Beginner Metal Detectors

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I recently wrote a post on my blog after doing some research of what I consider to be the top 10 best metal detectors for the beginner (under $300 price range) and would like to share it with you guys. Let me know what you think...

1) Fisher F2 ($215)

2) Tesoro Silver uMax ($240)

3) Garrett Ace 250 ($215)

4) Tesoro Compadre ($150)

5) Garrett Ace 150 ($155)

6) Teknetics Alpha 2000 ($200)

7) Whites Classic 4 ($290)

8) Bounty Hunter Tracker IV ($100)

9) Titan 1000 ($200)

10) Bounty Hunter Quicksilver ($90)

*These are average prices that I found looking around.
http://www.treasurewriter.com/2010/06/top-10-best-metal-detectors-for-beginners/

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
My first beginner metal detector was a Radio Shack analog model. I paid $99.00 back in 1998. I used it for two years then upgraded to a XLT. Also those machines you posted will do just as well as a $1800.00 machine. It's all in the operator not the machine ;D

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help but think a Teknetics Delta and White's Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro should displace a couple of those listed.

OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
GibH said:
I can't help but think a Teknetics Delta and White's Coinmaster and Coinmaster Pro should displace a couple of those listed.

That may be true GibH, this list was compiled from reviews I was able to find browsing around the net. I personally haven't used a Teknetics or those models of Whites so I have no personal experience. My first metal detector was a White's CoinGetter (old old machine) and I did great with it and now I use a Whites Spectrum XLT and Whites Prizm V.

The point of the list was to create a starting point for people looking for a beginners metal detector. I knew by posting here, you would all offer up great advice and newcomers can read the feedback and make a more educated decision.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cillosis said:
GibH said:

That may be true GibH, this list was compiled from reviews I was able to find browsing around the net. I personally haven't used a Teknetics or those models of Whites so I have no personal experience. My first metal detector was a White's CoinGetter (old old machine) and I did great with it and now I use a Whites Spectrum XLT and Whites Prizm V.

The point of the list was to create a starting point for people looking for a beginners metal detector. I knew by posting here, you would all offer up great advice and newcomers can read the feedback and make a more educated decision.

"Beginner detector" is subjective, my very first detector was the Whites Beach Hunter ID, followed very soon by Excal, then Sov GT. I would have out grew any of those listed with in a month or two......

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say go with a Tesoro as it has a life time warrenty.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nova said:
Also those machines you posted will do just as well as a $1800.00 machine. It's all in the operator not the machine ;D

That's some good ole school thinking you got going there but I have to disagree. :-X

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
nova said:
Hello,
My first beginner metal detector was a Radio Shack analog model. I paid $99.00 back in 1998. I used it for two years then upgraded to a XLT. Also those machines you posted will do just as well as a $1800.00 machine. It's all in the operator not the machine ;D
My first one was the same in 97'. Then I upgraded to the MXT (SMALLER LEARNING CURVE) Duh. Iv'e had it ever since and added a few coils.

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a beginner myself, I've come to realize that not all reviews can be thought of as equal. It really comes down to just getting a metal detector and giving it a run for your money. The best advice I've heard so far is to contact a local MD club if available and ask them. Heck, they may even have a really nice used detector to sell you on the cheap. Thanks for this list though, I'll probably look through this thread before I purchase my second one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread