before its gone forever

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC00684.JPG couldn't resist a shot of this old barn before it's gone. then I'll go in and look for goodies!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo_camera.gif
Nice photograph! I would love to have some of that word for some projects - old wood is fantastic!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let it fall on you.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I worked at the Climax mine in the late 70's and early 80's we'd drive going to and from Buena Vista by this old barn out in Hayden Flats and someone would mention every now and then "I wonder when that old barn will fall to the ground" ?? . I don't know when it did, but it finally did crumble to the ground. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-daily-snapshot/461074-old-barn.html I went over Independence Pass last summer and was really was surprised at how much less the old ghost town of Independence looked compared to what it looked like 35+ years ago to today. I'm pretty sure now even I will be turned back to dust here in the Rockies some day.

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool! I know where Hayden flats is, I spent countless days in Leadville digging bottles and relics for decades. Spent many of day around Camp Hale too. Beautiful country, it's amazing the amount of land removed from Climax though!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha, 'cuz you want in it will probably lean over like that for the next 200 years. That would be my luck anyhow.

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha, you are probably right, There is probably a once in a lifetime find in there. like maybe a 1920 Indian cycle.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I know where Hayden flats is, I spent countless days in Leadville digging bottles and relics for decades. Spent many of day around Camp Hale too. Beautiful country, it's amazing the amount of land removed from Climax though!
Land?..we took down 1/2 of Bartlett mountain. There was a small city underneath that summit back when I was there. Never see that again, as modern mining equipment can replace 20 guys with a jackleg these days. I never dug in the Leadville dump. I have tho seen some large bottle collections of other who did. Sometime it was in the early 80s Leadville redid all the old sidewalks up town. Underneath all the old concrete was all the old rotting wooden boardwalk slats. Going through town in our carpool on the way to work the town had metal detectors folks coming in and hunting all up and down the street up town. I herd a lot fantastic finds were made during that construction. I can still picture that time in my mind seeing folks swinging MD's on piles of dirt here and there. I doubt that opertunity will ever come again soon. I'd go cross country skiing on moonlit nights out in Camp Hale. They'd also drag race cars out there in the summers on a large stretch of blacktop with the Leadville boys and Minturn guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, really changed the area. My Dad and I set up a motorized sifter along one of the main torn streets back then, tokens, coins and loads of cartridges, smashed bullets. That town made Tombstone look like Disneyland! I got lots of good 10th mountain stuff from Camp Hale/ski Cooper area. DSC00970.JPG Dug this hat from an 1890's Leadville privy on the east side, and I swear on my life, the hole in the side was how it came out of the pit.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, really changed the area. My Dad and I set up a motorized sifter along one of the main torn streets back then, tokens, coins and loads of cartridges, smashed bullets. That town made Tombstone look like Disneyland! I got lots of good 10th mountain stuff from Camp Hale/ski Cooper area. View attachment 1258338 Dug this hat from an 1890's Leadville privy on the east side, and I swear on my life, the hole in the side was how it came out of the pit.
Really! That's a neat find, That be a good accessory to wear on "boom days" ... Did ya ever see that antiques roadshow episode, where that fella working on an old house in Leadville found under the floor all those old metal cans from the 19th century, that still had the original paper label's on em? .. The appraiser valued them all at $10K to $14K. Late 19th-Century Vintage Can Labels | Roadshow Archive | PBS

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never saw that, I'll check it out! The privy this came out of was loaded with well over 100 1890's bottles, mostly beers and whiskey flasks. only a few of them were embossed from Leadville. this guy was an alchoholic for sure. there is a very dark stain on the inside of this hat where the hole is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread