Beginning coin roll hunting, tips and tricks?

Zaza22

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2022
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,
I am new to coin roll hunting. I have had a coin collection for a long time, but usually I just bought coins. I did go to the bank sometimes and got small amounts of pennies and dimes, nickels and quarters, but I usually only spent about 20 bucks or less every time I went. It was jut something cool to do to me, and I never really invested a lot into it
But now, I want to start with something small, maybe like a box of halves. Then maybe later getting more and more boxes of other things as well, not just halves. Ik that I need a dump bank and a bank that I pick them up at. Is there any tips or tricks or Strats that anyone could share? Would appreciate it. Im just excited to get into this. I won't be coin much, since I am a college student right now. Thanks for your contributions.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had better luck by buying all the CWR (customer wrapped rolls) then boxes because a lot of people don't realize all the coin they got from grandpa was silver. Or they just roll all the coin they have and don't know any better.

OP
OP
Z

Zaza22

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2022
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I have heard that is better. Do I have to have the bank order them, or should they have them. If I have to have them order the halves, what specifically should I ask them?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have heard that is better. Do I have to have the bank order them, or should they have them. If I have to have them order the halves, what specifically should I ask them?
Cwr would be at the bank not something you order. You just need to ask tellers if they have any customer wrapped rolls of coin.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I am new to coin roll hunting. I have had a coin collection for a long time, but usually I just bought coins. I did go to the bank sometimes and got small amounts of pennies and dimes, nickels and quarters, but I usually only spent about 20 bucks or less every time I went. It was jut something cool to do to me, and I never really invested a lot into it
But now, I want to start with something small, maybe like a box of halves. Then maybe later getting more and more boxes of other things as well, not just halves. Ik that I need a dump bank and a bank that I pick them up at. Is there any tips or tricks or Strats that anyone could share? Would appreciate it. Im just excited to get into this. I won't be coin much, since I am a college student right now. Thanks for your contributions.
Just to warn you, when you start ordering weekly boxes, this hobby becomes more "job" than "hobby." It will take some of the fun out of it, I assure you. Ordered boxes mean you MUST make sure you have the spare cash and be at the bank to pick up your coins promptly...week after week...month after month...year after year. You are absolutely now obligated to do so and have lost the freedom of just roll hunting when you want to/have the time/have the spare cash/etc. And, that's IF you can even find a bank(s) willing to order boxes for you and another to take your rejects all free of charge. That isn't a given. If you do find banks willing to do this, you MUST, MUST, MUST keep your end of the bargain and do what you say you will do, when you say you will do it. Nothing irks a bank faster than ordering a box of halves for someone and then that person never shows up to claim it.

I used to do this as well as sometimes take all-day road trips hitting as many banks as possible looking for half dollars. While I did add a bunch of silver to the pile, if you figure in all the expenses and time, I bought it all and with silver at $24/oz, I didn't get a great deal. I would be silver ahead had I used that time instead to get a minimum wage part-time job and used the pay to buy silver. So if you're thinking you will "make money" doing this, forget it. Its akin to buying a lottery ticket. 99%+ of people would be money ahead by simply not playing at all.

Many view this as a "free" hobby, but I assure you it is not. With that said, most hobbies cost money. Golf can be ridiculously expensive. A top of the line bass boat is now in the $100,000 range. Don't let anyone tell you how to spend your own money, including me. If you enjoy the search enough to warrant the expense, go for it! I absolutely loved the search. I could happily search several thousand half dollars every day. But, I absolutely hated dumping. That took most of the fun out of it for me. I began to dread pickup day, knowing that meant another dump day. My advice for you and anyone else thinking about getting into this would be to keep it small and fun for awhile before ramping it up and turning it into a job that doesn't pay well at all.

OP
OP
Z

Zaza22

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2022
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to warn you, when you start ordering weekly boxes, this hobby becomes more "job" than "hobby." It will take some of the fun out of it, I assure you. Ordered boxes mean you MUST make sure you have the spare cash and be at the bank to pick up your coins promptly...week after week...month after month...year after year. You are absolutely now obligated to do so and have lost the freedom of just roll hunting when you want to/have the time/have the spare cash/etc. And, that's IF you can even find a bank(s) willing to order boxes for you and another to take your rejects all free of charge. That isn't a given. If you do find banks willing to do this, you MUST, MUST, MUST keep your end of the bargain and do what you say you will do, when you say you will do it. Nothing irks a bank faster than ordering a box of halves for someone and then that person never shows up to claim it.

I used to do this as well as sometimes take all-day road trips hitting as many banks as possible looking for half dollars. While I did add a bunch of silver to the pile, if you figure in all the expenses and time, I bought it all and with silver at $24/oz, I didn't get a great deal. I would be silver ahead had I used that time instead to get a minimum wage part-time job and used the pay to buy silver. So if you're thinking you will "make money" doing this, forget it. Its akin to buying a lottery ticket. 99%+ of people would be money ahead by simply not playing at all.

Many view this as a "free" hobby, but I assure you it is not. With that said, most hobbies cost money. Golf can be ridiculously expensive. A top of the line bass boat is now in the $100,000 range. Don't let anyone tell you how to spend your own money, including me. If you enjoy the search enough to warrant the expense, go for it! I absolutely loved the search. I could happily search several thousand half dollars every day. But, I absolutely hated dumping. That took most of the fun out of it for me. I began to dread pickup day, knowing that meant another dump day. My advice for you and anyone else thinking about getting into this would be to keep it small and fun for awhile before ramping it up and turning it into a job that doesn't pay well at all.
Thanks for the advice. One quick question. When you order boxes, do you have to order them and set up a once a month or week system, or can you order what you want when you go to the bank and then next time you go, ask them to make another order for you? so instead of ordering a certain amount every time cycle, you just make a different order every time you go to the bank? I know that it might be inconvenient for the bank, but is it possible? not saying I will do this, but its just a thought.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. One quick question. When you order boxes, do you have to order them and set up a once a month or week system, or can you order what you want when you go to the bank and then next time you go, ask them to make another order for you? so instead of ordering a certain amount every time cycle, you just make a different order every time you go to the bank? I know that it might be inconvenient for the bank, but is it possible? not saying I will do this, but its just a thought.
You'll just have to talk the person in charge of that at the bank(s) at which you're hoping to order.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
It's not the buying them that is usually hard it is getting rid of them that is the challenge and can take quite a bit of time. Find a bank that will accept full bags of single denominations where you can deposit them into your account. Having at least 5k in that account can help also.

Maine_Jim

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank manager stated that they always check every roll of coins that come in and they keep all the Silver coins. Reminds me of what I see when I check the Coinstar reject tray. The store employees nail all the good stuff!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Many people limit themselves to searching for silver. In my opinion, that is shortsighted.

Learning the various varieties, while not the road to riches, is easily a road to greater cash flow. There are many collectors who make efforts toward obtaining varieties, and will pay a premium to do so.

Errors and damaged dies. Most people put these together under the category of “errors”. That is fine. An error could be something as simple as a minor or major die crack. On older coins, when the branch mints stamped mint marks into individual dies, placement, correct size and style, orientation, and repunched mint marks all occurred. These are in demand with collectors, too.

There are several other errors that would take a lot of time to note. All have interested collectors. Most types are noted in the annual Red Book. Get one. Very informative.

Do not discount interest in foreign coins. Even as curiosities they have value. Especially obsolete coins.

I do not collect. Accumulation for others seems to fit me well. When I get enough coins to send messages to my lists of collectors, I do so.

Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those who re-roll their DUMPS are getting REAL annoying. make an effort to DUMP in a free machine like a considerate hunter does. your dumps are polluting the hopes of us who welcome CWR's only to find a roll of road kill & useless crap. C'MON MAN---- do it right or go collect PEZ:BangHead:
:BangHead::angry4::angry5:

Hinterlander

Dec 28, 2016
AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those who re-roll their DUMPS are getting REAL annoying. make an effort to DUMP in a free machine like a considerate hunter does. your dumps are polluting the hopes of us who welcome CWR's only to find a roll of road kill & useless crap. C'MON MAN---- do it right or go collect PEZ:BangHead:
:BangHead::angry4::angry5:
I would love to be able to dump mine in a machine, but all the banks that I have been to only accept rolled. It would save me a lot of time and the cost of buying 1000 wrappers every month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions