Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YAHOO time for batter up but believe that righteous mass a oro puro would definately bust the bat for sure WOW. Looks like he really paid the price for it as detecting in the snow,ice and cold is for the young in heart,body and mind. Amazing find and your kinds words always appreciated Lanny. Peace and prosperity to you and yourn in free Canada-John

Many thanks John.

I agree that taking a cut at that golden baseball would be a disaster for the bat!

Making his way through a blizzard to get to that nugget is for the young in heart for sure.

All the best to you and yours as always,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something just hit me: That big nugget back on page 128, weighs in at two pounds, four and a half ounces! (12 Troy ounces to the Troy pound.)

That's a magnificent chunk of gold.

All the best,

Lanny

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, I think it was you, who in the recent past, made a post (or re-post of another's) about observing high water flow to see dropout zone for gold. There was an explanation of water flowing side by side in opposite directions resulting in a good spot for gold to settle. I think this might have been a re-post of one of Eagle's. If you can recall this post would you reference it again, or anyone else for that matter.

Thanks,
Mike

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting on the benches (benches are about 97 feet higher in elevation) than the river and about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the river.. Happen to come across some very interesting history from the late 1800's. Found lots of evidence of ground sluicing, pebbles, cobble size and some larger rock piles stacked up on either sides of narrow draws / gullies. Also found higher up part of what I believe was a flume. Did not find any old sluice parts or parts from what could have been a dam (for booming) at the head of these draws. Over all an interesting find with lots of Chinese mining history......

GrSluice 1.JPG ..... GrSluice 2.JPG

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, I think it was you, who in the recent past, made a post (or re-post of another's) about observing high water flow to see dropout zone for gold. There was an explanation of water flowing side by side in opposite directions resulting in a good spot for gold to settle. I think this might have been a re-post of one of Eagle's. If you can recall this post would you reference it again, or anyone else for that matter.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of your reference, but I know for a fact that when a suction eddy (when the river cuts back on itself after hitting an obstruction, either one protruding or submerged) gets started, it generates a perfect low-pressure drop zone. I've found nuggets in these zones before, as a good suction eddy will allow boulders, steel rails, etc. to get pulled from the main force of the stream, and you know that if those super-heavies are dropping out, the gold is too.

In a suction eddy, the river runs back on itself, generating a whirl-pool like event.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went detecting on the benches (benches are about 97 feet higher in elevation) than the river and about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the river.. Happen to come across some very interesting history from the late 1800's. Found lots of evidence of ground sluicing, pebbles, cobble size and some larger rock piles stacked up on either sides of narrow draws / gullies. Also found higher up part of what I believe was a flume. Did not find any old sluice parts or parts from what could have been a dam (for booming) at the head of these draws. Over all an interesting find with lots of Chinese mining history......

I hope you take some time/took some time to do a little detecting in such a spot. With all of that disturbed ground, there should be some throw-out holes somewhere where testing took place--check around the margins of the main workings. Throwout holes are sometimes a great place to find stray nuggets. Depending on how they worked those piles (with some kind of classification), there's always the chance that a large nugget could have gone through their system, or if it was all sluiced with no classification, of course it would make finding nuggets a lot harder.

All the best,

Lanny

hardwrkr808

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, just curious, but What is the largest "nugget" you've found?
and where did you find it (generally speaking)?

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Lanny, Dennis here. Just thought I would stop by and say hello. I haven't posted anything here in awhile. Fact is I wasn't able to prospect this summer on my days off as usual. Family matters dictated otherwise for me. I did finally get a chance to get out recently. Had 4 fine days out in the field. I got at least 1 nugget each of 3 days. My partner only had 1 golden day and still exceeded my total by .8 of a gram. My best day was the 2nd of our trip and I got 2 nugs out of 1 hole and a nice specimen about 10 feet away. My total was 9.3 grams, my partner 10.1 grams, his being one nice piece. Sorry, no pics at this time. Just wanted to let you know I was still around and doing my part to get that sassy gold out of the pesky ground.

I hope you did well this season and look forward to your future stories. Dennis
P.S. So sorry to hear about Eagle.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of your reference, but I know for a fact that when a suction eddy (when the river cuts back on itself after hitting an obstruction, either one protruding or submerged) gets started, it generates a perfect low-pressure drop zone. I've found nuggets in these zones before, as a good suction eddy will allow boulders, steel rails, etc. to get pulled from the main force of the stream, and you know that if those super-heavies are dropping out, the gold is too.
In a suction eddy, the river runs back on itself, generating a whirl-pool like event.

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny, this is essentially what the other thread was saying. I'll take a look see to try and find it as well. It's that whorl-pool effect I was interested in.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if you folks celebrate this holiday the same time as we brothers to the south, but we sure are thankful for you.

Mike

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, just curious, but What is the largest "nugget" you've found?
and where did you find it (generally speaking)?

Thanks for dropping in, and I hope you've found some nice nuggets yourself, so I hope you won't take any offence; however, since we don't know each other, you'll forgive me if I don't answer such a personal question.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny, this is essentially what the other thread was saying. I'll take a look see to try and find it as well. It's that whorl-pool effect I was interested in.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if you folks celebrate this holiday the same time as we brothers to the south, but we sure are thankful for you.

Mike

I'm glad the information is useful to you, and you're most welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and we celebrate ours in October as our harvest season is at least that much earlier than yours.

All the best, and thanks for your kind words as I have nothing but respect for my brothers to the south,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Lanny, Dennis here. Just thought I would stop by and say hello. I haven't posted anything here in awhile. Fact is I wasn't able to prospect this summer on my days off as usual. Family matters dictated otherwise for me. I did finally get a chance to get out recently. Had 4 fine days out in the field. I got at least 1 nugget each of 3 days. My partner only had 1 golden day and still exceeded my total by .8 of a gram. My best day was the 2nd of our trip and I got 2 nugs out of 1 hole and a nice specimen about 10 feet away. My total was 9.3 grams, my partner 10.1 grams, his being one nice piece. Sorry, no pics at this time. Just wanted to let you know I was still around and doing my part to get that sassy gold out of the pesky ground.

Dennis,

So good to hear from you again.

Even though you didn't get out when you usually do, you've still had some good finds, and I always appreciate your advice and experienced opinion on chasing that sassy gold.

When you get a chance, drop back in to post some pictures when you find some you'd like to share.

Thanks for your kind words about the stories, and I still have a few left to tell.

Eagle's passing is indeed a sad event that shocked many.

All the best,

Lanny

hardwrkr808

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for dropping in, and I hope you've found some nice nuggets yourself, so I hope you won't take any offence; however, since we don't know each other, you'll forgive me if I don't answer such a personal question.

All the best,

Lanny
Wow, That was a surprise. I only stumbled onto this thread, from reading the great stories from Eagles Thread.
I had no idea that finding gold was such a "Personal" Thing.
Good luck with your endeavors.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, That was a surprise. I only stumbled onto this thread, from reading the great stories from Eagles Thread.

Thanks for the best wishes, and I found out long ago that asking people about the size of their gold finds is indeed highly personal.

As you can tell from my thread, I openly post pictures of finds from time to time, but everyone likes to have a few secrets. As I said, please don't take any offence as none is intended.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is when people start stalking you.

I had a good chuckle when I read your comment Jeff.

I recall reading many stories of people that discovered gold "strikes", and it was common practice for others to "stalk" the finder back to the diggings.

As I invite lots of people along on my gold outings, being stalked to the diggings wouldn't be much of a challenge, but I get what you're shooting at Jeff as the world is not the safer place it once was due to technology and the ease of obtaining personal information.

All the best, and it's always great to have you drop in,

Lanny

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

There are a few reasons for that, kinda like when someone wins the lotto, everyone from long lost family (that isn't really family) to the government step in to demand what is theirs and figure out where you are keeping the rest. This isn't the only reason but one of them.

For what he has shared so far, I am thankful as it has brought me great joy reading the threads and viewing the pictures.

Thanks Lanny. :)

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I happen to know for sure where Lanny found his best gold. In the ground somewhere after a lot of looking and hard work.

Now his best treasure he would have to tell about, but I am pretty sure it would be his family.

I appreciate Lanny's effort to enlighten us to his life of living the dream many of us wish we could do.

Thanks Lanny !!!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't thin hardworker808 had any intentions of stalking- " and where did you find it (generally speaking)? ". It was just, as he said, a curious response. How can you weigh your chances unless you have something to compare with?

OTOH- Lanny's response was, as always, appropriate. I don't think there's anyone here who wouldn't jump at the chance to prospect with him. I know I would.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a few reasons for that, kinda like when someone wins the lotto, everyone from long lost family (that isn't really family) to the government step in to demand what is theirs and figure out where you are keeping the rest. This isn't the only reason but one of them.

For what he has shared so far, I am thankful as it has brought me great joy reading the threads and viewing the pictures.

Thanks Lanny. :)

Why, many thanks to you! Your kind words mean a lot to me.

I've enjoyed following you along on your adventures as well, and I hope you have many more years of fun chasing the gold.

Thanks for dropping in to say what you did, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread