permanent memory. :notworthy: :occasion14:

Many thanks Terry.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got a couple of fantastic pictures of an incredible nugget.

I'm trying to get permission to post it as it's a true jaw-dropper!

If I get permission, I'll post it here for sure.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lanny

I read a few more of Eagle's posts and was heartbroken when he was so broke that he tried to sell his silver belt buckle. I only wish I had found him sooner and had been able to offer some help. I saw your replies around that time and really appreciate that you tried to get hold of him in hospital. I still have many more pages to read and he does live on in his words. Anyway, I want to thank you for kindness to him.

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I wait for that, here's 32 ounces of eye candy! [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lannyinab/media/e443d618-74af-4324-8b13-4445391cafd0_zps83e5cbef.jpg.html][/URL] I took this picture last trip out. The gold was all sorted by size and ready to ship. I got to hold all of it to boot!! That's the kind of fun that will always put a smile on your face. All the best, Lanny
Nice pics there Lanny. Just tells me I really got to get back at it. Hoping to get a trip planned in a couple weeks. I'll take my oldest son and see if we could find some of the flood gold. Plus hoping to hit a spot on the claim I think might have better gold. The weathers definitely getting better here though. At least not 100+ degrees in desert.

hardwrkr808

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, I have your name, and thread, by way of Eagle Down.
Sure sorry I didn't get a chance to sit and talk with him around a campfire.
I'm looking to get a good detector soon, one that's rated for underwater as well as on dry land.
If you could choose from the hundreds that are out there today, which would you go with?
I appreciate your input,
Scott, (Bedrock Global) :)

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, I have your name, and thread, by way of Eagle Down.
Sure sorry I didn't get a chance to sit and talk with him around a campfire.
I'm looking to get a good detector soon, one that's rated for underwater as well as on dry land.
If you could choose from the hundreds that are out there today, which would you go with?
I appreciate your input,
Scott, (Bedrock Global) :)

I have one, the Tesoro Sand Shark, but it will only see nuggets a gram and up. Their Tiger Shark is VLF and may see smaller stuff. Some people really enjoy the Garret Infinium and swear by it.

I've not really found an underwater detector for placer gold that I'm wild about yet, but I sincerely haven't spent that much time researching and looking.

Locate, then pop over to Steve Herschbach's site and give him a notification about what you're looking for. Just Goolge him and scan until you find his metal detecting site.

He'll have much better input than I would.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics there Lanny. Just tells me I really got to get back at it. Hoping to get a trip planned in a couple weeks. I'll take my oldest son and see if we could find some of the flood gold. Plus hoping to hit a spot on the claim I think might have better gold. The weathers definitely getting better here though. At least not 100+ degrees in desert.

So glad it's cooling down a bit for you.

I can't wait for you to find gold with your detector, and then to post a picture of the nugget that you finally get your coil over.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Lanny... just recently returned from a less-than-successful trip to the north country, called it quits a bit early. The cold extraordinary wet weather prevented any real effort at digging and detecting promising ground, it'll have to wait until next season. Did manage about 13 lbs of good silver plus one large highgrade but mixed silver ore I haven't had time to evaluate yet, but that's a meager result compared to any season in the past.

Very sad today to learn of Eagle's passing. I didn't know him as well as I had hoped to in the future, but recognized that Eagle was especially talented and gifted in many ways. He taught humility without actually using the words, and was adept at making us feel that we particularly mattered in the overall scheme of things.

We all need support to some degree from time to time, and Eagle helped fill that place in my heart. I regret that I wasn't more forthcoming in saying so, and should have expressed more appreciation for him. Regrets over things we should have done but didn't too often seem to me to be the worst kind to carry around... and there's no way to change things at least in the here and now. He will be sadly missed.

On a happier note, at least our appreciation for you and the effort that has gone into this thread has been expressed time and again. You're one of a kind Lance, hope you don't mind me saying so just one more time.

The interest sample photo below... yes I'm going back to colored backgrounds and incandescent lighting for a change... because it produces a much better "shine" than my outdoor shots of silver ores where silver usually looks no different than grey rock. This piece was acid-washed to expose silver and associated minerals, cleaned-up with a rotary tool followed by a dish detergent bath and rinse.

Trust all is well with everyone, and that your prospecting efforts have met with good success. :)

Jim.
2.2 LB NATIVE RUBY CALCITE SF14Y.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread