Benedict Arnold, 2 Mercs, Babe Ruth, great views...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Fun day all around. I met up with "Submerged" from the forum here in the Hudson Valley area of NY. You've seen some of his great posts of colonial coin finds (which I had the pleasure of seeing up close). We hiked the exact trail noted by historical marker where Benedict Arnold fled to the Hudson River just ahead of Gen. Washington to be picked up by the British ship "Vulture" (interestingly enough). For those who don't recall his treason, he was in charge of West Point and was trying to give it to the British for $. We hiked about 1/4 mile to the Hudson and no luck with colonial stuff but there on the cliffs above the river in the middle of nowhere I found a 1926 Merc (no camera handy right now for photos) and a really worn down Merc that's about half the size of normal (weird thing is that worn down one gives me a nickel sound, any idea why?). We then went to the coolest mansion house overlooking the Hudson with spectacular views of West Point and the Hudson from the other side (east) of the river. It's now owned by a religious org. but was owned in the early 1900s by Col. Jacob Ruppert, who owned the Yankees and built Yankee stadium in 1923. We learned all this when we asked permission. They handed us a history of the place, it's a 40 room mansion you'd see in the movies. Cooler yet, they took us in a big room with a large wood table in the middle covered by plastic and it was the table at which Babe Ruth signed his first Yankee contract. Ruppert bought the Yankees for $450,000 in 1914 and he also served 4 terms in Congress in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It said at this house he had one of the world's largest collections of monkeys, peacocks and wild birds. After all that, I found a 1955 wheatie and submerged found a newer quarter, but it was a very cool place to visit. Fun day all around...

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, thanks for sharing!

HH

lonewolfe

F

Floater

That is a great day and you get to have the real history too.That is pretty wild looking over the Hudson from the Cliffs. I have been to one of the turnouts that you can go and view the river from just south of WestPoint and Middletown. It is spectacular. Thanks for the Post Bergie.HH

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interesting post. I enjoyed reading about all the history. It sounds like you had a good time learning some history and even had some finds. H H !

Huntin 59er

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
The answer to your question is what's left of the dime has the same electric conductivity as a nickel. Appropriate isn't it? Half a dime reading as a nickel. ?;D

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Cool, thanks for the update and all the comments everyone. Turns out "Submerged" had a good find or two after I left. I think he will add to this string soon.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver seems to always ring up louder and larger than real life, probably due to conductivity as already stated. I have only found silver twice but both times I immediately knew it was silver just from the loudness and clarity of the tone. I hunt with Garrett products and for some reason a dime will ring through much louder and clearer than a quarter. JIM

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
That is a cool story,

Oddly enough I just bought a book about Benedict Arnold and his expedition "secret mission" to Quebec in 1775. My town is on the Kennebec River which was used by Arnold and his army of 1100 colonial troops to travel through the Maine wilderness on his way to Canada. I plan to hunt part of this historical pathway this year. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the story

JT

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
Like bergie stated it was great to dig into history above and below the dirt. On the end of the hunt I found 1 boyscout neck tie shield a weblos shield and a 18?? canadian silver dime. Funny how just asking permission leads to a early Yankee history lesson. It just goes to show ya that you never know what your going to find when your out detecting. Some of my best finds are the history and not allways the artifact. Need to charge the batteries in the camera I'll post the pics later.

-E-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread