Before you venture into the woods and detect this spring BEWARE ....

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Before you go out and detect this spring These may be lurking about ONLY 30 miles North of NYC , Lions , Tigers & Bears oh my ??? .

Mysterious Big Black Cats Shock Rockland County
Father, Son Not First To Tell Of Harrowing Experience With Massive Feline: "Had 3-Foot Tail, Was 4-5 Feet Long"
http://wcbstv.com/local/mysterious.big.cats.2.963467.html

Large cats, possibly panthers, seen in Rockland County?
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090319/NEWS/90319010/-1/NEWS

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
people will think you are crazy but they are out there.

minertheron

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend saw a huge cat in tioga in south central new york dont know what it was just that if it was a bobcat it had giant-ism

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have some big black cats right here in White Plains, New York. I guess since 2009, they had time to come across the Tappan Zee. :thumbsup:

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
I live up in the Finger Lakes area and used to work at the Tompkins County airport in Ithaca. One night I was leaving the airport and across the road from the security fence is a wooded area owned (I believe) by Cornell University. As I turned onto the road my headlights played across the grassy area between the road and woods - and I swear I was looking at a cougar. It looked just like any picture/video I've ever seen of a mountain lion type big cat. I saw its full profile and its head was turned towards the road and the eyes shined as the lights hit it. Really freaked me out. I've always got my Government Model .45 in a shoulder holster when I'm in the woods now. The coyotes are my bigger worry... Four of them surrounded my barbers tree stand when he was scouting for deer season!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, local paper (Record) can't even get the location right!! Palisades is only about ten-twelve miles from NYC. I'm about twenty miles north of the city and spend a lot of time in the woods, haven't seen any big cats yet. Bears, yes, coyotes, yes, but mostly up in Suffern-Stony Point area.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an avid hunter/fisherman near broome/delaware counties. I'm in the outdoors all year long and have seen some very interesting footprints. In fact, just last week I recieved a call from my brother who while hunting came accross very large feline tracks. I've heard many stories of sightings and even of people finding deer carcasses up in trees, which is what felines do to cache food.

From Oct.1st - march 31st I hunt at night for coyotes and fox and I feel the need to say that they can smell a human from 100's of yards away and will flee from humans in a blink. All the stories of coyotes surrounding people are a bunch of phooey! I'm part of a NYS coyote club with 100's of members who are out there just as much as me( atleast 3-4 nights per week) and they would all say the same. I'm not calling the new member here(ce550av8r) a liar, but you can't believe everything you hear, just like the claims of lions/bigfoot sightings. I do believe they could be here, but it won't keep me from going out alone, in the dark, with just my rifle and flashlight to call coyotes.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worked as camp host in federal parks and rangers are bringing cats & bears to cut the small critters down, it's kinda hush hush but since I got fired by a butt holiest that tho ranger I tell all. They have been doing it fir years.

RvPrepper

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could explain all the "hush hushiness" of the NYSDEC on the large cat topic, but I just don't see any need for predators larger than coyotes. They and the fox will keep smaller animal populations in check and the DEC gives away too many deer permits as it is.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, sorry to hear of your job termination. Now it's time for you to find a pot o' gold and tell them where they can go!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YEP
I been out here in the woods for 23 years and see them big cats some times tan or black colored all my friends see them too....i have seen two big 120 lbs. Wolves in the pasture this year...they keep the Coyotes away ....i think they are guarding treasure.
Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near the MD Pa state line. We saw a BIG tan cougar standing on the side of the road at my HOUSE about 10 years ago. It was only 20 feet away. They are here.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an avid hunter/fisherman near broome/delaware counties. I'm in the outdoors all year long and have seen some very interesting footprints. In fact, just last week I recieved a call from my brother who while hunting came accross very large feline tracks. I've heard many stories of sightings and even of people finding deer carcasses up in trees, which is what felines do to cache food.

From Oct.1st - march 31st I hunt at night for coyotes and fox and I feel the need to say that they can smell a human from 100's of yards away and will flee from humans in a blink. All the stories of coyotes surrounding people are a bunch of phooey! I'm part of a NYS coyote club with 100's of members who are out there just as much as me( atleast 3-4 nights per week) and they would all say the same. I'm not calling the new member here(ce550av8r) a liar, but you can't believe everything you hear, just like the claims of lions/bigfoot sightings. I do believe they could be here, but it won't keep me from going out alone, in the dark, with just my rifle and flashlight to call coyotes.
....North American lions do not cach food in tree's you been watching too many African shows...and as far as you calling BS on that feller you may want to look into coyote human attacks...I can provide you some reading on it if you like?

I was involved in a couple of these cases mentioned in this paper
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v... human attacks by craig coolahan joe bennett"

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP
I been out here in the woods for 23 years and see them big cats some times tan or black colored all my friends see them too....i have seen two big 120 lbs. Wolves in the pasture this year...they keep the Coyotes away ....i think they are guarding treasure.
Gary

I sure would love to seea picture of a Black Cat in the upper US,as would a lot of other biologists,here is some light reading on that subject
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/320813-big-cats-east-tn.html

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yet I see no mention of Eastern Coyotes in this exerpt. Yes there's a difference. Eastern Coyote DNA testing concludes that they recieve DNA makeup from Canadian grey wolves and southeastern red wolves.
I don't recollect saying that I saw cached food personally, so your African show comment can lay in the dirt. I do recall saying that everything you hear isn't always credible.
Here's a little reading on NORTHEASTERN cached food sightingsWolves, Wolf Facts, Cougars, Cougar Facts, Coyotes, Coyote Facts - Wolves, Cougars, Coyotes Forever: Linda McCracken who claims to have seen Pumas in New England, believes that there is a breeding population in the region and who suspects that Pumas

And some more about UPSTATE NEW YORKWolves, Wolf Facts, Cougars, Cougar Facts, Coyotes, Coyote Facts - Wolves, Cougars, Coyotes Forever: A viable Cougar sighting in Upstate NY(Glen Falls Adirondack region).......Remains of killed Goats up in a tree--classic Cougar kill behavior; will t

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
On October 27, 2009 Mitchell was hiking alone during the afternoon on the Skyline Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia. During her hike, she was attacked and fed on by three coyotes. During the attack, a group of four other hikers came across the scene, managed to scare the remaining coyote away and called 911. When emergency crews arrived, she was taken to a hospital in Cheticamp and then airlifted to Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax in critical condition. She died overnight. An officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) later shot a coyote in the park, though the officer could not find the carcass. In the evening, park staff located another coyote and killed it, though there were no signs on its carcass that it had been shot. It is estimated that there were five or six coyotes in the area. In an interview with The Gazette, Brad White, a coyote expert at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario said they might have been coyote-wolf hybrids. However, Don Anderson, a biologist with the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources, said he has seen no reason to suspect the animals were coyote-wolf crosses. Don Anderson noted there are no wolves in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Dr. Brent Patterson of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, however, concludes there is sufficient physical evidence that these coyotes were so-called "Eastern Coyotes." Eastern Coyotes of the Canadian provinces are distant hybrids of Canadian wolves and coyotes that go back generations when the Western Coyotes of the North American Plains regions of the United States, migrated to the Ontario region, and interbred with native wolves. This possibly instilled the dominance and aggressive behaviours displayed by the Cape Breton coyotes.[12] Stan Gehrt, a coyote expert at Ohio State University's school of environment and natural resources suggested that the coyotes were rabid.[13] This theory, however, was proved to be invalid through post mortem examination conducted at the University of Prince Edward Island, of the six exterminated coyotes, three of which could be directly linked to the attack.of the park.[1] Eventually, a total of six coyotes were killed following the attack, but only three could be conclusively linked with the attack by means of stomach contents.[10][11]
In an interview with The Gazette, Brad White, a coyote expert at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario said they might have been coyote-wolf hybrids. However, Don Anderson, a biologist with the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources, said he has seen no reason to suspect the animals were coyote-wolf crosses. Don Anderson noted there are no wolves in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. Dr. Brent Patterson of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, however, concludes there is sufficient physical evidence that these coyotes were so-called "Eastern Coyotes." Eastern Coyotes of the Canadian provinces are distant hybrids of Canadian wolves and coyotes that go back generations when the Western Coyotes of the North American Plains regions of the United States, migrated to the Ontario region, and interbred with native wolves. This possibly instilled the dominance and aggressive behaviours displayed by the Cape Breton coyotes.[12] Stan Gehrt, a coyote expert at Ohio State University's school of environment and natural resources suggested that the coyotes were rabid.[13] This theory, however, was proved to be invalid through post mortem examination conducted at the University of Prince Edward Island, of the six exterminated coyotes, three of which could be directly linked to the attack.
Bob Bancroft, a Nova Scotia wildlife biologist, suggested that the coyotes were inexperienced hunters — hungry and desperate yearlings — and that their predatory instinct was triggered by the singer fleeing instead of standing her ground.[14] In The Gazette, Stan Gehrt thought this might be why the coyotes attacked: "Most canids (coyotes, foxes, and wolves) will attack prey that begin to run away from them. Maybe that's what she did. Unfortunately, there are no witnesses."[13]
Mitchell was only the second fatal coyote attack on a human ever recorded in North America.[15] The first occurred in the United States[16] in August 1981, when 3-year-old Kelly Keen was attacked by a coyote outside her home in Glendale, California.[17]

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Sorry about the choppy cut and paste - some got repeated. // Trust me, I don't believe everything that I hear - but I know what kind of coyote population we have around here and this guy had nothing at all to gain by making up a story about being stuck in his tree stand. I have a CC permit and if I'm in the boonies alone, you better believe I'll be packing. Anyhow... I'm still waiting to hear that the backorders are being filled and my Teknetics Alpha 2000 is finally on its way! Hopefully soon.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, I wasn't trying to downgrade what you wrote and I apologize if it was taken that way. In my opinion and from my 18 years experience of being a NYS hunter/trapper/fisherman, I feel you should absolutely carry your piece, but you probably have a heck more to worry about with 2 legged freaks than you do with wildlife.
I remember that story of the "hiker" being attacked in Canada, but when the story first emerged, she was a jogger and was jogging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions