Gut Feeling and perseverance yields 1868 Shield nickel!!! Finally join the 1800 club

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got that gut feeling about going back to Wheelock Park, given to the city in 1886...Historical Society of Cheshire County history buffs). This park has been hammered for as long as detectors have been available. I got some good stuff I posted last year, but no coins. I was searching around some trees that gave up some old bullets and casings last year and got a decent tone right at the base of a tree. I figured it was another one of these May4Wheel.JPG . After working my way down about 3-4 inches and the roots making it impossible to go any further I was about to fill in the hole as a buried, lost cause. I decided to stick my pinpointer in one last time in between every tangle I could manage to push, shove, twist and grind it through. BINGO! made contact and did not move that pinpointer off that spot until I got my fingers down in there and got a hold of the thing. Pulled it out thinking it was probably a wheatie, took a look and said "nope, too big for a penny, it's a nickel". I looked at the shield side first and did not see the Jefferson Memorial, so, not having seen any of these first hand I didn't know what I had yet. Flipped it over and clearly saw the 5 to confirm it was a nickel, remembered seeing someone post one the other day on here and just about jumped 20 feet up to the nearest branch!! Waited until I got home and could use my magnifier to get the date and have not cleaned it at all. 186811.JPG 186812.JPG I was going to post this picture of a 1904 IH I found last week as my oldest coin...guess I waited long enough to make that a moot claim now!!!:hello2: 190421.JPG 190422.JPG

Upvote 6

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old finds!, love them shield nickels

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheelock Park, as in Allen and Wheelock firearms company? Congrats on the oldies! Sub8-)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on entering the 1800's club. You sure dug a lot to find those 2 coins. If there are any shrubs in the area, I'd detect under them as well as low hanging pine trees. You'll be suprised at what other MDer's missed because it was under a shrub or low pine tree and they can be a pain to get around and under.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting the nickel. The IHC is nice too. You are rocking it! GL&HH.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job on the shield . On my bucket list for sure

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, different Wheelock. The link I posted changed from the direct story to Historical Society home page. The story is on the right hand side near the bottom, called "History Packet No. 2: George A. Wheelock, Naturalist." That is if you are interested.

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on it Loco, tomorrow as a matter of fact :).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread