Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Certainly a fine lesson to learn. Look and ye shall find. Dig and ye shall find. I paid for my Gold Bug the 4th time out with a nice 1/4 ounce chunk somebody else snubbed. Target had a fresh scrape and foot prints. No idea why the person didn't finish digging the target. I mean it was only like 3 inches deeper, and not hard digging. All I know is my mother didn't raise such a fool. I dig every target, no matter what it sounds like or what the screen says.

Of course when using the Minelab, no screen keeps you from second guessing the readout. However I have found a few nuggets hiding under iron so that makes me keep digging. I can't tell you how many mule shoes, horse shoes and parts of both I have dug 2 foot deep or more, but I will continue to do the same knowing that one of these times that deep banging target will be a nice large chunk of the sassy yellow metal we all desire so much.

Now I will admit that I have passed on some loud banging targets late in the day on my way out, that are most certainly raspy old iron. But it always bothers me not knowing for sure, so I make sure I realize that target the next time out to satisfy my curiosity.

Lanny, I know I haven't been posting much of late. Summer is my busy season in the tow truck here in central Az. That doesn't mean I haven't been out. As a matter of fact, I am the proud owner of 2 new detectors as a result of my summer profits from work. Most recently I purchased the re-released GPX4500 since the time and price was right. I've only had it out once for a trial run. It will take me awhile to master this machine since it is quite a leap up from my ol' trusty 2100-V2 and has so many adjustment possibilities. No gold with it yet, but I had one 45 slug about 2 foot deep on bedrock that got me real excited. That 12x15 coil will certainly get the job done. As soon as I get some time to show it some love. My other recent purchase is the SDC2300. What a doll she is too!!!!! In 7 trips out with her I've realized 14 nuggets and have not came home without at least one nugget yet. My 1st night out with her I got only 3 targets and all 3 golden. I posted a story over on Rob's forum with a couple scanned pics of some of her finds so far. One of the spots I hit got me 3 tiny pieces that had been missed by myself and partner with my 2100 and 2 different Gold Bugs. That 2300 is a gold vacuum for sure.

One of the areas I have been working lately I believe to be a virgin wash. Just an overlooked tiddler, but finding the 1st nugget in there with the 2100 got the ball rolling. I've got 7 more with the 2300 that I had missed with the 2100. I'm sure partially because of different moisture content in the wash on different visits. No signs of any previous work in this spot and only 2 trash targets, 22 bullet fragments. It's a fairly small area, but I'm having fun with it for sure. It's one of those areas that keeps drawing you back knowing that if you get a target it will likely be golden.

Well, that's all I have for now. It's late and I better hit the sack. Keep the gold coming in while the weather allows. Dennis

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We've all heard the stories of the big finds in holes that others have abandoned or areas that have been "worked to death". Here is mine and what makes it interesting is that I was the one that had worked the area the day before.

I had been out testing an area to see if I felt it was worth filing a claim on and was using a X-Tera 705 down in the wash that ran through the area. After getting several hits in a stretch of the wash I decided to hit it with a ViperVac that AzViper had loaned me for the week. This was my first time using a vac on bedrock and after a while of running it I thought I was getting pretty good at using it. I was busting open cracks and sucking up all the materials I could out of them. My goal was to get the bedrock "clean enough to eat off of" and each time the vac filled up I was dumping it into buckets to process through my recirc system later. By the end of the day we had cleaned off a 15 ft stretch from bank to bank of the wash. All the cracks had been busted open and the bedrock was clean as could be.

The next morning I got up early and grabbed the X-Tera to start looking for a new section to hit with the vac. The sun hadn't even come up yet and I thought that using the area that I had vacuumed up the day before to ground balance the detector would be a good idea. As I attempted to get the X-Tera balanced so I could start swinging I kept picking up a strong target. After moving over a bit I managed to get the machine ready to go and ran it back over the area that I had picked up the target and sure enough it was still there. The sun had come up by this time and was just starting to hit the bottom of the wash. I noticed a ripple in the rock. Not a crack but more like a natural riffle. This entire area had been hit with the vac the day before and was really clean. On closer inspection I noticed something wedged into the ripple/riffle so I grabbed my crack tool and popped it out of the rock. I ended up being rewarded with a nice 1.24 Gram nugget for my effort!

So the morals of this story (for me at least) would have to be...
1. NEVER assume you "Got it all"
2. Always wear your glasses when running a vacuum (even if you just need "Reading glasses")
3. Always remember that gold can also hide in plain sight!
4. Always go over the area you just cleaned with the detector again.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Certainly a fine lesson to learn. Look and ye shall find. Dig and ye shall find. I paid for my Gold Bug the 4th time out with a nice 1/4 ounce chunk somebody else snubbed. Target had a fresh scrape and foot prints. No idea why the person didn't finish digging the target. I mean it was only like 3 inches deeper, and not hard digging. All I know is my mother didn't raise such a fool. I dig every target, no matter what it sounds like or what the screen says.

Of course when using the Minelab, no screen keeps you from second guessing the readout. However I have found a few nuggets hiding under iron so that makes me keep digging. I can't tell you how many mule shoes, horse shoes and parts of both I have dug 2 foot deep or more, but I will continue to do the same knowing that one of these times that deep banging target will be a nice large chunk of the sassy yellow metal we all desire so much.

Now I will admit that I have passed on some loud banging targets late in the day on my way out, that are most certainly raspy old iron. But it always bothers me not knowing for sure, so I make sure I realize that target the next time out to satisfy my curiosity.

Lanny, I know I haven't been posting much of late. Summer is my busy season in the tow truck here in central Az. That doesn't mean I haven't been out. As a matter of fact, I am the proud owner of 2 new detectors as a result of my summer profits from work. Most recently I purchased the re-released GPX4500 since the time and price was right. I've only had it out once for a trial run. It will take me awhile to master this machine since it is quite a leap up from my ol' trusty 2100-V2 and has so many adjustment possibilities. No gold with it yet, but I had one 45 slug about 2 foot deep on bedrock that got me real excited. That 12x15 coil will certainly get the job done. As soon as I get some time to show it some love. My other recent purchase is the SDC2300. What a doll she is too!!!!! In 7 trips out with her I've realized 14 nuggets and have not came home without at least one nugget yet. My 1st night out with her I got only 3 targets and all 3 golden. I posted a story over on Rob's forum with a couple scanned pics of some of her finds so far. One of the spots I hit got me 3 tiny pieces that had been missed by myself and partner with my 2100 and 2 different Gold Bugs. That 2300 is a gold vacuum for sure.

One of the areas I have been working lately I believe to be a virgin wash. Just an overlooked tiddler, but finding the 1st nugget in there with the 2100 got the ball rolling. I've got 7 more with the 2300 that I had missed with the 2100. I'm sure partially because of different moisture content in the wash on different visits. No signs of any previous work in this spot and only 2 trash targets, 22 bullet fragments. It's a fairly small area, but I'm having fun with it for sure. It's one of those areas that keeps drawing you back knowing that if you get a target it will likely be golden.

Well, that's all I have for now. It's late and I better hit the sack. Keep the gold coming in while the weather allows. Dennis

Dennis, I love your write-up and it's great to hear from you again.

You're the third person that's commented on the SDC 2300 and what a sweet little machine it is. I know that it's waterproof, but I'd like to know how it is for depth? If you don't mind that is. As well, what else do you like about it vs. other machines?

I've been doing some serious work with my X-Terra, the 5000, and especially the Gold Bug Pro, and I've found a great little catch of nuggets to show for it.

Any gold machine has a learning curve, and they are subtle with some of their certain differences, but they all need to be driven long enough to learn how to enjoy their different rides.

I imagine that your job of driving for work in the summers in Arizona is a hot, hot challenge, and I'm certain you're looking to some cooler weather so you can chase some more gold in more enjoyable conditions.

I enjoy that knowledge that you share, and the frankness and generosity with which you do so.

It will be great to hear from you again, and I'm really looking forward to it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the great post IMPDLN. I too dig every target cuz you really never know till you get there. Could be an Iron strong box, you just don't know.

Antique Stagecoach Cast Iron Lock Box Strongbox Safe Chest | eBay

Minelab SDC 2300 Gold Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco.

Yeah probably gonna have to wait to own one of those babies. Definitely get what you pay for as you have proven. :thumbsup:
GL/HH
Jeff

Jeff, always good to have you stop for a comment and visit.

I'm looking forward to you revealing what you found in your buckets of dirt you packed home.

I hope the goodies in the dirt puts a contented smile on your face as you deserve it. You just don't give up, and as you stick to what works, one day it will pay off, and I'll be able to hear you whoop and holler all the way up here!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've all heard the stories of the big finds in holes that others have abandoned or areas that have been "worked to death". Here is mine and what makes it interesting is that I was the one that had worked the area the day before.

I had been out testing an area to see if I felt it was worth filing a claim on and was using a X-Tera 705 down in the wash that ran through the area. After getting several hits in a stretch of the wash I decided to hit it with a ViperVac that AzViper had loaned me for the week. This was my first time using a vac on bedrock and after a while of running it I thought I was getting pretty good at using it. I was busting open cracks and sucking up all the materials I could out of them. My goal was to get the bedrock "clean enough to eat off of" and each time the vac filled up I was dumping it into buckets to process through my recirc system later. By the end of the day we had cleaned off a 15 ft stretch from bank to bank of the wash. All the cracks had been busted open and the bedrock was clean as could be.

The next morning I got up early and grabbed the X-Tera to start looking for a new section to hit with the vac. The sun hadn't even come up yet and I thought that using the area that I had vacuumed up the day before to ground balance the detector would be a good idea. As I attempted to get the X-Tera balanced so I could start swinging I kept picking up a strong target. After moving over a bit I managed to get the machine ready to go and ran it back over the area that I had picked up the target and sure enough it was still there. The sun had come up by this time and was just starting to hit the bottom of the wash. I noticed a ripple in the rock. Not a crack but more like a natural riffle. This entire area had been hit with the vac the day before and was really clean. On closer inspection I noticed something wedged into the ripple/riffle so I grabbed my crack tool and popped it out of the rock. I ended up being rewarded with a nice 1.24 Gram nugget for my effort!

So the morals of this story (for me at least) would have to be...
1. NEVER assume you "Got it all"
2. Always wear your glasses when running a vacuum (even if you just need "Reading glasses")
3. Always remember that gold can also hide in plain sight!
4. Always go over the area you just cleaned with the detector again.

What a great story of a sweet find! Thanks for sharing it here on the bedrock thread.

Nicely done on capturing some sassy gold!!

Nice of you to post your little list of safety, perseverance, and "gold knowledge" tips.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Booyah!

Getting more nuggets in the poke all the time, and the detector sniffed out a gold-laden crack in the bedrock that held an entire extended family of nuggets, but still no time for telling the stories as the weather's holding, and there's more gold to be got.

I'll have all winter to post the stories when all I'll be wishing is to be out chasing the gold when this land of chosen golden is solid frozen.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love the philosophical post. Gold snob risk also applies to us sluicers. :)

Thanks Kevin as I was very philosophical the day I posted it: you're on the money with your comment.

Drop in and leave one of your stories about chasing the gold when you get a chance. This thread could really benefit from a story or two from you.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:occasion14: Gold is where you find it and NOT where you don't find it. I love it when folks tell me to NOT waste my time as they got it all-----then I hit it big :laughing7: jus' sayn'-John

John,

always great to see you post. I hope you were able to get out a bit to retrieve some Cali gold.

What you've said is so true; your comments only showcase your hard-earned wisdom.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, great stories as always. Can't begin to count the hours
I've spent reading and enjoying them all...thank you for taking
the time to them all with us.

BTW, let your friend know he's found the "Rocker Arm Nugget" ...8-)

Mike, nice name suggestion for the nugget, and having done my share of messing around with engines, I love your metaphor for the shape of the gold.

Thanks for you kind words about the stories. It's readers like you that stop to comment on your enjoyment of the stories that makes the writing worth the effort to put it all together.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's 15 more of them just like it?

Wouldn't an entire set of rocker-arm nuggets be the best thing ever!!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can be a gold snob all you want and mother nature will hand you your arse on a platter every time...or so it seems for me. My last trip out was a perfect example. All the way there I was telling myself sample, sample, sample FIRST! But once I got there, I saw this bedrock "mountain range" running from flood bank to stream. It was about 40x10x12 with undisturbed rocks of graduated size lined up along side the downstream receding base. It was framed in the blue sky and pines, glowing, angels singing. :tongue3:

I went right to the low point and "sampled" while I dug like a madman to find a clay layer with no gold on it or under it. Yes Old Ma Nature did give me my biggest flake ever, so the brass ring was just enough to get me to go try again next week and do what? SAMPLE! Kinda like real estate...location, location, location. Will we ever learn? Doubt it, cuz sometimes thinking outside the box pays too!

Nicely said Jeff!

I'm sending you some positive vibes to give you a boost the next time you're out.

You're doing what you need to be doing, so keep at it: the gold will come.

All the best,

Lanny

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the kind words and vibes Lanny. I'm really looking forward to reading all about your 2015 adventures...especially during the chilly wet and stormy weather that is sure to come our way. Life kept me on the bleachers for a good portion of the season so I've been slowly getting back in shape and quickly making up for lost time. Between all you've taught me and with delnorter taking me under his wing, I can't (and no longer) fail at any of it...I just keep learning and finding. And having fun of course. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello again Lanny, Dennis here again. Driving in the Az. heat isn't a problem with a/c. Having to get out and work on the highway in 100+ temps and lots of rude traffic is the dangerous part. Especially when working wrecks. The heat isn't really that bad when you are used to it. I've lived here for over 49 years. The town I am based out of is between the desert and the pines so not like being stuck down in the valley.

You asked how deep does the 2300 work. That's a good question. Unfortunately I don't really know yet. So far I've only been out 8 times with it. Although I have gotten gold each time, most of it has been fairly shallow. Deepest so far was about 12 inches. Most recent piece from last week was 8 or so inches. A real nice 7.5 gram speci. Good solid target to start and banging hard when I was getting closer to it. Sounded like a nice solid lump but turned out to be a finely crystalized speci.

I like the portability, waterproof, and toughness of the machine as far as design is concerned. The compact fold out design and turn on and go setup makes it a quick unit to get up and running. It is a tracking PI so that is a little different from my 2100, but didn't take long to get used to that. The ground I have been working is highly variable so you get some false signals as you move along, but it tracks the ground noises out on the second swing through usually. I haven't had any problems with it tracking out any valid targets though. This machine is super hot, very sensitive to even tiny gold. I've only been on 3 of the washes I frequent so far and found gold on all 3 that I previously missed with my 2100 and my Gold Bug. I'm not going to say that I'm missing this gold with my other units necessarily. I haven't taken both units out together to check signals as of yet. As you know soil conditions constantly change along with atmospheric conditions.

I will say I am enjoying using the 2300. I love it's simplicity and super capability to find gold, especially crystalline specimens. However there are a couple issues with this unit. It does have a known problem with inadvertent restarts. Apparently due to the fact that Minelab uses springs at both sides of battery contacts. Evidently according to Minelab you have to be sure to install the battery door straight down to properly make contact, but in my opinion this would not be a problem if they used a flat tab instead of a spring on the positive end of the batteries, like every device made to use batteries for like 50 years now. They also use a special plug for headphones that currently isn't available anywhere, except for one person who makes and sells headphone adapters for a substantial price. The machine is affected by EMI in bad EMI areas like the spot I have been working. However the EMI there causes issues with all machines as it is real bad for some reason. I believe there is a cell tower a few miles away that bombards this area with radio waves as there are no power lines or any other electrical stuff in the area. And as with most Minelabs, the volume through headphones is lower than desired so most users will require some kind of an amp to boost volume. I'm using a $50 sound blaster signal enhancer that works well and weighs next to nothing. It just so happens to Velcro to the handle like it belongs there.

To summarize, is the SDC2300 the perfect metal detector? Certainly not, but what metal detector is. Does it find gold? You can bet your family jewels that it is a really excellent gold finding machine. I'm sure my 2100 is getting jealous since the 2300 is getting all my love right now. Eight times out and gold found every time. How can you not take her out again. I'm on a roll and I'm going to keep the streak alive as long as I can. I'll drop in a couple pics of my most recent specimen. Unfortunately I did break it during recovery........it happens sometimes with fragile pieces like this. Enjoy. P.S. 7.5 grams
Scan10001.JPG Scan10002.JPG

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting post IMPDLN. Excellent write up on the SDC.

Your comment about the battery on the SDC might just have solved a similar problem for me with the Minelab pinpointer. Once in a while, the thing just goes whacky, which clears when I turn it off/on and hold it still. It was getting so bad that I started using my Garret pinpointer again, although it is not as sensitive. I think I will MacGyver something with the battery to see if I can avoid this problem.

Nice job on the gold!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the kind words and vibes Lanny. I'm really looking forward to reading all about your 2015 adventures...especially during the chilly wet and stormy weather that is sure to come our way. Life kept me on the bleachers for a good portion of the season so I've been slowly getting back in shape and quickly making up for lost time. Between all you've taught me and with delnorter taking me under his wing, I can't (and no longer) fail at any of it...I just keep learning and finding. And having fun of course. :icon_thumright:

Jeff,

So far our weather is holding, but living here as long as I have, I know that can change in a heartbeat! That's just the life of living in the land of the frequently frozen.

Sorry to hear that you were on the sidelines so long, and I hope you'll have some sort of chance to get out there and make up for it.

I hope you're always checking that bedrock with a detector when you uncover it.

Recently I've found out that not only didn't the Oldtimers and the Chinese not get it all, but the modern gold miners, with all of their huge equipment, aren't getting all of it either.

Point in case, I checked a spot where they'd already cut off lots of bedrock, and there was still good gold, so they went down another three feet (which really tears up the equipment, but they got some wonderful gold). I went in for them to check and found a crevice that still carried on under everything they'd torn up, and it was carrying some great gold. In conclusion, technology is a wonderful tool for verifying whether the gold run truly has stopped or not.

As for the Chinese, they couldn't tell any better than the modern miners of today whether they'd got it all or not, but I'll bet if they'd had electronic technology to check their workings, they'd sure have used it. Regardless, I lost track long ago of the nugget count taken from "worked out" Chinese diggings. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I ran in to some nugget shooters that told me not to waste my time checking a bedrock area as the Chinese had obviously worked it; therefore, there would be no gold left to find.

I left at the end of the day with four nuggets the Chinese absolutely left behind because the detector could see into bedrock the Chinese had no way of seeing into.

All the best Jeff, and good luck,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello again Lanny, Dennis here again. Driving in the Az. heat isn't a problem with a/c. Having to get out and work on the highway in 100+ temps and lots of rude traffic is the dangerous part. Especially when working wrecks. The heat isn't really that bad when you are used to it. I've lived here for over 49 years. The town I am based out of is between the desert and the pines so not like being stuck down in the valley.

You asked how deep does the 2300 work. That's a good question. Unfortunately I don't really know yet. So far I've only been out 8 times with it. Although I have gotten gold each time, most of it has been fairly shallow. Deepest so far was about 12 inches. Most recent piece from last week was 8 or so inches. A real nice 7.5 gram speci. Good solid target to start and banging hard when I was getting closer to it. Sounded like a nice solid lump but turned out to be a finely crystalized speci.

I like the portability, waterproof, and toughness of the machine as far as design is concerned. The compact fold out design and turn on and go setup makes it a quick unit to get up and running. It is a tracking PI so that is a little different from my 2100, but didn't take long to get used to that. The ground I have been working is highly variable so you get some false signals as you move along, but it tracks the ground noises out on the second swing through usually. I haven't had any problems with it tracking out any valid targets though. This machine is super hot, very sensitive to even tiny gold. I've only been on 3 of the washes I frequent so far and found gold on all 3 that I previously missed with my 2100 and my Gold Bug. I'm not going to say that I'm missing this gold with my other units necessarily. I haven't taken both units out together to check signals as of yet. As you know soil conditions constantly change along with atmospheric conditions.

I will say I am enjoying using the 2300. I love it's simplicity and super capability to find gold, especially crystalline specimens. However there are a couple issues with this unit. It does have a known problem with inadvertent restarts. Apparently due to the fact that Minelab uses springs at both sides of battery contacts. Evidently according to Minelab you have to be sure to install the battery door straight down to properly make contact, but in my opinion this would not be a problem if they used a flat tab instead of a spring on the positive end of the batteries, like every device made to use batteries for like 50 years now. They also use a special plug for headphones that currently isn't available anywhere, except for one person who makes and sells headphone adapters for a substantial price. The machine is affected by EMI in bad EMI areas like the spot I have been working. However the EMI there causes issues with all machines as it is real bad for some reason. I believe there is a cell tower a few miles away that bombards this area with radio waves as there are no power lines or any other electrical stuff in the area. And as with most Minelabs, the volume through headphones is lower than desired so most users will require some kind of an amp to boost volume. I'm using a $50 sound blaster signal enhancer that works well and weighs next to nothing. It just so happens to Velcro to the handle like it belongs there.

To summarize, is the SDC2300 the perfect metal detector? Certainly not, but what metal detector is. Does it find gold? You can bet your family jewels that it is a really excellent gold finding machine. I'm sure my 2100 is getting jealous since the 2300 is getting all my love right now. Eight times out and gold found every time. How can you not take her out again. I'm on a roll and I'm going to keep the streak alive as long as I can. I'll drop in a couple pics of my most recent specimen. Unfortunately I did break it during recovery........it happens sometimes with fragile pieces like this. Enjoy. P.S. 7.5 grams

Great write-up Dennis!

Thanks so much for your time to respond.

As I've never used the 2300, I had no idea of any of its capabilities, liabilities, or inabilities. But now thanks to your report, I'm putting together a picture of what it's good for, and what it's issues are.

I really enjoy the fact that you've learned that all detectors have limitations, strengths and weaknesses. I like your frank appraisal and openness on the subject, and I enjoy your willingness to share that wisdom. I'm only sad I hadn't made your acquaintance when I was stomping around the desert in Arizona; I believe we'd have had some fun chasing the gold together.

I spent enough years running tow truck up here in our wildly different weather conditions, including towing people out during blizzards and ice storms as well as the tamer summer tow jobs, but I've spent nothing like the length of time you've put in. I was a short-timer earning money to continue my education when I was working on the highways.

Changing subjects, I wonder if there's some way you can modify your battery compartment to get rid of those awkward springs? The situation of the restarts sounds like crazy making behavior for sure, a problem Minelab should be smart enough to avoid in the first place, but they are somewhat known for sticking with antiquated or awkward components just because they've ordered so many units thus equipped that they don't want not to use them, like their heavy battery packs and accompanying cases, vs. the light alternatives sold by aftermarket suppliers as well as the smart choice to boost their signal strength, once again by relying on aftermarket business to make up the shortfall. I admire Minelab and deeply respect their technology, but I'm profoundly puzzled sometimes by their inability to adapt to simple changes that would easily satisfy their consumers.

Well, thanks for your time, and stay in touch, plus, thanks for the pictures of that beautiful find of yours.

I'll get around to posting some pictures of sassy nuggets and pickers as well as writing a few stories when the snow flies up here. Until then, I'll continue to take a shot at the gold whenever I get the chance. The weather is the big determiner here as to when my season ends.

I love the winter weather of your Arizona playground, much warmer and detector friendly than the -20 or even lower weather tantrums thrown by our climate here in the winter.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting post IMPDLN. Excellent write up on the SDC.

Your comment about the battery on the SDC might just have solved a similar problem for me with the Minelab pinpointer. Once in a while, the thing just goes whacky, which clears when I turn it off/on and hold it still. It was getting so bad that I started using my Garret pinpointer again, although it is not as sensitive. I think I will MacGyver something with the battery to see if I can avoid this problem.

Nice job on the gold!

Minelab's sometimes puzzling choices with their designs baffles me as well. I'm not sure that's what you're dealing with in conjunction with your pinpointer or not, but I hope you're able to find a solution.

All the best,

Lanny

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, we can actually get some substantial snow at times. What we don't get is the sub zero temps that make it stay around all winter. I guess some might think I'm kind of a weird duck, so to speak, as I rather enjoy working during snow storms, lol. It's usually around 30 degrees when it snows here so very tolerable. However snow does add another level of danger to what I do as you know. The problem is people just don't know how to drive in that white stuff.

I agree that we would have fun hunting sassy yellow gold. Maybe some day we might get that chance as we never know what the future has in store for us. Certainly we have a few things in common and I'm sure we would have some similar stories to share around a camp fire.

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to modify the battery contact, but for now I and other SDC operators use a piece of cardboard or something like that as a shim to help keep the batteries from shifting around. Seems to help, but you have to pay attention when installing battery door to insure proper contact with positive post. A likely simple fix would be to solder a flat metal contact onto the end of the spring.

Ok, well get back out there and find that gold while the weather allows. I know how fortunate I am to be able to look for the noble metal year round. Even though other prospectors in this great state haven't quite figured that out yet, lol. Wishing you a very golden finish to your limited season. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions