Been hiding in the shadows

cbac

Greenie
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had Treasurenet in my favorites for a couple years. Reading posts but not really joining because I'm mostly a scrounger? I mean I rarely used a metal detector and mostly used my eyes and maybe a stick to move stuff around to see what's under "that". :)

Not to say that I've not had a MD for a long time. I have a vintage Bounty Hunter TR600 for ever. It's not fancy, just a big box with a VR meter and a volume and sensitivy control.

It's simple but it has done a fine job. I moved into this house 29 yrs ago and promptly lost my set of keys, house, car, office, etc.
They simply vanished.

five yrs past and I was wasting a Saturday morning and saw the TR600 at a garage sale and they wanted 25$ and I offered 10 and took it home. Clamped in a 9volt and fiddled around in the front yard.

The thing went BEEIUPPPPPPP and I got a screwdriver and poked around and YUP I found my lost set of keys about four inches down. I cleaned them up and they still fit my car and the doors.

I also ran the backyard and collected hundreds of vintage pull tabs and a lot of shredded aluminum foil from my dogs steeling from finished BBQs and pooping it out in various places.

One day I was out searching for one of the dogs tags and I ran across a strong hit that turned out to be a rusty cylinder at a 45 degree angle, I put a stick to mark it and six feet away I hit another rusty cylinder, same angle pointed towards the other one.

When I sticked tat one my mind started turning. I went one direction and found nothing so reversed on the first 45 and found another ten ft away and the conversant six feet from that.

I had four sticks in a pattern that suggested what....

A swing set!

So I did a little mental geometry and swing theory and found a nice bunck of fifty and sixty vintage ice cream change that's fallen out of the kid's pockets. Wheats, silver dimes and quarters and a couple steel cars.

That was fun.

I found another MD at a garage sale, a TH Lone Star, 50 bucks, they said it was broken... it needed batteries. Right? hahhha

I've not found anything other than about twenty five buck of lost change in the yard and wome odd change on a local beach but it's half paid for.

I lost my point, scrounging, or visual exploration for artifacts.

A sad event happened in November 1963 and my Dad decided that he wanted to experience a change of venue and he started searching for an opportunity.
Ford introduced the Mustang in April 1964 and Dad brought one home. He also told us that he'd taken a job in the USVI and just like that we and the car were off to St. Croix.

After living there a couple years me and my friends started exploring an abandoned sugar mill that had been there from the 1700s I suppose. There was a slave revolution and the mill had been destroyed.
I started picking up shards of Danish plateware and a few hunks of iron, farming implements. I just stashed them in a box and time past and I forgot about them. But I apparently kept them as I found them in a box in my shed.

Where do I post pics of these relics or for that matter any of the other things I've pulled out of abandoned places? (a decrepited National Geographic from under a fallen down farm house in Idaho or a tent rope stay from a mining camp in the Mountains near the Koutenny river?)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, glad to have you on here, sounds like you enjoy all aspects of Treasure hunting as do I.
You can post your finds on the Relics section.

Fossis...........

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif