been awhile...a general observation:

D

DeepThought

..when I first started this, I was happy to find even a rusty nail in the ground. Then, I learned to use the discriminate functions..a step up. I then moved on to coin hunting clad & successfully IDing my targets. I couldn't get out enough. Suddenly, I find all of that unrewarding. Instead of dealing with what turns up, I find I want to hunt specific targets, changing the whole equation. For example, if that specific target isn't available to search for, pulling up the handful of clad doesn't turn my crank like it did. A phased evolution in usage, I suspect all the old-timers will probably agree with. ?

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only been doing this a couple years, but I have observed the exact same thing. I used to go nuts over finding a silver coin. But now, it's just another Merc.... I still like finding it, just not as exciting as it first was. Probably a natural human nature thing.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver still gets me pumped. Love to see that shiny bit sticking out of the deep black dirt.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..when I first started this, I was happy to find even a rusty nail in the ground. Then, I learned to use the discriminate functions..a step up. I then moved on to coin hunting clad & successfully IDing my targets. I couldn't get out enough. Suddenly, I find all of that unrewarding. Instead of dealing with what turns up, I find I want to hunt specific targets, changing the whole equation. For example, if that specific target isn't available to search for, pulling up the handful of clad doesn't turn my crank like it did. A phased evolution in usage, I suspect all the old-timers will probably agree with. ?

I agree 100%. The more i find and the better i get with my detectors I started feeling the same way. I know most any detector can be a coin hound but now I seek more jewelry but don't have beaches in my area so I continue to hunt parks etc. It's a great challenge for me now and the clad is picked because it is there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 43+ years of hunting, I still get jazzed over finding silver of any kind. I couldn't care less about clad anymore however!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 43+ years of hunting, I still get jazzed over finding silver of any kind. I couldn't care less about clad anymore however!

I agree, don't get me wrong I love digging silver, just not as exciting digging a Rosie, or Merc, as it used to be. I consider any hunt that I dig silver on a success!

As far as Clad, I'd rather dig a Wheat Penny than a clad quarter...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, after starting in 1970 I no longer care about a lot of dug items. I mostly dirt hunt but have started beach hunting since it is the only continuously renewing resource. Long ago I never wanted clad, throw away old rusty axe heads and other assorted rusty iron relics, pocket knives. Bullets go into my melting pot. I was astounded that people collect old shell casings and shotgun shell butts, which I only found out about a couple of years ago when I found forums. All my old hunting buddies and I have always thrown them out and still do. I don't care about wheat pennies either, but all silver still floats my boat, and I love old early coppers, shoe buckles and the early non ferrous relics. I know that many areas are well hunted out, and many areas never had the real old stuff so I surely understand why some folks get pumped over finding what I consider junk, and I am glad they are happy with their finds. When I started there were no discriminators so we dug all targets and now that I do discriminate on some sites I am sure I am missing some interesting items. Everybody likes different things, I like old enameled pins, early dog tags, etc., but I probably miss a bunch by seeking silver. I love seeing newer hunters finding nice coins and jewelry since it is getting much harder to find with all the pressure of so many hunters out there these days, helps give me the desire to keep at it even though all public places near me have been well hunted for years. I do miss the days when most sites were virgin, silver and jewelry and early artifacts were abundant, and permission was easier to get, but even though times have changed I still love the hunt.

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate pennies! Lincolns and wheats. Hate 'em! I didn't know people collected old shell casings! I just threw away an old 25-20 casing the other day. I've also thrown away old 10 gauge shot-gun shells.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I do it for the exercise and the hunt! Every find for me is a treasure! With that being said, I wish I'd swing over a Rolex!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread