beginner need advice on location

Clancy

Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Columbia, SC and i just got started panning and am trying to decide which of the two rivers in my area would be more productive. One of the rivers is the Saluda, more specifically the lower between the lake murray dam and Columbia. The other is the broad river. I feel more confident about the broad river. I'm sure the lake has an affect on any gold that might be flowing down from the upstate( where the majority of South Carolina mining operations are), but the lake hasn't always been there. On the other hand, the broad River flows directly through the slate belt. I'm just not sure what to do or where to start. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Upvote 0

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Clancy,

I recently joined the GPAA; Gold Panner's Association of America to learn to pan. The members seem to know all of the best places in each state to find some gold. Here's a little more info for you.

[FONT=&quot]Carolina Slate Belt - Containing the state's most well-known gold producing areas, is a series of rock formations running NE from Union and Anston Counties in South Carolina to Person and Granville Counties in Virginia. In South Carolina, gold mostly occurs in Lancaster and Chesterfield Counties. Kings Mountain Belt - Narrow belt running NE from Abbeville County and McCormick Counties to Cherokee and York Counties. Kings Mountain mine in North Carolina was the largest producer within this belt. The Carolina slate belt and major gold mines (modified from Hatcher and Butler, 1979).

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Most of South Carolina's early production was from placer deposits, with the most productive being the Tanyard Pit and Brewer Mine (1.5 miles west of Jefferson). The Martin Mine (1 mile west of Smyrna) has also produced a considerable amount of placer gold. In fact, a gold nugget weighing 27 pounds was recovered in a field just north of this mine in the 1890s.

You can always ask for permission to hunt on any private property, but there may also be several places you can pan and metal detect in public access areas. Lands offering some great potential may be controlled by the National Forest Service. Contact the local Local Forest Ranger for more information including maps, regulations, and mineral rights. Permission and permits may be required for related activities.

South Carolina's largest gold producing counties are: Cherokee, Chesterfield, Greenville, Lancaster, Oconee, Pickins, Spartanville, Union, and York.

Cheers
[/FONT]:occasion14:[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureWriter,
That is one sweet reply to Clancy, what great input. This is the reason I'm here as folks continue to be so helpful to others.

Good On Ya........63bkpkr

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Clancy,
I would suggest you join the GPAA or find a club in your area to join. You will learn so much. Until then, to get started when on a creek look for the inside bends in the creek and the gravel bars that form there. Work the bars however to get to the good gold you will have to dig deep. Look for gravel benches up on the banks that are left there after floods or formed when the creek changed course. Some benches clould be several hundred feet from the present creek and much higher. Work around large boulders in and out of the creek. Look for exposed bedrock and clean out all depressions cracks and crevices and break apart the bedrock when possible and clean real good. Have fun and good luck!

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread