flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, after a couple of weeks of beach hunting I've found nothing... a few quarters and an 8" steak knife (razor sharp) buried in the sand in a volley ball court where some kids were playing (!!).

Yesterday I decided to hunt a baseball field near me. I'm sure it's been very LIGHTLY hunted. I'm using a Harbor Freight $40 9 function detector, and a garden trowel I've cut teeth into with my grinder. The combo works surprisingly well for such a minimal investment. I found some quarters (used one to buy questionable super hot iced tea with from a young kid on the corner), and a United States Mint Token.. Philadelphia August 14, 1969. Not a bad find! It was at least 6" deep under St. Augustine grass.

I also found a Syringe... AFTER it drew blood :( !!! Not cool! Luckily it was very deep and unlikely to have anything dangerous still alive on it.

Then I found an arrow... about 4" deep. Was relieved it was an arrow, because at first I thought it was a gas line !

It was a tough day. The HF pinpointer stopped working (it gave a constant tone no matter what i did) so I drove to HF in the middle of my session to exchange it. Then I came back to have my HF detector break and the handle. CHINA!!! ARGH! It's ok I had a backup... I purchased two, one for me and one for my daughter. The second one started falseing at the end of each swing so I finally gave up for the day.

I will be getting and Ace 350 this week, so problem solved.

Had a good time. Weather was fantastic here in FL. China, hoping for the best but always getting less than you hoped for, and exactly what you paid for.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.JPG
    IMG_2189.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little glue on the HF detector and it'll be good as new. Congrats on getting out and enjoying the hobby. What kind of token is that I see? Nice to hear you're getting a better detector. GL & HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your finds. The Ace will work better for you than the HF unit.

You seem enthusiastic, and that is the real secret to the hobby. If you have fun and enjoy yourself, then it is a "win". GL&HH!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a overall good day . With that positive attitude you will do very well in the obsession we call a hobby

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See this hobby is addictive. See you spent $40 and got hooked. You'll love a better machine. Good Luck and post your future finds which I'm sure will be many.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I've been detecting for about a year, off and on, and have been lurking here the whole time but had nothing much to share until recently. I'm impressed with the HF detector it really does work well (until it breaks), and the pinpointer mode works great. When I get the new detector I'll rebuild the cheap HF detectors into something more comfortable and durable. I'm really excited about getting the notch filter on the Ace, that will be very useful.

The token is my best find to date. The funny thing is I had my detecting buddy on video chat as I was digging the plug... showing him how great my home made cutter worked in the thick grass ... (we've been recently trying to decide between a hori hori and a lesche) I dug really deep and then pulled out that big token. His reaction was hilarious. It took me awhile to convince him I didn't plant it to mess with him. I think he realized I wasn't joking when I asked him to google it because I had no idea what it actually was. Of course it was almost black with corrosion so it was hard to identify.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread