Being a diehard paid off, first silver of 2020 and it’s a capped bust!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were calling for snow today, but being a diehard I figured I would go swingin anyway and work until the snow got too deep to push my coil through. Boy am I glad I did.

Things started off slow with a few coins and odds and end of brass and a couple of tabs. I was doing the usual cleanup mode and digging all mid and high tones and any combo with mid and high. I detected for about an hour and a half before the snow started to fall. After about an hour of snow falling I was not finding many diggable targets and the snow was around an inch and a half deep. I scrub the ground with my coil so I was pushing a lot of snow around. I decided I had had enough and headed for the truck. I was swingin the CZ haphazardly as I went hoping to pick up one or two last coins before I left. I got a weak high tone decided to dig it. I popped the plug and scanned it with the coil, no signal so it’s still in the hole. I got out the pinpointer and was getting ready to use it when I looked in the hole and saw a dark gray disk beside a rock in the hole. It looked small and sure enough it was half dime size. I was getting excited because I haven’t found a half dime since 2003. I put it on the plug and took a picture. I couldn’t see it very well because it was cloudy, dark and the snow was really pelting down. I was getting ready to put it in the padded box when I took a closer look and I really got excited IT WAS A CAPPED BUST!!! My first capped bust!!! I actually said Oh My God out load I was so excited.

E3451C00-6F06-42EC-8A47-D2988826A4B8.jpeg

I put the plug in the hole and was ready to leave but then decided I needed to recheck the hole and do a search of the area to be sure she didn’t have a sister nearby. But no sister.

She looks really great for being almost 200 years old. Most of the details are sharp and nice. Unfortunately the back has a fresh dink on the eagles wing and into the U in UNUM. It was in the middle of the hole so I don’t think I make direct contact. The only thing I can think of is that when I dug into the rocky soil I pushed the rock into the coin and caused a scratch. Why couldn’t she have been in a part of the field where the good soil goes deep instead of the rocky part? This was a civil war camp that had houses built on it after the war. Those houses were torn down to build a school in the early 1900s so the ground conditions vary because of all the earthmoving done over the years. For this coin to survive all that in great shape and then get damaged during the recovery is very upsetting. :BangHead: Even with that it is still a marvelous find to me and almost a full day later I still find it hard to believe I found it here in the mountains.

0A1B4281-1AAB-45DC-94EC-35A19CBE3BBC.jpeg 0FCC9F1D-F977-45EE-8451-1134D8C5E4D0.jpeg

So another big one off the bucket list. I know the scratch lowers the value of the coin, but I am still thrilled with the find. When I saw people posting them I thought I had a snowballs chance of finding one. I guess it just had to be snowing and for me to be pushing snow with my coil for it to happen. :laughing7: Here’s what my detector looked like when the snow was about 3/4 of an inch deep. The only good thing is you can really see where you have swung the coil so you can be sure to cover every inch of ground.:tongue3:

B395499C-B4F1-4255-AAA4-1A9A41E8466C.jpeg

In the 2.5 hours of detecting I found 29 coins with a face value of $1.46, what looks like part of a cosmetics lid, a brass pin without the pin back, the brass rim of a paper key tag, a gas valve, a button like object, 3 starter pistol blanks and the capped bust half dime.

A2C03D07-C2FF-4E31-BE26-A41094082406.jpeg

The button like object has a fancy C on it has an old hit on the side. It does not have a shank. It has a wide stub on the back and no back markings so I am not sure exactly what it is. Ideas would be welcome.

A435CB42-818F-493A-AD09-6FA095E79C3A.jpeg 1C902E9A-BA9A-437D-800A-E782891B1F75.jpeg

This is part of what looks like a cosmetics lid with a Chinese style design popular in the 20s and 30s in the center. It has a lift tab at the bottom and a gap at the top that looks like where the hinge would have been. It has some remnants of rusty metal fastened to the center of the back so this may have been part of some sort of covering on a steel lid.

01182F7D-783D-494F-8932-AD21271B13D7.jpeg

2 of the starter blanks are marked with an acorn and the third has a zig zag with an arrow head on the end.

DE830996-D194-40DF-93E6-597CBB424C14.jpeg

So this was an average hunt that happened to be during a snow storm that turned into a fantastic one with the last hole on the way back to the truck. It seems like the great find in the last hole on the way out happens a lot. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things too. (Like mine did)

Upvote 53

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capped Bust coinage is always welcome, but doesn't visit very often. Looking at your other finds, that would have been one of the last things I would have expected.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Capped Bust coin and the rest of your finds.

FrostyMiner

Greenie
Jan 3, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro | Ground EFX MX100E | Minelab Pro-Find 15
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That is a rare coin. One day I will find one. ;)

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent way to get into 2020! It's always a bit sweeter when you brave the elements!!! nice coin! I'd like to find one of those this year! Thanks for sharing the excitement!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yow! Beautiful coin! I remember when I found an 1832 half dime in about the same condition as yours. Thrilling!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome I've never found one yet boy you are a die hard good job nice post it was fun to read. Keep rippin my friend. Tommy

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That half dime is spectacular. I hope I find one someday. Even with the scratch it is a beauty, and at least the scratch is on the reverse. Big congrats to you.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice wounded wing half dime! Got to love finding Bust Silver..... Maybe lost with big brothers and sisters? Congratulations

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations :occasion14:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capped bust!!!!

What a great find. One day I might find one.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is incredible! I just posted one of the same exact date a few weeks ago, and I thought mine was in fantastic shape- yours is even better. BIG congrats for that little coin!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread