goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also get a lot of information on them at the My Land Matters sight. See the link in my signature. Go to the maps and select MINING MAPS. GO to the Colorado claims map. Once it loads turn the MINING CLAIMS ACTIVITY layer by clicking on the box and hitting REFRESH MAP (Don't refresh the page with the browser reload button or you go back to step one!) which is the button on the bottom of the map tool bar on the right side of the map. Use the zoom tool to enlarge any area and the move map to move around the map. Once you have zoomed to the area you want to check out, click on the information button and then click the map. a window with all the info for that sector will open up and will often include links for further info.

Land Matters is one of my "go to" sites for research. Learning how to use it is not hard and well worth the time to learn.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you are looking for is mines with a status of "closed". That means the prior claim owner let the claim expire. Mylandmatters will list both active and closed claims in the survey section you click on after you hit the "I" (eye) for information button.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to the TNet. PEACE:RONB

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old actual mines? Land matters may have that.. Freegoldmaps has maps of the old mines, as does mindat.org.

Which of these you use will depend on your goals. The free gold and mindat mentioned just above are great for historical mine info so you can identify an area of interest. They will not show you recently closed claims...you need more current data for that such as mylandmatters.org, LR2000 and of course the county clerk.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread