Beginners luck or no luck?

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the CRH concept, but I went ahead and ordered 3 boxes of halves from my bank, 1 at my usual branch, and 2 at the original branch of the bank (est. 1855). The manager at this last bank told me that I'd have to twist his arm to get him to order coins for me again! The law of diminishing returns has set in. Results:

Box #1 - 2 Uncle Bens, 1 90%, 7 40%, and a guitar pick wedged in between 2 coins!
Box #2 - 1 90%, 2 40%
Box #3 - 1 40%

Is this an average return?

Thanks. jr

Upvote 0

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm too new to have an average but that's pretty interesting you found a guitar pick wedged in there! I've only found coins as of yet. I just found my first Ben today and it was awesome! I found a walking liberty on my first day, beginners luck so far.

good luck and happy hunting!

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Phoenix, AZ here... I stopped ordering boxes of halves after 20+ skunks in a row.

The "F" word for me, is the real "F" word when ordering halves from this city.

F that, I found other ways to score, but it aint boxes.

From what I have seen on the forum, you had above average results. If you don't think it's worth it, may get worse... :tongue3:

Good job though!!! GL, HH

GH

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
jr98119 said:
New to the CRH concept, but I went ahead and ordered 3 boxes of halves from my bank, 1 at my usual branch, and 2 at the original branch of the bank (est. 1855). The manager at this last bank told me that I'd have to twist his arm to get him to order coins for me again! The law of diminishing returns has set in. Results:

Box #1 - 2 Uncle Bens, 1 90%, 7 40%, and a guitar pick wedged in between 2 coins!
Box #2 - 1 90%, 2 40%
Box #3 - 1 40%

Is this an average return?

Thanks. jr

I would say those numbers are slightly better as far as my averages go.... To bad you are gonna have a hard time ordering more boxes. I would take some treats, (coffee... donuts.. candy.. etc) in next time and say hey Mister, "Is this what you meant by twisting your arm to get you to order me some more coins?" -as you hand over the treats. Then, say, if not, let me know, and give that back now so I can take it down the street to my other pick up bank..... (be serious for a sec. when you say that part.). That is what I would do, and I bet you will get your coins for a long time before he mentions that again. just my opinion.

Good luck.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Any day without Fees and Banks that shut you off is above Average.

If I were you, I would already be looking for another bank.

Keep on Rollin' !

bigbadbears

Sep 24, 2008
Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I'll keep it up, but my back is killing me from carrying those boxes. RocDoc - you and I are on the same page, cause I decided last night to give the manager of the 1st branch, who didn't give me a hard time, a nice bottle of wine (better than donuts, cause it can be regifted).

I've got an off topic question - there are references here to the armored services that deliver the coins, Brinks being stinky. What have folks found to be good services and which ones are to be avoided? The boxes I got came from Guarda.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
dossier said:
I'm too new to have an average but that's pretty interesting you found a guitar pick wedged in there! I've only found coins as of yet. I just found my first Ben today and it was awesome! I found a walking liberty on my first day, beginners luck so far.

good luck and happy hunting!

I had a bag of halves from the CU that had 5 guitar picks in there - never found one from rolls though. From my count, they all counted as coins. It makes me wonder if there is something about the size and shape of a guitar pick that fools the machine. I just tossed them into the NAC pile (not-a-coin pile). One of these days, I'll post pics of my NAC pile. It contains: earring, miniature doll head, watch battery, safety pin, bobby pin, guitar pics, tokens, plastic toy coins, and probably other things that I've forgotten to mention.

OP
OP
jr98119

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmn. I took out the guitar pick, put it in the trash, and sealed the roll, so I don't know if it was short or not. The boxes are in my car and will go to the dump bank in the morning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread