Been a slow spring, but this was a good hunt (CW relics)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This spring has been a bit of a disappointment in regards to finds, and I was not sure how well I would fare hunting well picked over camps in the red clay of VA.... and to top it off I was using a Minelab GPX 5000 for the first time. Before I go any further let me say a big thank you to BedfordBob of Fort Bedford Metal Detectors (Bedford, PA).... he loaned me his personal detector for the day to demo it - all I can say is wow what a machine! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: It made me a believer! :notworthy: The demo worked for Bob because I need to start saving to buy one expensive, but awesome detector. :tongue3:

These finds were with zero previous experience with it - other than him showing me the basics in his shop and about 5 minutes between rain drops in my test garden. I touched nothing in regards to setup... just turned it on, and started swinging. This compares to my son finding one bullet and a few cartridge casings with the Etrac and Whites TDI.

In the picture with all of the finds, you will see one cartridge casing that was cleaned, the rest are dirty because they are fragile. The one I cleaned is the first one I have ever found that is complete..... :)

The last picture is all of the junk that was dug - virtually nothing! :notworthy:

I still have to break the news to the wifey that I need a $5000+ detector! ::) :help: ;D

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 4_18_11 relics.jpg
    4_18_11 relics.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 601
  • bullet in the hole.jpg
    bullet in the hole.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 609
  • small caliber bullets.jpg
    small caliber bullets.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 598
  • junk 4_18_11.jpg
    junk 4_18_11.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Been a slow spring, but this was a good hunt

Love the red relics WTG

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Man you did really good for your first time out with that thing. I'm glad I was able to help make your day a good one ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Awesome. My feet wouldn't touch the ground for a month if I was able to dig that many great relics in a hunt.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I hunted at the last DIV and my hunting partner was using a GPX 5000 and he dug about 100 bullets. That machine was finding targets so deep the other machines could not find them. I saw him dig a button two feet deep. Yes that machine is expensive but if you are going to hunt relics that is the deepest one on the market. I too would love to have one.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
Nice finds. I hunted at the last DIV and my hunting partner was using a GPX 5000 and he dug about 100 bullets. That machine was finding targets so deep the other machines could not find them. I saw him dig a button two feet deep. Yes that machine is expensive but if you are going to hunt relics that is the deepest one on the market. I too would love to have one.

I didn't find any buttons two feet deep, but I did find some things a few other detectors would not pick up... on one target I had my son try to check it with the Etrac.... it could barely pick up anything, and it reported the iffy signal as junk. :-[ Probably would have skipped over it if swinging while walking. He dug it at my insistance and it was a 3 ringer. ;D

Found another with the GPX that that barely could be heard with the TDI.... :dontknow: it sure convinced me that the GPX is quite the machine. :wink: And one can only imagine how much it would be like once it is learned well and optimized for the conditions! ;D

I talked with BedfordBob about it tonight.... I'm no where near ready to get one but if I am fortunate enough to sell a few things maybe... just maybe one can be in my hands for the fall hunts. :tongue3:

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds... Sounds like the Minelab 5000 is the way to go!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries!
I'm hearing lots of good things about the 5000.
Funny how the model number matches the price ;D

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved and hated this post at the same time ! I loved looking at all the nice old relics , I hate the fact that now I want a $ 5000.00 detector :laughing7: MaineRelic

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MaineRelic said:
I loved and hated this post at the same time ! I loved looking at all the nice old relics , I hate the fact that now I want a $ 5000.00 detector :laughing7: MaineRelic

I know the feeling!!!!! :)

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: Whoa a $5,000.00 detector? That is one expensive machine but it sounds like it's worth every penny to go that deep. :notworthy: HH
Scot

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mach 1 Pilot said:
treasurehound said:

I didn't find any buttons two feet deep, but I did find some things a few other detectors would not pick up... on one target I had my son try to check it with the Etrac.... it could barely pick up anything, and it reported the iffy signal as junk. :-[ Probably would have skipped over it if swinging while walking. He dug it at my insistance and it was a 3 ringer. ;D

Found another with the GPX that that barely could be heard with the TDI.... :dontknow: it sure convinced me that the GPX is quite the machine. :wink: And one can only imagine how much it would be like once it is learned well and optimized for the conditions! ;D

I talked with BedfordBob about it tonight.... I'm no where near ready to get one but if I am fortunate enough to sell a few things maybe... just maybe one can be in my hands for the fall hunts. :tongue3:

I feel the same way. Thanks for your review of that machine. I have been drooling over one for a while now. It's just soooo expensive! I guess I will have to sell some of my relics...

Great digs! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread