Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ever have one of those days when every target is a beer bottle cap? Had one today at Clearwater Beach, Fl. Spent 5 hrs there in the flat surf digging beer bottle caps. Pulled-out about 20; and those were the ones I kept and didn't simply pass up because of obvious sounds. Why did I even pick up 20? When things are going slow I tend to pick up iron targets, larger targets that are obviously not coins or jewelry and anything with odd sounds associated with "junk". And lucky for me!

I was hunting in about 4 ft of water and came across an object that I quickly recognized as buoyant. After failure to retrieve the oblong moving object with my long handled scoop, I used my coil to bounce the object upward until I could grab it. IT turned-out to be my $150 Pointer! It had come out of the holder on my belt and by a miracle I came across it as it sunk to the bottom and floated by. Turned-out to be my best find all day.

Did I make back the $15 I spent for about 5 hrs of parking? Not a chance. But I'd gladly pay $15 to spend a day enjoying the hobby I love best...sorry numismatics, sorry bibliophiles, step aside toy steam engines - let me toil in the Sea with my detector at my side and for that I would be eternally grateful.

Upvote 10

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a park that I just can't find it in my heart to detect because everywhere is beer bottle caps, I know there could be goodies but so far I think I have found like .50 in clad and I have been going there for years It is the local hangout for drinkers and is real trashy.The only way I found the clad was by using my sniper coil there is so much trash.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fate smiled on you for sure. Lol. Pinpointers can be sneaky sons of *****es, hopping out of holsters in the worst possible locations.

I lost mine once in a corn field full of corn stalks and stubble, and spent a half hour carefully backtracking before finally finding it again.

Glad you found yours, sounds like a great day.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I,too, have spent much more for parking than I recovered. Heck, some days I don't enough find enough to cover the cost of the batteries used. I still wouldn't want to be doing something else though.

Lost pin-pointer? I was detecting a very popular New Hampshire beach one summer morning, got back to my car only to find that I had dropped my back-up pin-pointer (an almost brand new White's). By now (9:30am) the beach was starting to get crowded and I almost said the heck with it, somebody has found it, it's gone. Not wanting to give up without at least taking a chance, I retraced what I thought was my path almost the entire length of the beach and there it was, bright orange butt cap and black body laying on top of the sand with people's blankets and chairs set up within 15'. I couldn't believe no one picked it up. How lucky was that?

HH
dt

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my phone once while detecting luckily found it after about an hour of searching.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post,,
I see you are using an Excalibur.
I know the sound that a bottle cap will give you.
If the good targets are scarce, I will retrieve the bottle caps. You never know when one of those bottle caps might be masking a gold ring. Make sure people see you dumping those bottle caps in the trash cans. They like it when people clean their beaches.
Congrats on saving your pin pointer.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! I got tired of going back to find mine, so I tethered it to my belt loop! Haven't had to look for it since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread