Beginers luck!

raulduke

Nov 15, 2011
southern N.H.
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently started crh. last week was my first time doing it i walked into my bank and asked for $40 in half dollars. The teller brings out a bag and starts counting them out she said "you know these are all silver." She had a total of $140 worth so i took them all.
I got 101 silver coins, 60 1964, 40 1965-69, and one franklin! I am hooked i orderd 5 boxes.

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction... Life as you know it has changed. You will be checking EVERY coin you get or see from now on.

:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
raulduke

raulduke

Nov 15, 2011
southern N.H.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I've already started checking every coin handed to me. i wish i found this years ago!

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Teller must have no clue what she had on here. Knew they were silver but not that they are more valuable than face. Great score for you!

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
That is beginners luck and a find of a lifetime you are definatly hooked

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
raulduke said:
Thanks, I've already started checking every coin handed to me. i wish i found this years ago!
Years ago, we just spent 'em :tongue3: Today, that's a great haul.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - your first hunt at your first bank. I'd sure say that was one heck of a CRHing start alright. :thumbsup:

That's what we all dream about - to walk into a bank, ask for halves and then a teller brings out a bag and says they are all silver. But it would be a nightmare to be in a situation like that and then the teller says she couldn't sell them to you for some reason. I think I would probably get sick if that ever happened to me.

Anyway awesome score and good luck on the boxes.

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That FINALLY happened to me last week. I walked into a bank (located in a grocery store...you know, one of those smaller, "convenient" branch locations) and asked the tellers if anyone had any half dollars I could buy. The first two tellers said "No, we never see those." But then a nice young lady teller two places over said, "Oh, I have some...they just came in."

So while she proceeds to pull out her cash drawer, she says "They are all pretty dirty, though...are you sure you want them?" She takes out an envelope wrapped up in a rubber band and then dumps the coins out on the counter. As soon as I heard that beautiful "ting!" of silver dropping, I didn't even have to look at them and said, "Sure, I'll take them!"

She proceeded to hand me 15 halves--and all of them were silver. One 90% and 14 40%. I gladly handed her my $7.50 and smiled all the way out to my car knowing I had just scored $80 worth of silver.

It was just dumb luck...and good timing. Wow...timing is everything in this crazy hobby!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaninNH said:
Welcome to the addiction... Life as you know it has changed. You will be checking EVERY coin you get or see from now on.

:icon_thumright:

You can say that again. Every time I get change back I am always looking for that silver edge. Got lucky one time and
received a 1963 quarter, been skunked since then. :laughing7:

Heck, I even try to look at other peoples change at the check out lines when I am done shopping. :laughing9:

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
why would you only ask for $40 worth? best advice is to ask for all they have every time unless you know they are someones dumps.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! you are officially addicted! I had some great beginners luck as well....not to that magnitude but enough that it got me super jazzed right away.

Insert Quote
Monetary restraints.
Posted on: Today at 09:31:05 AMPosted by: alaskanfever
Insert Quote
why would you only ask for $40 worth? best advice is to ask for all they have every time unless you know they are someones dumps.

I don't think theres restraints...OP ordered 5 boxes....probably just testing out the waters.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
great finds! you are officially addicted! I had some great beginners luck as well....not to that magnitude but enough that it got me super jazzed right away.

Insert Quote
Monetary restraints.
Posted on: Today at 09:31:05 AMPosted by: alaskanfever
Insert Quote

I don't think theres restraints...OP ordered 5 boxes....probably just testing out the waters.

I often order with nothing in my pocket and pay when they come in. I was merely offering a suggestion......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread