Beginners Luck :)

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting into CRH.. my first go round happened today and it yielded two '69 half dollars..

The teller would only give me their loose in the drawer which was 19 coins total. I wasn't expecting anything with such a little haul to sift through.

Side question: Do any of you guys focus hard on Nickels? I'd really like to build up a few roll collection of war nickels.

20201022_230834.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice two 40%ers

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Yes lots of us hunt nickels. I’ve accumulated about 300 war nickels since I started CRH.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nickels are easy to do, but not everyone of us CRHs collect them. You most likely have to look at each coin to see if it's a wartime nic, or quickly check the REVERSE for the big mint mark over the Montecello dome. Good luck, it can be done, and it will become addicting.
Happy Hunting

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on nickels. Not productive enough but after stacking multiple rolls of buffalo, v and war nickels I feel i have enough. For some reason I love dimes. My average stands at 1:1000 silver/clad so every $100 I tend to get one and they are easier to find and then return to the wild than a bag o halves. Covid had me almost recovered from crh but its creeping back into my bones. Its bad I tell you. like I tell the kids about smoking, best if you don't start. Pretty soon you'll think you're just going to the store for milk but 8 hours later you'll realize the milk spoiled somewhere between bank #27 and the next town over lol.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found over 600 war nics, a ton of errors, hundreds of buffs with many HQ & just as many no date. nic-a-date on rare ones have been sold for a nice profit. about 15 decent "V" nics. the nickel winners has recently tanked to scant keepers to sell but a $20 CUD can make that all seem OK:happysmiley:. try 'em, you won't be sad & lonely for long:sad11::icon_biggrin::hello2::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been working on a collection of Jefferson's, need about 15 for a full set. I mostly do halves but am still working on books for wheaties, Jeff's, and Rosies

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly ain't the prettiest coin(This is actually after one mild baking soda bath), but I found my first 90% half today. Lone silver out of 10 rolls.. '53 Franklin

20201027_230232(0).jpg

Attachments

• 20201027_223402(1).jpg
    20201027_223402(1).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Few years back I was roll hunting for war nickels. It became so monotonous for me that I started edge searching them.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Few years back I was roll hunting for war nickels. It became so monotonous for me that I started edge searching them.

How can you determine if war nic just by rim checking. Do they have a different tone color, but then not all are like silver dimes qtrs halves.
You have better eyes than I have. Keep finding & stacking.
The Benji shown is at least 14x FV and NOT SCRAP VALUE as mentioned.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
How can you determine if war nic just by rim checking. Do they have a different tone color, but then not all are like silver dimes qtrs halves.
You have better eyes than I have. Keep finding & stacking.
The Benji shown is at least 14x FV and NOT SCRAP VALUE as mentioned.
Tone color. I double checked myself several times and found I wasn’t missing any by date searching.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels may have been my favorite to search BUT that's assuming you'll look for errors and varieties too! I saved everything from 59 back, If I do it again, I'll probably do 55 and older. I actually found one of the main nickel errors...the 1939 DDR. I also found every coin in the Jefferson Nickel series but it took a long time to find the 1950D. There are lots of RPMs to look for as well.

OO

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the reasoning for saving '59 back? Is it just because these Nickels are simply older and thus more rare?

OP
OP
F

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snagged 2 beauties today.. got 14 rolls today and pulled these two out of them. I have 3 total 40% Silvers now and they are all '69's.

This 1936 WL half is currently my best coin.

20201029_230021.jpg

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the reasoning for saving '59 back? Is it just because these Nickels are simply older and thus more rare?

At the time I was CRHing, that was just the date people started with. There's no real value for a 59 vs a 60. That said, most of the cooler black nickels I found were 59 but you don't have to look for them...you'll notice them. 55 is a rarer date so it just seems like a good cutoff year if I was to start searching again. But there's very little value in any of the 50's except the 50D. And as difficult as it is to find in the wild, many people saved mint examples when they were created so there's not a huge market for the coin.

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, I've been collecting coins since 1963. As of now I have 93 rolls of war nickels. I too look at nickels from 1959 and earlier. Have found Buffalo and V nickels. Before this pandemic, I would go to my banks on Friday. I would buy a little over $2,500 worth of pennies, nickels and dimes. The last $1,500 was for three boxes of halves. Also I'm looking at nickels from 1960 to 1970. If they are AU, I am keeping them. As of now my one bank is only able to order me two boxes of halves. Only found two silver Kennedy's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread