Been out of the hobby for a while...........

SANDLAPPER

Jun 1, 2003
SC Lowcountry
I gave up detecting after 39 years in 2006 following knee surgery.....probably about the same time FRL was acquired by First Texas Products. I've always been a fan of Fisher products - especially the CZ-6 and CZ-70Pro.
Now, on returning to the hobby fully healed, I only recognize the CZ3-d and the 1266. Is there now a comparable Fisher product to the old CZ line??
I noticed they still use the Fisher Name, etc.........Who's running the company? Have they suffered any loss of quality in the shake-up?
Thanks & good hunting,

Butch in SC
"SANDLAPPER"

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Lot's of questions to catch up on, Butch! skypilot02 here! Hope your knee continues to do well, first of all. Is there now a comparable Fisher product to the old CZ line?? No, not really, in regards to several factors, some of which are good, others not so good. First, the old "tough as a tank" Fisher is no longer with us, being replaced by lighter models such as the F series. The F series detector is a great detector, but if you take initial impressions as an indication, you may be disappointed. The "new" line just doesn't feel as robust as the 1266, for instance. However, after using my F-70 since the unit was introduced, I can say they are more than capable of handling quite a bit of accidental "rough housing". I noticed they still use the Fisher Name, etc.........Who's running the company? That would be F.T, as much as I can gather. However, the true answer, (designers, engineers, etc..) would be that a suprising amount of the same folks who worked on the 12 and CZ series detectors are purported to be doing their thing at F.T. As for the name, I must assume it was part of the buyout. Have they suffered any loss of quality in the shakeup? Ahhh, the 64 thousand dollar question.... In my opinion, the F series units do not seem to be in the same league as the CZ or 12 series. Compared side by side, one is led to the conclusion that the F series is cheaply made. And regardless of the flack I may take about this, The first F-75 WAS poorly constructed. That said, F.T. seems to have the problem remedied. Biggest problem was EMI. My own unit could not be used in town, (at all), or the deep woods, IF I had my cell phone in my pocket on standby. Without the cell, the unit was too unstable. To F.T.'s credit, I know quite a few owners who have revised units that work perfectly! My own unit seems to work very well at this point in testing, but I'll know more later! Depth on the new revised unit is very comparable to the 12 and CZ series, target recovery is MUCH better! ID is more precise, when the unit is properly set up. All in all, if the F-75 unit I purchased worked as well as the newer revised units seem too, I'd buy one all over again. BUT, I personally like the ergonomics of the F-70 much more than the '75! Hope this helps! Holler and let me know! Great hunting and good luck! Regards, Richard

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Fishers aren't built like they used to be. The new comers to the hobby don't have much to compare them to so they think they are very good. First Texas runs the company and buys the components with the main interest the bottom line. The lifetime warranty is gone and they did have a customer service problem at first but a lot of guys and gals are reporting being treated fair. I know when my old Excal CZ-20 dies, I won't replace it with the CZ-21. Same goes for the 1235, CZ-6a and the 1280's that I let my relatives use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread