Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a question for everyone. If you are being asked to leave a property, what would the niciest way you could be asked? I was involved in an bad situation this week where I ( as part of my job) where I had to ask a detectorist to leave an area. I feel terrible about it for a number of reasons. If it happened an hour or so later chances are that I would have been able to let the detectorist stay.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if it's your job or you had the right to ask them to leave, I would tactfully say, "I will have to ask you to leave because??" or depending on what the persons reaction would be. That would be a good starting point.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy ask me to leave and he had a pair of lopping shears in his hands and the look of the Devil in is eyes. I still got to go pay him a visit right BB? BTW I had permission to be there he was a neighbor who thought he had lost his wedding band in the area we were hunting. If he only new how happy I would have been to find it for him and gladly give it back. What a retard! He screwed himself!

KFB

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the nicest way would be simple,just ask me to leave and explain why of course. There are some out there that are just plain rude and can become threatening. If they had permission than it could be upsetting but if it's your job to have them leave than just explain where the reason came from.

I hunted once at a very old home that an elderly gentleman owned and he granted me permission to hunt and even gave me a few history tips of the place. I hunted for about 30 minutes and found several old coins and than the guys son shows up.Hollering at me before he even got out of the car and telling me i had no right being there and what the heck did I think I was doing trespassing. I had to think real hard before i answered because i done went into the defense mode,lol. I told him that the older gentleman give me permission and he was the only one with the problem of me being there. Well,than he starts telling me that he has the power over the estate and his decision is what goes and i needed to leave. So I told him that i was sorry that he wasn't home when i got there and it wasn't him that i asked.

I do my very best to respect people but when someone disrespects me without proper reason or not even knowing me or what's going on, Well than i will do my very best to let known,what kind of person they are.

Nova Treasure

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big believer in choosing my battles.

If this is something that had to be done, I would stay calm, introduce myself, tell the person that you are required to ask him to leave, tell him why (job, or whatever), and, if it was ok for him to return later, then let him know when, or let him know who he can ask permission from.

Most md-ers that I know would take that well - especially if there was a specific reason (even if it is that trespassing or mding is not allowed).

If you have a problem with the person after that, then, you have to do what you have to do, but, being a treasure-hunter yourself, a short conversation about your hobby may help soothe the bad news.

B

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
(With a smile) "Hi, how are you today? My name is (so-and-so) and I work for (such-and-such) who owns this property. You may not be aware, but (such-and-such) does not allow metal detecting on their property. I must inform you that you need to leave the property, however, I know of this place down the road where you might want to check...."

Then, as someone else indicated - if they want to get into a p'in match with you, just call the local law enforcement for your area to deal with the trespasser.

My question is, why was he/she on the property without permission? This is what gives us all a bad rap (the poster who had permission prior to the son showing up is an exception to the bad rap, since he did have permission).

Good luck to all and HH!

Lookin

OP
OP
mrjosh

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I didnt that I didnt give many details. I had a church/staff member come to me and a coworker upset that someone was using a metal detector and digging on our property. The approach that I used was, I walked up to the man and asked if he was having any luck, when he told me that his results were not what he was expecting. I said that i may have been hunted before. Then I said that I had a member complain. This 'member' is in a position where she could really cause me problems. It wasn't til a hour or so later that I was able to talk to the minister. I wish I had called him first, his only problem was that the guy had not asked permission. The minister I found out always wanted to try mding but never realy had the time to start.

OP
OP
mrjosh

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had detectorist on the property before without permission. But this was during some construction and in areas away from truff. The member would probally have had problems with this also but I had already spoke with my supervisor before talking to them. We allowed them to stay. They are the reason I got back into detecting. We all need to seek permission before going onto a private, or questionble property. If he had come up to me before I could have made a phone call and likely allowed him to stay. Even if this member complained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread