Beginners luck - Major silver haul.

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I admit, I use the word beginner loosely. The last time I did CRH was 25 years ago as a kid with my dad. He'd buy $100 in pennies and we'd take out gobs of wheaties from them. We weren't smart enough to do dimes or halves back then. Pity, the silver crazy happened a few years later.

Anyway, I'm a meteorite guy who's waiting for the hay to be mowed on my lease to get back out there. So I've got dead time, I saw the forum, remembered what my dad and I did and said "Hey! That'd be fun!" After all, this is my birthday weekend. So I figured I'd hit the banks for halfs and dimes, haul them off to the cabin for the weekend and search.

So here's what happened... The 5 banks 1 mile from me had no halfs. So I bought about $280 worth of dimes from BofA. Then I called up my bank, and the tellers there positively love me. (A few years ago I heard they had $500 worth of Ikes, I called as asked for all of them. They sent a runner to deliver the Ikes to me. And then I proceeded to give the Ikes away for change in my store as a loyalty gimmick)

My bank said they had no rolled halves, but what about a partial bag? (Hmm, maybe I should stop asking tellers for rolls and ask if they have rolls OR BAGS?) I said sure, I'd be over in 20 minutes. So I get there, the teller says it should be good, she saw old coins. I saw a bennie immediately. Yes, she's going to be right. They ask if I want a bag of dimes. Normally, when someone asks if I want a dime bag, I think drug pusher... Anyway, sure, $500 bag of dimes, why not. They say, please don't bring the coins back to that branch. Ok, np. I ask about getting 2 boxes of haves, each week. Tellers say no problem, manager loves me too. Cool.

I ask if they have the rolls, too. Sure, 2 boxes, no problem. That's $500 in boxes, $500 bag. $98 in halves. One of the tellers help carry the coins to my car, she gives me a hug, and sends me on my way. God I love my bank. (Guaranty bank)
OK, so here's the shakedown...

Thursday, The first $250 from BofA yields 2 silver, 1954. Hey, this silver hunting thing works! The batch of halves from Guaranty yield:
1965 - 6
1966 - 8
1967 - 15
1968 - 13
1969 - 9
Bens - 1963, 1952

Wow, great start to my B-day weekend. Aren't Bens supposed to be hard to find?

I'm leaving Friday, the wife and I load the car, I haul the remaining coins in the car, and throw in the dogs after them.

We start the drive, when we get out to the country, I remember the stories on the forum of the road trip successes. I need to try. So I tell the wife, we should stop at the next bank in a small town. We do. They have $200 in halves in the vault. cool.

With her driving, I knock out this yield:
1964 - 3
1965 - 1
1966 - 2
1967 - 7
1968 - 8
1969 - 7
Bens - 1963
Hey, over 70 silvers so far, isn't this supposed to be harder?

So we get to the cabin by the lake, its night, I break open the box of dimes. Clear wrappers, I remember reading a trick of looking at edges. I spot one immediately. Its a mexican coin. Crap. Then I see another a few minutes later. I open that and see its a funny dime, a Mercury. 1941s. Cool. No more in that box.

Then I hit the bag, slow going, halfway thru - Nada, zero, zilch - this bag thing sucks. Just junk foreign coins, malasian, canadian, mexican. Then the other half. Suddenly silver after silver shows up in each handful. Total of 13 silvers. 1947, 1949, 50s, and 60s. Hey, I was expecting a ratio of 2000:1, so 13 beats 4 hands down.

Next day I hit the last box of $250. Paper wrapped. Painful. Unrolling and edge, sliding them out, checking and repacking. Pain in the ascot. Not much fun there. I like the clear, alot. Only find 1. So $500 in boxes yields 2, a merc and a rosie, the $500 bag yields 13. No brainer - I'll skip the boxes next time.

I find 3 banks open near us Saturday. 2 don't have halfs, the 3rd has $200, I get them all. SKUNK. pre-searched. Oh well.

So to sum it up, out of ~$1,740 in change in 3 days, I get 99 keepers.
Total -
40% - 76
80% - 3
3 Bens
16 Rosie dimes
1 Merc

OK, so now I've got lots of kennedies, what do I do with them? I don't like the idea of ebay, listing fee's, ebay cut, shipping cost, paypal cut. Ok for meteorites, but junk silver?

OK, I'll load a pic or two...
Best!

(i've loaded 1 pic, how do i do 2?)

Attachments

• IMG_0975-small.jpg
    IMG_0975-small.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0981-small.jpg
    IMG_0981-small.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul indeed....

I see a 1941-S mercury dime listed.
Is it the small or large mintmark variety? If you haven't seen it I am doing a tracking list in a different thread and 1941-S hadn't been found, but there are two varities. If you aren't sure which variety it is try to post a closeup picture of the mintmark and maybe I can tell from that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread