Beginners Luck Busting Bed Rock

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
So I was checking out a claim we are doing an outing at next week. There was lots of bedrock. I did some sample of gravel bars, mostly flood gold and not a lot of it. I recently watched a video of busting bedrock. The conditions looked ideal. I forgot to mention I packed into this location so I was packing light.

I grabbed my crow bar and started separating the bedrock. The first bucket yielded a nice picker. I kept working the bedrock for a couple of hours. I found it interesting that there were pockets of gravel and rocks under the bedrock I had moved. Here are a couple of pics.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510374145.427281.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510374163.246718.jpg

I also forgot to mention I was running my AM Explorer.

Just thought I’d throw this in for fun. The little guy is seventh generation and my granddaughter (step) will be first generation.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510374515.036803.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring a rake or three or four tined long handled cultivator Mike. Just rake cobble out of your way and work the cracks and crevices from the get go.

Nice picker.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smart and productive choice! My favorite kind of mining.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of my favorite ways to mine is popping decomposing bedrock! Most of the pickers I have grabbed in the last few years have been in cracks. The best is in the summertime when the creeks dry up and you can start using a screwdriver to get in the cracks of exposed bedrock in the middle of the creek. Nice find man!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love decomposing bedrock, some of my best luck using a metal detector for gold is scanning decomposing bedrock to determine where the most black sand has hung up before tearing into it.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love decomposing bedrock, some of my best luck using a metal detector for gold is scanning decomposing bedrock to determine where the most black sand has hung up before tearing into it.
Good tip and thanks for posting N-Lionberger.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Our club had a booth set up at the annual Salmon Festival in Knights Ferry on Saturday. I had the opportunity to speak with a few of the members that have been to this claim in past years. All were impressed with what I found. They all said the same thing regarding this creek being mostly bedrock in the very bottom. I described the area I worked to one of them and they recall a foot or two of overburden gravel in that section of the creek 2-3 years ago. He speculated that the storms last winter moved all that overburden, exposing the bedrock I was working. Befor I left for the day, I ventured upstream and located several good possibilities for future trips. I prepped the area I was working for my return this Saturday. Hopefully the Green Goblin doesn't jump into my hole before I get there. There's one in every club.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be taking the advice given and share with the club members this weekend during our outing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Crew, Nice Gold! :icon_thumright:

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I prepped the area I was working for my return this Saturday. Hopefully the Green Goblin doesn't jump into my hole before I get there. There's one in every club.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be taking the advice given and share with the club members this weekend during our outing.

Oh man, that was yours!? Sorry dude! ;)

Good luck Saturday! Should be nice after this storm moves through and puts a little more water through the ground. I'd almost say that looks like Eagle gold.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Close, very close, but no cigar. Are you too good for us now Andrew? Lol! Why don't you come with us on Saturday?

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! My first chunky small picker was from up there. Nice and rough!

Too scared more like it :laughing7:. I've been playing too many hippy sports(ultimate frisbee) lately :) I'm in a league(like softball) that our final day is this saturday. I'll be coming out more after that, and i'll be there for christmas dinner. Joyce mentioned a few single ladies may be there, im not holding my breath though ::)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember that gold got caught in the bedrock cracks for a reason. If you bust out all the cracks, there will be little place for the gold to catch next flood.

It will take 50-100 years for nice large cracks to develop again.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres a few chunkier pieces in the area in the bedrock. I dug a couple rough pieces from bedrock holes, that now that i think about, i should go back and break as they were literal holes drilled down and through creating nice crevices. And up on the side too, not in the creek :D

Edit - I believe the area is part of the mother load belt? I just googled a couple things and found this. I'd say its pretty darn close ;)

s_mother_lode.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to move, push or spread open a crevice buy this kit. The circled item goes into the crack then attached to the hydraulic press. Harbor Freight $140.00

Hydrualic Press.jpg

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AzViper - what might be the max tonnage the jaws will apply? Yeah, I coulda looked it up myself but this way you get to comment again, maybe about me maybe about the unit maybe about both..thank you.......63bkpkr

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzViper - what might be the max tonnage the jaws will apply? Yeah, I coulda looked it up myself but this way you get to comment again, maybe about me maybe about the unit maybe about both..thank you.......63bkpkr

It says 4 tons, not sure what the max on the spreader might be. There are many companies that make these in many different sizes. Google Hydraulic Spreader then look at images.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions